Come on you Septics

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Come on you Septics

Postby Scatman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Rag_hater wrote:According to CNN the Yanks are taking 100,000 fans.
More than any other nation so far

are they not called troops?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:58 pm

They are aware it doesn't start till June right?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:40 pm

I personally think we shouldn't be seperated into continental groups to qualify for the world cup.
They should just randomly draw 20ish groups for qualification, and the best ones get in. if you get an easy group its the luck of the draw. I'm easy either way on seeded countries for said groups.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:50 pm

kinkylola wrote:
The first string are almost completely foreign based ... with the exception of donovan I believe. He has the skill (though overrated) to make it in a bigger league, but not the mentality at all. It's disappointing to say the least.

the second string are pretty much all home-league based. That being said, anyone with any ambition/talent wants to get out of the mls as soon as possible ... or atleast should want to in my opinion. I think one reason why freddy adu "flopped" though he's still only 20(?) is that he stayed in the mls so long ... and started so young. He was starting in the MLS when he was 14. Should have been at a big club being developed by top coaches. Thankfully Altidore has left sooner, and has a decent chance of unlearning all the shit he learned in MLS from shit coaches.

edit: most GK's who have a realistic shot of starting are foreign based (Howard, Guzan, etc ...)

Why not bring in top foreign coaches and let your players learn from them, then become better coaches themselves? The J-League, while far from the ideal role model, did similar and the first set of retiring players who played under coaches like Zico, Osim and Stojkovic are beginning to seep in to coaching jobs. It will take them time to rise up the ladder here, what with seniority being such a big thing, but it will be intriguing to see how it pans out.

Are there any up-and-coming younger managers in the American game? What is Claudio Reyna doing these days? With his European experience, he is just the kind of man who should be moving into coaching, I feel. It would be sad if all that experience is lost to the American game in the same way as that wannabe-intellectual knobhead Hidetoshi Nakata is contributing nothing whatsoever to the country or the game that made him a star.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby kinkylola » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
kinkylola wrote:
The first string are almost completely foreign based ... with the exception of donovan I believe. He has the skill (though overrated) to make it in a bigger league, but not the mentality at all. It's disappointing to say the least.

the second string are pretty much all home-league based. That being said, anyone with any ambition/talent wants to get out of the mls as soon as possible ... or atleast should want to in my opinion. I think one reason why freddy adu "flopped" though he's still only 20(?) is that he stayed in the mls so long ... and started so young. He was starting in the MLS when he was 14. Should have been at a big club being developed by top coaches. Thankfully Altidore has left sooner, and has a decent chance of unlearning all the shit he learned in MLS from shit coaches.

edit: most GK's who have a realistic shot of starting are foreign based (Howard, Guzan, etc ...)

Why not bring in top foreign coaches and let your players learn from them, then become better coaches themselves? The J-League, while far from the ideal role model, did similar and the first set of retiring players who played under coaches like Zico, Osim and Stojkovic are beginning to seep in to coaching jobs. It will take them time to rise up the ladder here, what with seniority being such a big thing, but it will be intriguing to see how it pans out.

Are there any up-and-coming younger managers in the American game? What is Claudio Reyna doing these days? With his European experience, he is just the kind of man who should be moving into coaching, I feel. It would be sad if all that experience is lost to the American game in the same way as that wannabe-intellectual knobhead Hidetoshi Nakata is contributing nothing whatsoever to the country or the game that made him a star.

I would love to see that ... i just don't think there is money in the american game at this moment to bring in top anything. I don't know what reyna is doing, but he hasn't been involved with the us game at any level as far as I can tell.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:41 am

kinkylola wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
kinkylola wrote:

I would love to see that ... i just don't think there is money in the american game at this moment to bring in top anything. I don't know what reyna is doing, but he hasn't been involved with the us game at any level as far as I can tell.

regardless of the coaching until someone convinces inner city kids of any ethnicity to start playing futsal or football at some level then the game in the US will always be third or fourth rate due to lack of talent. And, no, Beckham can't make anything like that happen by any stretch of the imagination. It would take a massive injection of African, Black, Hispanic and South American stars to come into America and setup camps, clinics and organizations in some major US cities to move the needle on the game here.

you have to have the talent that can be world-class to allow the coaching to really make a difference.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Michigan Blue » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:26 am

DoomMerchant wrote:regardless of the coaching until someone convinces inner city kids of any ethnicity to start playing futsal or football at some level then the game in the US will always be third or fourth rate due to lack of talent. And, no, Beckham can't make anything like that happen by any stretch of the imagination. It would take a massive injection of African, Black, Hispanic and South American stars to come into America and setup camps, clinics and organizations in some major US cities to move the needle on the game here.

Good point. Whereas around the world football is predominantly seen as a game of the poor and working class, over here it is considered a game played by upper-middle class white kids. That's changing, but there is a long way to go.

At some point we also need to produce our own world star to establish the possibility of stardom for young athletes here. Right now basketball and American football are the obvious routes to quick athletic success. Baseball, and the years of toiling in the minor leagues, has fallen out of favor with the urban poor. I imagine football (the kind played with your feet) is still not even on the radar in most inner cities.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby razor400 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:22 am

Scatman wrote:

I didn't think that many Americans had Passports.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:18 am

razor400 wrote:
Scatman wrote:

I didn't think that many Americans had Passports.

we don't. it's probably loads of foreigners.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby ronk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:45 pm

PMSL
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

City potters about with a crap federation

Postby Michigan Blue » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:07 am

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Features/Ce ... visit-MCFC

Good kids. Good continent.

Nice little gesture by the club.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum