Cannavaro has failed a drugs test!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Cannavaro has failed a drugs test!

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:35 am

He will obviously get away with it and on the basis of the cover story, it is plausible!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 27,00.html

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro has failed a dope test after taking a medicine that contained the banned substance cortisone.

The 2006 World Player of the Year was allegedly stung by a wasp and took a medicine that contained the banned substance, which is often used to suppress pain.

The veteran defender requested an exemption on the grounds of having taken a medication in the case of an emergency but his request was missing a document and while awaiting a decision he was subjected to an anti-doping test, which returned a positive result.

Sources close to Juventus have claimed he took nothing more than an anti-allergy medicine.

International duty

Cannavaro is currently on international duty preparing for Italy's last two World Cup qualifiers against Ireland in Dublin on Saturday and then at home to Cyprus on Wednesday.

The 36-year-old is suspended for the Ireland match but was expected to return to the team he captained to World Cup glory in 2006 for the Cyprus game.

He is due to be interviewed by the Italian Olympic Committee's (Coni) anti-doping prosecutor Etorre Torri on Friday morning in Turin.

Coni released a statement on its website explaining the circumstances of the positive test without revealing if any action has been taken against the player.

"After an Italian player made a request for an exemption for therapeutic reasons for medicine given in an emergency, CONI's Therapeutic Exemption Committee requested via registered letter that the Emergency Room doctor's certificate be added to the documentation sent," CONI explained on their official website.

"In the meantime, the athlete was subjected to an anti-doping test and the result was positive."

Co-operate
Juventus have responded quickly to the surprise news stating they will co-operate fully with the Italian Olympic Committee's investigation.

"With regards to the news of the launch of an investigation by the Procura Antidoping (CONI) involving player Fabio Cannavaro, the medical division of Juventus state that they acted within the sanitary prescriptions and the deontological rules, intervening in an urgent manner - last August - following the worsening of the clinical condition following the sting by an insect," read a statement on Juve's official website.

"On that occasion a medical remedy which was indispensable in order to prevent eventual complications, even lethal ones, was used.

"The player and the medical staff of Juventus will be at the disposal of the Procura to clarify this issue as soon as possible, as well as eventual documentation."
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Cannavaro has failed a drugs test!

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 am

sounds like he was open about it, but it also sounds like it will be down to hic club doctor to clear his name.
Reminds me of when taggart got a sick note off his club doctor which excused him for speeding up the hard shoulder because he had "gasto entoritis" (the shits).

Bit different fom Plug doing a runner though, so presume he'll get off
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:03 am

Why would cortisone be on banned substane list? How does it improve your performance? Loads of allergic people, me included, use cortisone lotion regularily.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Dameerto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:11 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Why would cortisone be on banned substane list? How does it improve your performance? Loads of allergic people, me included, use cortisone lotion regularily.

As I understand, (from sports point of view) it could be used to gain an endurance advantage
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:36 am

'The 2006 World Player of the Year was allegedly stung by a wasp'. They have to say 'allegedly' in case the wasp takes legal action.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Fish111 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 am

I was stung by a bee once, £50 for a jar of honey!

Please move to jokes section if deemed funny enough.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:40 am

Fish111 wrote:I was stung by a bee once, £50 for a jar of honey!

Please move to jokes section if deemed funny enough.

A 'Groucho Marks' style delivery would work well with that.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 am

Bloke goes into a pet shop and says "I want to buy a wasp".
"We don't sell wasps sir" replies the shopkeeper.
"Well you've got one in the window"

tara
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Fish111 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:44 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:Bloke goes into a pet shop and says "I want to buy a wasp".
"We don't sell wasps sir" replies the shopkeeper.
"Well you've got one in the window"

tara

Tommy Cooper style?
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby ronk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 am

Seems simple enough. Normal response should be no ban, but you never know with zealous officials and the desire to appear to be tough.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 pm

I thought players had Cortisone injections when they were playing with pain? Often with foot and back injuries? I'm sure I remember David Beckham having Cortisone injections on his metatarsal before that world cup?
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Dameerto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Steve wrote:I thought players had Cortisone injections when they were playing with pain? Often with foot and back injuries? I'm sure I remember David Beckham having Cortisone injections on his metatarsal before that world cup?

It's used in treating pain as an injection yes, it's also capable of being misused. I havent really got a medical background so Im sketchy on the details but i know it's something Tour De France competitors are blood tested for (maybe implying it can be taken orally in some form)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Return to The Maine Football forum