Training Monday 12/10

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Monday 12/10

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Back again and the first teamers working with the reserves. That's all 6 Garrido/Silvinho/Richards/Ireland/Johnson and Vinnie. Zabba ia back now but having a scan today. Toure is expected to be fit for weekend as are Lescott and Barry. Adebayor isn't playing another match this week so should be back either tomorrow or Wednesday. Bellers got a bit of a dead leg on Saturday but expects to be fit as well.

After initial warm ups they split into 3 teams and worked hard on pass and move in roughly half a pitch. A lot of pressing the ball work included in this to see how the others could create space and shift the ball away from conjested areas. Then they changed into attacking breaks with an intended finish at the end.Some good some not so good but as ever Eddie was shouting at them to be inventive and to always be aware of the importance not just of passing quick and sharp but also of the sort of movement needed when defenders are keeping very tight and also looking to play offside. Very interesting to watch.

One or two really good goals in this part and none better than a header from RSC.Also worth a mention were goals from David Ball ( good first touch then an overhead flick) and general finishing from Nimely. Only training I know but it does look as though the sharpness and quality is coming slowly but surely for RSC.Then it was into real 7 a side games with just 2 touches allowed. Special mention to Micah who I thought trained well today but overall it was good and competitive as ever.

Some afters for a few of the usual suspects. Micah, Garrido and Silvinho working the flanks to get crosses in for RSC, Vinnie and Stevie.Another special mention here for Gunner Nielsen who pulled off some great saves today. Given they are having shots and headers fired in all the time some are inevitable but today he just seemed to be so tough to beat.

Hughes away at a board meeting in Abu Dhabi apparently and Kevin Hitchcock also missing today along with 1 or 2 of the regular fitness guys so the international breaks do have a value.

Benjani still working in one to ones
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Monday 12/10

Postby pepsi_dave » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Good work Doug as always.... cheers!
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby BmoreBlue » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Cheers as always Doug
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby dazby » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:After initial warm ups they split into 3 teams and worked hard on pass and move in roughly half a pitch. A lot of pressing the ball work included in this to see how the others could create space and shift the ball away from conjested areas. Then they changed into attacking breaks with an intended finish at the end.Some good some not so good but as ever Eddie was shouting at them to be inventive and to always be aware of the importance not just of passing quick and sharp but also of the sort of movement needed when defenders are keeping very tight and also looking to play offside. Very interesting to watch.

Sounds like an excellent drill that should be done more often.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby sky_blue_stew » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 pm

Nice one Doug, I've now been on this forum for long enough to appreciate how regularly you post these updates. Great stuff! Bet most clubs don't have fans scouting as diligently as this :)
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Scatman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Has there been much in the way of learning how to defend set pieces?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby blootoof » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Scatman wrote:Has there been much in the way of learning how to defend set pieces?

Was just gonna post the same. We are finally scoring from set pieces only to start defending shyte against them. It seems that when we get one thing right, we start fuckin up on something else.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:41 pm

blootoof wrote:
Scatman wrote:Has there been much in the way of learning how to defend set pieces?

Was just gonna post the same. We are finally scoring from set pieces only to start defending shyte against them. It seems that when we get one thing right, we start fuckin up on something else.

We were poor in defending set pieces last year as well.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Hughes having a board meeting. Interesting, is it too early in the season to start looking at what players will become available in January? Maybe they'll do that next month when the team goes over.

Wonder if the board meeting went anything like this...

[youtube]6M6dzxcNsNc[/youtube]
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Slim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:33 pm

That was so mental, love craig bellamy's charge with the driver.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
blootoof wrote:

No doubt we are not the best at defending set pieces and part of the reason is that we have quite a small team compared to many. Lescott and Adebayor for certain but then it's Toure who is decent but not commanding , Bridge who just isnt a great header of the ball , Zabba who competes and is brave but is also quite small. If Kompany,Richards and RSC play we have plenty but without them we are short.Also without wanting to be too critical of Shay he doesnt tend to go out catching many crosses does he?

Hence the problem at Villa who had say 4 real headers of the ball and our best 3 headers were given man to man jobs and our 4th best was Barry who got Dunne to mark and the rest is history. And that's the Dunne who virtually couldnt get a header on target for us for so many years.You don't really need to be a great header of the ball to stop Dunne. You just need to be a bit physical and it enough but Barry didn't seem to compete.

Today no great work was done on defending set pieces as so few were there from the first team squad but the carrot today today to not let a goal in was it would have meant a lap for the defending team. Sometimes we hear it shouted that a goal from a corner counts as 2. Little things maybe for a bit of fun but a goal has never been scored when it's been said!

2 guys did make mistakes today which cost goals and they had to do a sprint to the othet goal and back.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blueboylewis » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Great report Doug,

I am looking forward to going again! Have they mentioned anything about when there favourite ball boy is coming back lol.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Blueboylewis wrote:Great report Doug,

I am looking forward to going again! Have they mentioned anything about when there favourite ball boy is coming back lol.

Strangely they haven't!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blueboylewis » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:40 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Blueboylewis wrote:Great report Doug,

Strangely they haven't!

Well thats odd lol, Oh well. Hughes and co are getting on. They must have short memory loss.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby marvin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Are you sure that Adebayor is not playing on Weds?

Togo have their final World Cup qualifier which is important because they may get knocked out of African nations Cup so I would have thought that they would want him available. is he suspended?

Got subbed at the weekend and I assumed they were trying to keep him fresh for midweek
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
blootoof wrote:

Hence the problem at Villa who had say 4 real headers of the ball and our best 3 headers were given man to man jobs and our 4th best was Barry who got Dunne to mark and the rest is history.

It was Barry who was marking Fletcher too of course. He's obviously not as good at defending headers as he is attacking them. I think there's a limit to how much aerial improvement is possible with the current 1st 11. Of course practice will help but sheer size & aerial ability is lacking in most of that team. If we want a team full of skillful dwarves we'll just have to make the best of it & try to score more at the other end. Otherwise we play Micah,Vinny, RSC in the team. I think we'll find we have to play one of them at least.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:07 pm

marvin wrote:Are you sure that Adebayor is not playing on Weds?

Togo have their final World Cup qualifier which is important because they may get knocked out of African nations Cup so I would have thought that they would want him available. is he suspended?

Got subbed at the weekend and I assumed they were trying to keep him fresh for midweek

Hmm sounds iffy doesn't it if Togo are playing but that's what I was told or at least I thought it was.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Somerset Blue » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Hmm sounds iffy doesn't it if Togo are playing but that's what I was told or at least I thought it was.

Doug, maybe they're using you for misinformation...?!
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Interesting to hear Hughes is in Abu Dhabi, nice one Doug.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Somerset Blue wrote:

Doug, maybe they're using you for misinformation...?!

Or maybe I am just a senile deaf tosser.

Maybe Hughes was at Notts County for an interview?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum