Remember this.....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Remember this.....

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:02 pm

I was studying for my ACA exams at the time and listened with my bloody heart in my mouth on the radio for much of this match....

nice little article actually

It is difficult to guess what the new wealthy owners of Manchester City were doing on May 15,1999, but you can be assured Sheikh Mansour was not among the 6,762 fans squashed into Springfield Park for a League One play-off semi-final.

There will be rather more watching when the two teams face each other at Wigan on Sunday, yet their encounter a decade ago illustrates just how far both clubs have come.

It an era when Shaun Goater was the nearest you came to a superstar at City, while, in their fourth season in the Premier League, Wigan were just beginning their impressive climb through the divisions based on Dave Whelan's enthusiasm and hard cash.

Some of the fans who watched recently as the Latics overcame Chelsea 3-1 at the DW Stadium - formerly the JJB - will have congregated on mounds of mud behind the goals to watch Wigan draw 1-1 with City that day 10 years ago.

As usual, a glance at the team-sheets says as much about the changing shape of the two clubs. In goal for Wigan was Roy Carroll, who was to move to Manchester United two years later.

But other than the Northern Irish goalkeeper, Wigan's big names were Andy Liddell and Stuart Barlow, whose best years were already behind them.

Liddell experienced the Premier League dream with Barnsley and after six years helping establish Wigan as a footballing powerhouse rather than just a rugby league town, he left in the summer that followed their promotion but, at 36, is still playing at Rotherham.

But even given the remarkable Wigan story, and despite City's history, they are the team that have experienced the real transformation.

After the years that had really underlined the 'Typical City' tag, the Blues had finally dropped all the way down to the third tier.

They embarked on a campaign that sparked the self-mocking terrace anthem 'We're not really here' as they toured what they considered the backwaters of the English game.

But for all their superiority, how carried away can you really get when you end up finishing five points adrift of Walsall?

Under Joe Royle - and despite failing to catch the high-flying Saddlers or champions Fulham - City turned themselves around but had to settle for the play-offs to start the path back to where they kept telling everyone they belonged.

It may have been miserable on the field but this was a part of City's history that is vital to their current identity. Would Goater be considered the legend he is if City had spent all those years scrapping away in mid-table in the top flight? Unlikely.

After years of setbacks and embarrassment, City fans must have feared the worst when Barlow scored in the first minute for the upstart Latics.

But Paul Dickov earned City a 1-1 draw with an equaliser 15 minutes from time to take an advantage back to Maine Road.

It was the final game ever staged at Springfield Park, but Wigan were not to celebrate their move to the JJB Stadium with Championship football because Goater claimed the only goal of the second leg to take City through to Wembley, where they managed to beat the mighty Gillingham on penalties.

A promotion, a relegation and a promotion later, they were back in the top flight in 2002 and joined by Paul Jewell's Liddell-less Latics two years later.

City became the richest club in the world when the Abu Dhabi United Group took over on September 1, 2008.

But would Robinho have ever become a Manchester City player if men such as Royle, Goater, Dickov and Kevin Horlock had not arrested the slide down the divisions a decade ago?

For the record, the teams involved in the first play-off at Wigan were:

Wigan: Carroll;, Bradshaw (Green), Sharp, McGibbon, Balmer, Porter, Liddell (Lee), Greenall, Haworth (Jones), O'Neill, Barlow.
Manchester City: Weaver, Crooks, Edghill, Vaughan, Horlock, Wiekens, Brown, Whitley, Dickov, Goater (Taylor), Cooke (Allsop).
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Remember this.....

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:20 pm

I love the team of 99.

Really love them, all legends.

Apart from Michael Brown.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I remember sitting in the Kippax to watch that game and the feeling of dread when Wiekens made that back pass.

And if the referee had spotted Goater's handball, it could all have been so different. I honestly believe we'd still be down there if we hadn't come back that season. Plenty of big clubs have got stuck for years at that level, from the likes of Sheff Wed and Leeds now, to Wolves previously and the likes of Blackpool if you go back further. Doesn't seem to matter how many turn up to watch, you just end up among the dead men with no way out.

Despite how painful it was at the time and how badly it could have turned out, it's remembering years like that which will be important as we move forward.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm

I was sat in the Kippax to watching the "big screen" - well it was quite big, it was set up on the other side of the ground though so was way too far away to see it clearly. Typical City support chanting to the empty North Stand, "you're not singing anymore" when we equalised.

That day was surreal, then a week later the return game and I've never experienced a Maine Road atmosphere as good as that. Every single person in the ground was screaming and singing and waving flags to encourage the team much more than we seemed to do at Wembley. I imagine that is how a cup final feels like, cannot comment as I haven't seen us in one....... yet.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby bernabias_right_boot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 pm

we've come a long way since then.
That play-off final is still one of my favourite matches of all time. it had everything.
I'd tried to get a ticket for the game, but it was sold out. Some thief in a London ticket bureau wanted £100 for a ticket in the Gillinghamend. Ended up in the pub watching it and lost faith at 0-2. got to the car just as the first one went in and listened to the rest of the match on the radio!
All legends.
bernabias_right_boot
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Carlito

Return to The Maine Football forum