How many more games can we afford to lose

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How many more games can we afford to lose

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:54 am

If we are to finish in the top 4 or 5 it can only be another 5 at most in my opinion
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Re: How many more games can we afford to lose

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:16 am

I think it is a couple more than that - this year is clearly tougher all round - I am thinking how many games can we afford to lose if we are to win the PL
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:41 am

As Liverpool showed us last season, it's not just about not losing games but dropping points in general. We can lose nine games easily if we only draw two. That's the way it has been eversince the introduction of 3 points for win. In past five seasons the points needed for 4th spot has been between 67 and 76 points, the trend being that the gap between 4th and rest is evergrowing. 03/04 Liverpool finished 4th with only 60 points but those days are behind us.

I'd say around 70 points will be needed for 4th spot. 114 points are there to be taken before the season kicks off. So we could afford to drop roughly 44 points. That would be about 8 losses and 10 draws. Meaning we'd have to win about 20 games. Give or take.

Last season Arsenal finished 4th with 72 points. Their record was 20W 12D 6L. To put that in perspective of how times have changed, rags won the title 06/07 season with 75 points, 21W 12D 5L.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:41 am

mcfc1632 wrote:I think it is a couple more than that - this year is clearly tougher all round - I am thinking how many games can we afford to lose if we are to win the PL

I reckon you could win the league with 5 defeats this year. Can easily see teams like us, Villa, Spuds, and maybe even Sunderland beating any of the sky 4, and of course the odd unexpected defeat will rear its head.

United have already dragged 4 points from nowhere against us and Sunderland, and I think that will ultimately be the difference come may which will see Chelsea and United way out in front.

I reckon you could maybe get away with 6/7 defeats to get in the top 4 this year as there will be a lot of teams fancy their chances at home against the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal. The key will be winning most of our home games
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 am

It'd depend on how many we win and draw, really.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Somerset Blue » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:09 am

Let's just play it safe and win all the rest.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blueboylewis » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 am

It depends doesnt it. If we lose but then one of the main contenders for the title slip up then we live to fight another day. Noone will know how many games we can lose but lets just be positive and think we can win every other game this season.
Blueboylewis

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Somerset Blue » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:35 am

Blueboylewis wrote:...lets just be positive and think we can win every other game this season.

I'd be gutted if we only won half of our remaining games.

JOKE, Lewis (BBL), I knew what you meant and agree with you.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blueboylewis » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:49 am

Somerset Blue wrote:
Blueboylewis wrote:...lets just be positive and think we can win every other game this season.

Haha finally someone agrees with me!
Blueboylewis

Postby Dameerto » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Depends how many the so called 'big four' keep losing. Everything is relative. Let's lose less than Liverpool.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Blueboylewis wrote:
Somerset Blue wrote:

I agreed with you earlier, you posted "my mistake" and I agree that you were a mistake.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby lythamblue » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:38 pm

It's not about how many game you lose ...... it's all about points.

2 point per game will be more than adequate to get us a top 4 slot and that's what we should be aiming for.

So far we are ahead of that schedule and there is no reason why we can't continue to be so until the end of the season.

The next 4 games are a great opportunity to put some points in the 'two points per game bank'.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blueboylewis » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Slim wrote:
Blueboylewis wrote:
Somerset Blue wrote:

I agreed with you earlier, you posted "my mistake" and I agree that you were a mistake.

Hey, I got one thing wrong and you corrected me. Then zoo me bitch!!
Blueboylewis

Postby Vhero » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:06 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:As Liverpool showed us last season, it's not just about not losing games but dropping points in general. We can lose nine games easily if we only draw two. That's the way it has been eversince the introduction of 3 points for win. In past five seasons the points needed for 4th spot has been between 67 and 76 points, the trend being that the gap between 4th and rest is evergrowing. 03/04 Liverpool finished 4th with only 60 points but those days are behind us.

I'd say around 70 points will be needed for 4th spot. 114 points are there to be taken before the season kicks off. So we could afford to drop roughly 44 points. That would be about 8 losses and 10 draws. Meaning we'd have to win about 20 games. Give or take.

Last season Arsenal finished 4th with 72 points. Their record was 20W 12D 6L. To put that in perspective of how times have changed, rags won the title 06/07 season with 75 points, 21W 12D 5L.

Indeed drawing 3 is the equivalent of losing 2 The scouse found this out the hard way.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:25 am

How many more games?
we've only lost one, its hardly panic stations is it?
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby TrueBlue82 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 am

agree with the comments above re how the other teams do and how many they lose/draw. with the squad we have theres not many games we should lose but as we know on paper games look easy. like the next four games, these are the kind we should win but could be games where we come unstuck.

only time will tell.

if we win at home and pick up points away can see us finishing pretty high up, indeed in the top 4.
[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image[/center]
TrueBlue82
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Slim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:36 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:How many more games?

The only thing I am concerned about so far is none of the top 4 have their midfields overrun the way ours was for part of the arsenal game and during most of the derby.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:44 am

Slim wrote:

The only thing I am concerned about so far is none of the top 4 have their midfields overrun the way ours was for part of the arsenal game and during most of the derby.

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not saying we're untouchable and are gonna sail into the top 4, in fact I don't think we will finish top 4 this season, definately next though.
My post was in response to the way the question was asked. "How many more games can we afford to lose" sounds as if they are worrying as we have lost a few games already and one or two more could fuck our season up or something. We've only lost one so far, which equals top of the league's record. Its a negative question, no need.
And I think with Johnno and Vinnie coming back, the midfielders are gonna up their game as there is a fair bit of quality competetion for them starting spots, so we'll be fine.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Slim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:
Slim wrote:

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not saying we're untouchable and are gonna sail into the top 4, in fact I don't think we will finish top 4 this season, definately next though.
My post was in response to the way the question was asked. "How many more games can we afford to lose" sounds as if they are worrying as we have lost a few games already and one or two more could fuck our season up or something. We've only lost one so far, which equals top of the league's record. Its a negative question, no need.
And I think with Johnno and Vinnie coming back, the midfielders are gonna up their game as there is a fair bit of quality competetion for them starting spots, so we'll be fine.

I think if we can get that sorted, we WILL finish top 4 this season. I am far from convinced on Liverpool and Arsenal might roll lesser sides like a fat chick on a water slide, but they have crumbled twice when up against quality this season and I can see them losing too many points to the top 8.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby MrManCity » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I reckon about 5 if we want to win this year
MrManCity
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Superman

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum