What,s the point

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What,s the point

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:37 pm

...of City having a youth team and a reserve team, as when it comes to replacing players from the first team when sold we buy from other teams, on this website there are two examples it is quoted that Robinho could be leaving in January or at the end of the season to Barca, if that is the case then we will be chasing Frank Ribery also Mica is not happy and he too may be leaving, then it is reported that we could be after Philip Lham. So could anybody tell me why we are spending money on doing up Carrington for our youth team and reserves when we are not using those players to bring through to the first team, it would seem money is being wasted. In the past players like Young, Doyle, Oakes and Pardoe came through to the first team, now the present players such as Weiss, Trippier, Ball and Mack will not get a chance for regular first team under the present incumbent. So I ask again what is the point of having a youth and reserve team.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Re: What,s the point

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 pm

RIG if they are good enough they will make the first team.

The cream always rises to the top. (or summat like that)
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Somerset Blue » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Reserve fixtures are useful for players coming back from injury.

You could also look at the Academy set-up as being a useful revenue-making asset, if the players do move on rather than stepping up to the senior side..although the importance of that aspect must have diminished somewhat recently.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby One cap Whitey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:00 pm

There are plenty of players in the team/squad that have come through the academy.

I'm sure its part of the on going strategy to have an element of home grown players in the team, so there will be a chance for everyone if they're good enough.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 pm

I guess it's because all world class players started as youngsters at some point?

We've probably brought more kids through to our first team than most recently, although that had more to do with us being skint than them being top drawer. Going forward, I'd expect to see fewer home grown players, but any that do make it will be great players
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:...of City having a youth team and a reserve team, as when it comes to replacing players from the first team when sold we buy from other teams, on this website there are two examples it is quoted that Robinho could be leaving in January or at the end of the season to Barca, if that is the case then we will be chasing Frank Ribery also Mica is not happy and he too may be leaving, then it is reported that we could be after Philip Lham. So could anybody tell me why we are spending money on doing up Carrington for our youth team and reserves when we are not using those players to bring through to the first team, it would seem money is being wasted. In the past players like Young, Doyle, Oakes and Pardoe came through to the first team, now the present players such as Weiss, Trippier, Ball and Mack will not get a chance for regular first team under the present incumbent. So I ask again what is the point of having a youth and reserve team.

I like what you say most of the time and for me it was one of my best moments ever as a city fan when we won the F.A youth cup a couple of years ago.
And I always thought that the only way that we are ever gonna have a team that can win anything was through the academy.
But since we won the lottery I couldnt give a fuck if we never have a home grown player again.
As long as we can buy the best I dont give a monkey's where they come from.
Rag_hater

Postby Dameerto » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 pm

The most recent England U21 squad (that played a tournament in Egypt very recently) had SIX City players in it's squad - the most that any other Premier team could manage was two (including all the big names and Villa) - there's a reason why Sky werent falling over themselves to do a piece about us as saviours of the English game, that's because it doesnt fit with our new money reputation that they want to shove down your throat.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby razor400 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:...of City having a youth team and a reserve team, as when it comes to replacing players from the first team when sold we buy from other teams, on this website there are two examples it is quoted that Robinho could be leaving in January or at the end of the season to Barca, if that is the case then we will be chasing Frank Ribery also Mica is not happy and he too may be leaving, then it is reported that we could be after Philip Lham. So could anybody tell me why we are spending money on doing up Carrington for our youth team and reserves when we are not using those players to bring through to the first team, it would seem money is being wasted. In the past players like Young, Doyle, Oakes and Pardoe came through to the first team, now the present players such as Weiss, Trippier, Ball and Mack will not get a chance for regular first team under the present incumbent. So I ask again what is the point of having a youth and reserve team.

I like what you say most of the time and for me it was one of my best moments ever as a city fan when we won the F.A youth cup a couple of years ago.
And I always thought that the only way that we are ever gonna have a team that can win anything was through the academy.
But since we won the lottery I couldnt give a fuck if we never have a home grown player again.

^^^^^^^^Our very own chuckle brothers^^^^^^^
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby ronk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:30 pm

Rag_hater wrote:

And yet the richest and best teams in the world have home grown players. Look at Barcelona's best players, they passed through their academy: Messi, Iniesta, Xavi.

Will the scum ever replace that generation of academy kids?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:32 pm

razor400 wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:

Well that answers the question sorry if we are keeping you up
Robinho_Is_GOD
De Jong's Tackle

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:37 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:
razor400 wrote:

Well that answers the question sorry if we are keeping you up

It doesn't 'answer the question' but it's certainly a valid point. Why do you only respond to the singular jest? There are plenty of other posts here giving you well thought out explanations on your query. Yet you choose to take the bait and start arguing.

Try growing a pair.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:38 pm

Rag_hater wrote:

Money gone to your head you must be a new City supporter us older ones remember players coming through
Robinho_Is_GOD
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:58 pm

If you had paid any attention to the statement issued by the club a few weeks ago, you would fully understand the answer to your post.
It was quite clearly stated that City had brought forward their expected player investments for the next few windows in order to achieve their aims much more quickly.
It added that future 1st team building would only to be fine tuning.
From this point, City are to concentrate more of their efforts on the youth system, in order to effectively bring through top talent for the 1st team through City's own system.
The club's aim, not mine.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:02 pm

john68 wrote:If you had paid any attention to the statement issued by the club a few weeks ago, you would fully understand the answer to your post.
It was quite clearly stated that City had brought forward their expected player investments for the next few windows in order to achieve their aims much more quickly.
From this point, City are to concentrate more of their efforts on the youth system, in order to effectively bring through top talent for the 1st team through City's own system.

And you believe it
Robinho_Is_GOD
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Twobob » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:10 pm

LAHAD answered it in two sentances ...

but Im going to use a few more - but one question first - would we get the instant success that a lot of people want now if we didn't purchase or even try to purchase the best 'matured' players?

As its allready been muted on here in some thread a while ago - the owner seems to envision spending money of the best possible players to cement a top four possition, when that is regulary acheived the club will start to run it's self drawing from the talent that is currently building up in the academy.

Unfortunatly though, with youth, raw talent isn't all that's required to become a top footballer - comitment to improvment, the intense need to win, the fight and the mental strenth to pull you through bad patches and grounding to keep your feet on the ground are all persoanlity makeups of most of the top top stars that make it big and keep there for a long time and when some promising young starlet comes through and looks great for one season but they dont have all of the above then they (too often) fall by the way-side.

We've been very lucky to have had these uncut diamonds coming through the ranks and playing in the first team from the academy before Thaksin etc - the quality of the talent that came through was good enough to keep us in the Prem when we were short of a bob or two, but so many seemed to think they'd made it and let the limelight get to them - perhaps not train as hard as they did or start living it up...

As LAHAD said:
The cream always rises to the top.

It isn't just skill and talent alone .... Take Lee Croft & Willo Flood to name a couple - all came through arround the same time (well perhaps a little before) Ireland and SWP. They seemed to have what it takes but now one plays in a pub league and one for Derby, they rose to the top but couldnt keep there!

Ronnie O'Sullivan said that the hardest thing about being at the top of what you do is staying there - Mentally you can't be arsed training and you stop seeing the point in doing 7 hours of training and might do a couple half hartedly - the real 'Cream' realise this and still push themselves through it - Stevie and SWP being shining examples!

So basically it takes a long time to get the players coming through the acedamy, and getting 11 of them to become the best players at the same time would be a master stroke by anyone!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:
john68 wrote:If you had paid any attention to the statement issued by the club a few weeks ago, you would fully understand the answer to your post.

And you believe it

I don't. I recon they've Appointed Brian Kidd, Scott Sellars etc to the Academy sent those two blokes to Brazil to look at young players & talk to clubs there & sent Jim Cassell to set up academies in Abu Dhabi & other parts of the world purely because they don't like them & thought it would be good fun to take the piss out of them.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby edge275 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:

And you believe it

I don't. I recon they've Appointed Brian Kidd, Scott Sellars etc to the Academy sent those two blokes to Brazil to look at young players & talk to clubs there & sent Jim Cassell to set up academies in Abu Dhabi & other parts of the world purely because they don't like them & thought it would be good fun to take the piss out of them.

I agree
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Twobob wrote:LAHAD answered it in two sentances ...

but Im going to use a few more - but one question first - would we get the instant success that a lot of people want now if we didn't purchase or even try to purchase the best 'matured' players?

As its allready been muted on here in some thread a while ago - the owner seems to envision spending money of the best possible players to cement a top four possition, when that is regulary acheived the club will start to run it's self drawing from the talent that is currently building up in the academy.

Unfortunatly though, with youth, raw talent isn't all that's required to become a top footballer - comitment to improvment, the intense need to win, the fight and the mental strenth to pull you through bad patches and grounding to keep your feet on the ground are all persoanlity makeups of most of the top top stars that make it big and keep there for a long time and when some promising young starlet comes through and looks great for one season but they dont have all of the above then they (too often) fall by the way-side.

We've been very lucky to have had these uncut diamonds coming through the ranks and playing in the first team from the academy before Thaksin etc - the quality of the talent that came through was good enough to keep us in the Prem when we were short of a bob or two, but so many seemed to think they'd made it and let the limelight get to them - perhaps not train as hard as they did or start living it up...

As LAHAD said:
The cream always rises to the top.

It isn't just skill and talent alone .... Take Lee Croft & Willo Flood to name a couple - all came through arround the same time (well perhaps a little before) Ireland and SWP. They seemed to have what it takes but now one plays in a pub league and one for Derby, they rose to the top but couldnt keep there!

Ronnie O'Sullivan said that the hardest thing about being at the top of what you do is staying there - Mentally you can't be arsed training and you stop seeing the point in doing 7 hours of training and might do a couple half hartedly - the real 'Cream' realise this and still push themselves through it - Stevie and SWP being shining examples!

So basically it takes a long time to get the players coming through the acedamy, and getting 11 of them to become the best players at the same time would be a master stroke by anyone!

Now thats well put but we must have some good young players. Give them a good run in the first team before they all get fed up and move on but well said
Last edited by Robinho_Is_GOD on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robinho_Is_GOD
De Jong's Tackle

Postby MOONIN » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 pm

Who gives afook if all the so called youth get a chance and we get relegated press the foookin buzzer shit post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOONIN
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: mancity
My favourite player is: pele

Postby MOONIN » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Also a rooney monster doesnt come along evrey foookin week
Fact
MOONIN
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: mancity
My favourite player is: pele