Interesting read regarding full-backs

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Interesting read regarding full-backs

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Ladyman with another piece about the Blues, he got alot right over the summer aswell so there could be something in this...

Manchester City's remarkable assault on the Barclays Premier League title will be bolstered by at least three signings in the January transfer window as manager Mark Hughes looks to build on his team's impressive start to the season.
Hughes has taken his expensively assembled City team to the top four of the Barclays Premier League on the back of some attention-grabbing football that has announced their arrival as a genuine top-flight force.
It is understood that Hughes, who spent more than £120million this summer, has been given the go-ahead by the club's owners to take the next step in the New Year after he made it clear that his squad still need a right back, a left back and another creative midfielder.
With Hughes' team likely to be in or around the Champions League places in January, chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak has indicated to the manager that he will be given whatever it takes to ensure qualification for next season's competition.
The lure of Champions League football will also make it easier to attract star names to Eastlands, something that handicapped the club when they tried to sign John Terry from Chelsea and Kaka from AC Milan last January.
This tangible shift in status spells bad news for the rest of the Premier League and also for the current City full backs - Micah Richards, Pablo Zabaleta and Wayne Bridge.
As Sportsmail revealed last season, Hughes has harboured doubts about former England defender Richards since becoming boss and he has now lost patience with the 21-year-old's average training efforts and failure to understand the tactical and positional side of the defending art.
Argentina defender Zabaleta has played at right back since Richards struggled so much in the Manchester derby defeat but he remains very much a stand-in and Hughes will do what he can to solve the problem when the transfer window opens after Christmas.
Time to turn things round: But Wayne Bridge has not lived up to his manager's expectations
Bridge has time on his side to prove that he should command the left back position regularly after Hughes bought him for £14m from Chelsea 10 months ago.

Nevertheless, the England squad player has not been as influential as Hughes had hoped, and his failure to impress in the game at Old Trafford has been noted. The onus is on him to have a good couple of months as the richest club in the country prepare to flex their muscles again. Having won five and drawn one of their seven League games so far, City have more than lived up to their pre-season billing.
However, Hughes and his coaching staff remain concerned at some of their team's defending.
This was particularly the case in the 4-3 defeat by Manchester United, their previous win over Arsenal and during Monday's 1-1 draw at Aston Villa.

Vulnerability at set-pieces, for example, was something that troubled City last season and the problem has returned. Bridge has been particularly culpable, although it must be said that midfielder Gareth Barry has begun to suffer from the malaise, too.
Hughes is known to be an admirer of Barcelona pair Carlos Puyol and Eric Abidal. The duo are 31 and 30-years-old respectively, something that would place
immediate question marks over their ability to settle quickly to the pace and fury of the Premier League, but with the Catalan club so keen to sign Robinho in January the potential for a playerplus- cash deal is obvious.
City are not looking to push Robinho out of the door but the Brazilian may struggle to win a regular place when he recovers from a stress fracture of a leg in a couple of weeks. He is not likely to tolerate too much time on the fringes, especially in a World Cup year. Certainly, City would listen to offers.
In midfield, Hughes has been on the look-out for another playmaker. A huge fan of Xabi Alonso, who eventually left Liverpool for Real Madrid, the City boss would like a player in a similar mould.
Such players will not come cheap and prices automatically go up a notch when City are doing the bidding. But, having found £120m-plus for Hughes to spend in the summer, there is no sign yet of the club's Arab owners tightening their belts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Re: Interesting read regarding full-backs

Postby ronk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 am

Not as much fun saying that we mightn't sign anyone.

Abidal and Puyol wouldn't make a lot of sense. An additional midfielder might be a good idea but we have lots of decent options so we'd really have to be talking about someone seriously good. Be surprised to see that happen in January, but you never know.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:37 am

We need 1 more defender in my opinion. Kompany and Ned are currently unfit and unless Sylvinho is going to be removed from The Berti position we look a bit short.

The problem is do we get another back up, and is there one good enough for our side, happy enough to be back up, or do we go for top quality and risk current players being disgruntled if they all manage to be fit at the same time in the future?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Elvistheblue » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:22 am

Not sure what to make of this.....I actually think Bridge has started the season very well and Mad Zab is more than capable of making that right back spot his. We all know that Richards has the makings of being a decent player, but he seems to be struggling at the minute, he is definitely worth keeping as cover.

I just think this ladywoman whatever his name is has made this up. Yeah we have let in a few silly goals from set pieces, but I put that down to a lack of understanding as opposed to the individuals being shit!! I can only see our current back 4 getting better and better as the season goes on, but that's just my opinion.
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby Fish111 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:34 am

I don't think it's a very good peice at all, he's just expressing his opinion, there's nothing concrete in the whole article at all. We all know Micah isn't up to the job, we all know we are susceptible at set peices and i think he's got it wrong with regard Wayne Bridge. Bridge is up to the task but Garrido isn't a good enough back-up.
Robbie said he would move to Barcelona when he was asked so Ladyman has named two Barca players and suggested a swap & cash deal. Pure guesswork on Ladymans part.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby sweenyuk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:37 am

I still think we need a new goalie. I am just not a fan of Shay. He is not a big game player. This was shown in the Derby and against Arsenal even though we won. The teams that get fustrated by our defence and start pinging in long shots at goal, he will save every time and make the saves look spectacular. The teams clever enough to walk through our defence have no problem scoring against him. Shay can not use his feet at all. If the defence play a back pass he either kicks it out for a throw in or to an opponent, so he is not seen as a route to take pressure off the team. No idea who would replace him, Hart is still not ready for the level we want to play at, so we will need to look elsewhere
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Vhero » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:38 am

He is saying though we need a new RB though something I been saying for a long time with most if not all disagreeing with me on here. People are just too blue tinted to see things sometimes on here. Set pieces are a serious problem though again this year we got rid of that problem last year..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 am

sweenyuk wrote:I still think we need a new goalie. I am just not a fan of Shay. He is not a big game player. This was shown in the Derby and against Arsenal even though we won. The teams that get fustrated by our defence and start pinging in long shots at goal, he will save every time and make the saves look spectacular. The teams clever enough to walk through our defence have no problem scoring against him. Shay can not use his feet at all. If the defence play a back pass he either kicks it out for a throw in or to an opponent, so he is not seen as a route to take pressure off the team. No idea who would replace him, Hart is still not ready for the level we want to play at, so we will need to look elsewhere

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Blue in North London » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 am

It's been clear over the last two years that Ian Ladyman has a 'good relationship' with the club. I certainly wouldn't put it down to guesswork. I think it's clear that Hughes is not convinced by Richards or Zabaleta in the RB position, and I would be very surprised if he doesn't fill that spot by next summer. The text about Bridge may just be a well aimed kick up the booty. He's been very good but he needs to respect the ball more, as well as deliver better balls into the box.
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby Martinez » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 am

Ok, so our defending has looked shaky at times but to claim Hughes would replace both fullback- slots, on the reasons stated in the article, sounds like bollox to me, as do the supposed "targets"
Ok, so we conceded 4 against the scum at the swamp, could happen to any team in the world in my opinion. I doubt we'd find better full backs during the next window tbh. Puyol is Barca through and through and may need some adjusting if he wants to leave at all. Abidal is a good player but if he's 30 and not a regular in Barca's (sometimes dodgy) defense, why would he be good enough for us?

We could use another right-sided, creative midfielder but I personally would rather see Weiss step up and challenge SWP, in the centre I think we are well covered
Last edited by Martinez on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martinez

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby john@staustell » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
sweenyuk wrote:I still think we need a new goalie. I am just not a fan of Shay. He is not a big game player. This was shown in the Derby and against Arsenal even though we won. The teams that get fustrated by our defence and start pinging in long shots at goal, he will save every time and make the saves look spectacular. The teams clever enough to walk through our defence have no problem scoring against him. Shay can not use his feet at all. If the defence play a back pass he either kicks it out for a throw in or to an opponent, so he is not seen as a route to take pressure off the team. No idea who would replace him, Hart is still not ready for the level we want to play at, so we will need to look elsewhere

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!

WUM of the year eh?

As for this story it's obvious to anyone that Richards isn't up to it, and he's been given the chances. If there is substance to this Zabba would be back-up to a new man. Bit surprised about LB. Thought Bridge would be OK for this season, with Sylvy backing up. maybe not.

Midfield playmaker is also obvious really, most of ours are box-to-box energy players.

It's fairly well-documented in Barcelona circles that City made Puyol an offer in the summer and I haven't seen anything about it being taken off the table when we signed Toure and Lescott. It does worry me slightly if either CB got injured, and Puyol ticks a lot of boxes - play anywhere along the defence, great leader, top professional. Him signing in January would not be a surprise.

The big question mark for me over this story is:

Who the hell is going to let their top fullbacks or midfield playmaker move in January????????????????????
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beeks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!

What he said
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 am

That's bad bad form mate. Given has been among top 3 goalies in the world, in time he has spend with us. Apart from maybe Casillas, I can't see anyone who would be improvement on him. Was just watching Juventus game the other week and actually thinking that we got better deal when Buffon rejected us and we went for Shay.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby razor400 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 am

You might want to try this sit. http://www.specsavers.co.uk/book-an-appointment
I hope to god your not driving with your condition.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby ant london » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:54 am

razor400 wrote:

You might want to try this sit. http://www.specsavers.co.uk/book-an-appointment
I hope to god your not driving with your condition.

I hope that Sweeny is sat at work laughing at his deadpan wind-up

If he actually means what he posted then I say get the men in white coats round to him asap before he self-harms...he is clearly not stable ;-)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby blues-clues » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:20 am

Er God himself maybe.

Crazy crazy post mate. Got me chuckling though.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:40 am

Have just read the said article, I honestly believe Richards has now become surplus to requirements, it’s obvious he is not going to regain the form that gave him so much potential, I see him in the Championship in the next couple of years, I also don’t believe Zab is the long term answer, it is a problem position and costs us dearly.

Some are automatically assuming that mention of a left back means replacing Bridge, it could just be defensive cover in that area, he has been outstanding for me this season and been very consistent..

Another creative midfielder is needed as well

All in a good read and not made up tosh ,I fully expect these players in January.

We sort these areas out with class signings we will be awesome.
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Vhero wrote:He is saying though we need a new RB though something I been saying for a long time with most if not all disagreeing with me on here. People are just too blue tinted to see things sometimes on here. Set pieces are a serious problem though again this year we got rid of that problem last year..
Some fans are to sentimental mate, I don’t know if it has anything to do with their age or the fact that it frightens them that we are evolving as a team at a phenomenal pace. I consistently read some posters making reference to a player having a good season a couple of years ago, or the fact they might have potential and it needs to be nurtured.

Micah for instance would have been a starter week in week out in a City team of old because he typifies the City of old, he is inconsistent has the potential to destroy anybody on his day but very rarely performs to his natural ability it is very frustrating but so old City, I expect others to come under more scrutiny even SWP will have to start performing or find himself warming the bench.

Things have changed at City for the better, no longer is just turning up and performing averagely a guarantee of starting spot the following week; Hughes is changing the mentality of the side for the better, a winning mentality.

We are now one of the biggest clubs on the planet, being ruthless is something we are going to need to excel at if we are to be successful, there’s no room for sentiment times have changed for the better in my opinion.

I think some fans are struggling with the speed at which we are evolving
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter

Postby Dameerto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:37 pm

I see the stuff about the LB position as someone to share the workload with Wayne and it's pretty obvious it's needed, just like we need a creative midfielder. The stuff about the RB position is interesting and I wouldnt be surprised if it was from 'a source close to the club'.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Yeah,I read this earlier. I agree on the Richards bit. I just dont think his head is in the game like it should. Look at the rag goal!! where the fook was he!!!! He just doesnt seem to get this positional thing, as the artical says..Iv been really impressed with Zab and would feel confident with him starting as a regular. I said all window that we still needed another left back to chanllange Bridge. A replacment for Elano would also be good..

Looks like we will be active in Jan then..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum