Interesting read regarding full-backs

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Interesting read regarding full-backs

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:56 pm

Regarding the Bridge / Richards / Zabba arguement which Vhero is billybigbolloxing over, I think many fans on here argued that tese positions weren't priority, rather than never needed attention. At the time the strikeforce wasn't what was needed as well with Midfield. Now they have been addressed, we can put all efforts into signing new fullbacks, which were priority number 2 to a lot of posters at the time. Thats how I felt anyway.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Fish111 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 pm

sweenyuk wrote:I still think we need a new goalie. I am just not a fan of Shay. He is not a big game player. This was shown in the Derby and against Arsenal even though we won. The teams that get fustrated by our defence and start pinging in long shots at goal, he will save every time and make the saves look spectacular. The teams clever enough to walk through our defence have no problem scoring against him. Shay can not use his feet at all. If the defence play a back pass he either kicks it out for a throw in or to an opponent, so he is not seen as a route to take pressure off the team. No idea who would replace him, Hart is still not ready for the level we want to play at, so we will need to look elsewhere

I don't know why but i actually laughed out loud to that post. It makes rag-haters posts look quite sensible and reasoned.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john68 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:38 pm

I thought it was an interesting piece but I also think much of it was from Ladyman's own deductions rather than direct from the club. I cannot see Hughes making statements to the press that would unsettle the present squad between now and the Jan transfer window.
Our box to box midfielders seem to successful in that they do give the team energy and they are available both in attack and defence. A creative midfielder would give us an extra option when trying to unlock tight defences...and we know from Doug's reports that it is something the players have been working on.
The full back positions do need strengthening but as Hughes's policy has been to buy players who already have good Prem experience, I don't see either of the Barca players being targets.

...and that post about Given was funny.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:Regarding the Bridge / Richards / Zabba arguement which Vhero is billybigbolloxing over, I think many fans on here argued that tese positions weren't priority, rather than never needed attention. At the time the strikeforce wasn't what was needed as well with Midfield. Now they have been addressed, we can put all efforts into signing new fullbacks, which were priority number 2 to a lot of posters at the time. Thats how I felt anyway.

so you and vhero are having tea together sometime soon?

maybe play a video game with him and get to know him better. Let me know how you two get on.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:Regarding the Bridge / Richards / Zabba arguement which Vhero is billybigbolloxing over, I think many fans on here argued that tese positions weren't priority, rather than never needed attention. At the time the strikeforce wasn't what was needed as well with Midfield. Now they have been addressed, we can put all efforts into signing new fullbacks, which were priority number 2 to a lot of posters at the time. Thats how I felt anyway.

maybe play a video game with him and get to know him better. Let me know how you two get on.

cheers

I'd rather you and I imitated our favourite number together

xxx
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Beeks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:53 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

xxx

This forum is so fucking gay it's untrue...latent homosexuality bubbling under the surface...
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

xxx

Eight?

im not small for a reason.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:49 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

xxx

This forum is so fucking gay it's untrue...latent homosexuality bubbling under the surface...

i've never heard someone on this forum beg for a moutfucking more than this post. amazing.

im going to wash up. horrible stuff.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:38 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
sweenyuk wrote:I still think we need a new goalie. I am just not a fan of Shay. He is not a big game player. This was shown in the Derby and against Arsenal even though we won. The teams that get fustrated by our defence and start pinging in long shots at goal, he will save every time and make the saves look spectacular. The teams clever enough to walk through our defence have no problem scoring against him. Shay can not use his feet at all. If the defence play a back pass he either kicks it out for a throw in or to an opponent, so he is not seen as a route to take pressure off the team. No idea who would replace him, Hart is still not ready for the level we want to play at, so we will need to look elsewhere

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!

AMEN.
I guess sweeny didn't see the saves Shay made against the Sucm !!!!
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:40 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!

AMEN.
I guess sweeny didn't see the saves Shay made against the Sucm !!!!

How about his first game in charge. Not long shots, no pinging at goal, genuine through chances that came about from being completely exposed by his own defence. Alves should have had 4 if not for Shay.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:42 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

xxx

Cum here and give us a cuddle. Patrick, bring out the gimp.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:53 pm

A mate of mine wrote about this Ladyman article in his blog recently - it was the first time I had seen his blog, but i found it surprisingly quite good and entertaining ...

http://my.opera.com/lando78/blog/2009/1 ... cal-master

Transfer rumour time is upon us with the international break just around the corner.

The Daily Mail's Ian Ladyman has come up with the strangest case of urinating in the wind so far. Not because of the 3 names mentioned, more so for the timing of the revelations.

He states that Hughes wants to replace Micah Richards, Paulo Zabaleta and Wayne Bridge in the January transfer window.

Now lets think about this for a minute. Firstly, Hughes is supposedly upset with right back Richard's training application and inability to learn his position. So maybe there is some truth in the matter there.

Secondly, he does rate Zabaleta, just not as a 1st choice right back or defensive midfielder. He sees him as Mr Versatility (Our John O'Shea or Phil Neville).

Not content with destroying the confidence of the whole right side of the defence, Sparky has decided to have a go at dismantling the left as well, or so Mr Ladyman would have us believe.

"Ahh Javier Garrido!" I hear you say. Even the a blindman can see he's not made the grade as a premier league full back, lets ship him out. Well no actually, Ladyman goes on to say that Hughes is not happy with Wayne Bridge's performances recently.

The Ladyman continues to single Bridge out for his weak Derby performance and defensive frailties at set pieces (Hardly the rest of the defence's greatest game or forte). Forgetting conveniently that Bridge was close to being man of the match against Villa and has been what Steven Ireland was to last season- our most improved player by a mile.

Nearer to the truth, may be the fact that Mr Ladyman hasn't actually watched the Blues this season apart from
in the Derby. For who in their right mind would want their 3 senior fullbacks to know that they were not wanted after only 7 games of the season?

Any Blue knows that Hughes is very discreet at the bet of times, always supporting his players (Robinho - rape accusations/ Dunne - Captain until he decides to leave/ Petrov - consummate professional) in public at least.

For all of last season, every Blue and his dog knew of the friction betwen him and Elano, but not once did he condemn him in the press. As soon as the season was over however, it was a different story with 'Ela' being shipped out to the furthest possible European outpost he could find (Turkey and Galatasaray). The same is happening at the moment with Petrov and maybe to a lesser extent Richards.

Back to the story now, not forgetting we have Silvinho on our books as well from Barca, what does Lazyman (the man in the know) suggest our Gaffer has in mind to solve this defensive crisis? One that has put us in the precarious position of 4th in the Premier League with a game in hand over our rivals.

Thats right you've guessed it ... Daniel Alves and Christian Chivu are on the verge of signing on the dotted line 2 world class full backs at the peak of powers. Well no actually, The Ladymeister thinks Hughes has a better strategy.

To offload over 25 million pounds worth of talent and replace it with Eric Abidal and Carlos Puyol, 30 and 31 respectively, with no Premier League experience and not wanted by Barcelona for the same reason Richard Dunne wasn't wanted by City- for being past their peak! Champion just champion.

Now I would love to finish on a quote from our Commander in Chief, but of course there aren't any, are there Ian?

So instead I'll finish with a quote of some sorts. Jog on please Mr Ladyman and in the famous words of a certain Mr Royle (not that one), "My Arse!"
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Colin the King » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 am

On the topic of full backs, I wonder if Hughes will look at, in certain situations like against Stoke or Everton, shifting Lescott across to the left and bringing in either Ned or Kompany (when fit obviously) to the centre to give us added height. It could work well for us, even one extra tall player when you're up against teams like those two who are all about aerial bombardment could be worth points. And Lescott can definitely play left back, and very well too I think.

He could even go all out and substitute Zabs and Bridge, and run with a back four of Ned-Touré-Kompany-Lescott. Less composure and attacking prowess but maybe we should sacrifice that in the physical games.

Thoughts?
Colin the King

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:31 am

Vhero wrote:He is saying though we need a new RB though something I been saying for a long time with most if not all disagreeing with me on here. People are just too blue tinted to see things sometimes on here. Set pieces are a serious problem though again this year we got rid of that problem last year..

Not all for sure - I have been screaming it throughout last season - and I sense that other have also given up on Micah - nowhere near good enough
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:47 am

Colin the King wrote:On the topic of full backs, I wonder if Hughes will look at, in certain situations like against Stoke or Everton, shifting Lescott across to the left and bringing in either Ned or Kompany (when fit obviously) to the centre to give us added height. It could work well for us, even one extra tall player when you're up against teams like those two who are all about aerial bombardment could be worth points. And Lescott can definitely play left back, and very well too I think.

He could even go all out and substitute Zabs and Bridge, and run with a back four of Ned-Touré-Kompany-Lescott. Less composure and attacking prowess but maybe we should sacrifice that in the physical games.

Thoughts?

Now that is the sort of thinking that our squad allows - we should be setting up directly in response to the opposition whilst not breaking our own structure(s) = sounds good thinking to me

Re the Ladyman quote

1/ We all know now that there is no bigger news source for transfer windows than CITY

2/ We know that our club has become tighter than a ducks arse re leaks

3/ So we can all assume that any such article is just the assumptions of some individual journo and in no way related to the club
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum