The Ireland Dilemma

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Ireland Dilemma

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:37 am

That picture shows him running from exactly the same position he's often found in now. Barry covers for him when he goes forward so there's absolutely nothing stopping him from making the same runs now but thre's no guarantee he'll get the ball because a) Robinho does that pass better than most in the world & hasn't been playing & b) we have so many other options this season that we didn't have last. There'd be two or three other players sprinting forward now, possibly getting there before him.

The other thing to take into account is; he HAS made that run & received the ball on numerous occasions this season but cocked it up when he's got there, neither shooting or passing accurately. A couple of nice victories with a goal or two for him should sort that out.

My verdict is; let him get on with it. Play him when he's on top form or against oppo that suits his game, rest him when he's not on form or against oppo that suits someone else's talents better, same as with every other player.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Kyle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:47 am

Slim wrote:
Kyle wrote:This may sound crazy, but for one game I am curious to see how SWP would slot in at RB. He seems to track back well, and would be able to swing in a few crosses and put more pressure on. Zabba just seemed to be lacking a bit coming forward, although I have very few complaints with the defensive side of his game.

If Hughes gave SWP a go at right back, slot Tevez on the right and put Ireland in right behind the striker. Just for an experiment I would be curious to see how this line-up worked out.

--------------Given------------
SWP--Toure--Lescott--Bridge
------De Jong--Barry----------
Tevez-----Ireland-----Bellamy
-------------Adebayor----------

If you remember he did start off as a striker and then wingback under Keegan. Certainly has the defensive tenacity for playing back there, but I think he wouldn't have the body strength needed to cope with the players who would be running at him. I know if I was manager of the opposition I would have some monster running the left channel all day and almost completely unchecked.

Yeah I never really figured it as a long term replacement but it seems everyone's most debated position is RB and if he did play there (of course not against a top 10 team) it could give Ireland the chance to play with Tevez, Ade, and Bellamy. I do agree with you though, tenacity is there but size is not...
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby saulman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:26 am

Lee_Kinda wrote:This has made front page of the OS!

Aye, was just gonna post that. Well done CtK. Good stuff.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Jobs for the boys already.

;-)
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:16 pm

I don't think he's that bad that we need to worry about him too much. He has deffo missed young Robson. And he is certainly good enough to play a different role.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum