Monday's gossip B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Monday's gossip B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:44 am

Trautmann commemorative friendly announced

Last Wednesday, the 7th of October, marked the 60th anniversary of the signing of one of the biggest icons in City's history, Bert Trautmann. One of only 90 of his 1000-strong regiment to survive World War II, the German would refuse repatriation on his release from a prisoner-of-war camp near Wigan, and settle in Lancashire, playing for local side St Helens Town aswell as working on a nearby farm.

Performances for the Merseyside club during the 1948/49 season would impress visiting scouts, and the following October City would offer him a contract. Despite initial scepticism from supporters Bert would go on to make over 500 appearances over a fifteen-year period, becoming one of the club's all-time greats.

To mark the anniversary of the transfer of a man considered a legend of both clubs, City will field a Legends XI against the North West Counties Football League side, on Sunday November 15th, kick-off 1pm, at the Athletics Stadium (or Mini-CoMS). Proceeds will be shared between Bert's foundation, St Helens Town, and a nominated charity of the Legends Team's choice.

Us not having a game that weekend could prove a good chance for a strong turnout, to pay respect to one of our greatest ever players, and raise a few bob for the good causes. The cost to season ticket holders, pensioners and kids, will be an alarmingly good value £2, £4 for other seniors. A special programme will also be available including a foreword by the big man himself.

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is once again preparing to raid former club Portsmouth to sign England keeper David James for £1m in January. Since taking over at Spurs, Redknapp has signed Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch and Niko Kranjcar from Pompey. The Sun

European champions Barcelona are closing in on a January swoop for Manchester City forward Robinho, with sporting director Txiki Begiristain saying that the Brazilian is "a very interesting footballer and could play for us in the Champions League".Daily Mirror

Former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell - who left Notts County in September after only one game - wants a short-term loan move to a Championship club to earn a Premier League return in January. Daily Mirror

WAG OF THE DAY
http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... ca-fontana

OTHER BOLLOX
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is unlikely to escape a touchline ban, despite apologising to referee Alan Wiley for questioning the official's fitness. Daily Mirror

Striker Emile Heskey concedes he may have to leave Aston Villa - for whom he has started only one Premier League game this season - in January to keep alive his hopes of a place in England boss Fabio Capello's squad for the 2010 World Cup finals.The Sun

Former Leeds boss Dennis Wise, who until earlier this year was executive director of football at Newcastle, and ex-Chelsea striker Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink are set to make dramatic returns to football - with non-League Chalfont St Peter and Woking respectively.The Sun

AND FINALLY
Argentina coach Diego Maradona celebrated his side's last-minute winner against Peru in the crucial World Cup qualifier in Buenos Aires with a jubilant belly slide. Martin Palermo's goal, which secured a 2-1 win over Peru, lifted Argentina to fourth place, with a game to go in the South American group, from which the top four qualify. Daily Star

Fewer than half a million people watched England's World Cup qualifying defeat in Ukraine on Saturday. The match was the first featuring the national side to be shown exclusively live on the internet. (Daily Mirror)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Monday's gossip B*ll*x

Postby Slim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:13 am

I don't want to burst the bubble of the bollox thread, but we had the England match on ESPN.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Chinners » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:23 am

Thats was the thing thou Slim, Sultana had the rights in the UK and when they went bust no other provider wanted to pay the fee being asked, even ESPN. I'm a believer in that ALL England matches should be on terrestrial tv but money has put paid to that romantic notion. As it looks like I only missed the joyous Rio feck-up I can't say than I'm that disappointed in hindsight
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 am

what happened to the "Gossip Column" have you re-re-branded?

I can't keep up on your boll*x
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Chinners » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:36 am

Nah, thats bollox ... the bollox always evolves (ie. its made up as we go along)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ronk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 am

Nice WAG.

The silver lining of the England game farce is that it's very unlikely to be repeated.

We've seen what pay per view does to viewers' numbers in the most popular sport.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Slim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Chinners wrote:Thats was the thing thou Slim, Sultana had the rights in the UK and when they went bust no other provider wanted to pay the fee being asked, even ESPN. I'm a believer in that ALL England matches should be on terrestrial tv but money has put paid to that romantic notion. As it looks like I only missed the joyous Rio feck-up I can't say than I'm that disappointed in hindsight

Dunno what to tell ya mate, someone picked up the tab. I think the UK may well have gotten the hose job on this one cause if we got it via ESPN is means it had to come off the american network somewhere so they probably did too.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Slim wrote:I don't want to burst the bubble of the bollox thread, but we had the England match on ESPN.

You didnt watch it in England on ESPN though, that's the point.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Slim wrote:I don't want to burst the bubble of the bollox thread, but we had the England match on ESPN.

Fewer than half a million people watched England's World Cup qualifying defeat in Ukraine on Saturday. The match was the first featuring the national side to be shown exclusively live on the internet. (Daily Mirror)

The point is the word "exclusively".
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Slim wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

The point is the word "exclusively".

Within context.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Crossie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Why havent we reported Barca for their fucking public appeal for Robinho to sign for them, surely we can nobble them for something?
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Vhero » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Crossie wrote:Why havent we reported Barca for their fucking public appeal for Robinho to sign for them, surely we can nobble them for something?

Ah but we are supposed to be building "relations" with them and they know this and that's why they are doing this as they know fine well they can get away with it.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum