Blatantly Tapping Up Players

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Blatantly Tapping Up Players

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:01 pm

""""Football FanCast guest columnist Paul Duffy is fed up with the way the likes of Barcelona can get away with the blatant tapping up of players.

One of the perks of being the most successful team around at the moment is that is that you have license to ride roughshod over everyone, make your own rules with the full knowledge that both FIFA and UEFA will happily turn a blind eye to it. The likes of Real Madrid have been getting away with it for years and now it appears to be the turn of Barcelona.

What grates me is the sheer hypocrisy of the aforementioned organisations who always tell supporters that it is their intention to clean the game up in any way possible. It is almost laughable and why they are attempting to take positive steps in eradicating the poaching and tapping up of younger players, they seem oblivious to what clubs are doing to unsettle the older ones. Maybe I am missing something here, but what is the actual difference?

Barcelona is back to their mischievous ways and now they are currently the best team in Europe, they feel they have the divine right to throw their weight around and express their interest in players via the world media. You can't blame a Mr Begiristain for his actions as at the end of the day they have free rein to do so, as the authorities don't see it as too much of a problem and they'll do their level best to turn the heads of contracted players, who are key to their respective clubs, so they can maintain their dynasty as the best team in Europe. Unfortunately it does have the desired affect and my team Liverpool are suffering as a result of Barca's interest in Javier Mascherano, who has completely had his head turned and is a shadow of the player he is; it makes you wonder whether it will do the same to likes of Cesc Fabregas and Robinho, given their open interest they have made over the weekend.

It is absolutely outrageous that they can get away with this, especially given the consequences it can have on the clubs involved. I accept the likes of Arsenal and City have an exceptional pool of talent and therefore should either player decide the lure of Barca, and the current best team in Europe is too much to play for then they'll be able to cope, but that isn't the problem here, it is the blatant double standards of the authorities who sanction a club like Chelsea for tapping up youngsters and yet allow someone like Barcelona to rock the foundations of other clubs by touting their best players. The usual upshot is the players end up kicking up a stink and force the hands of their current clubs to sell them and the only one who benefits is someone like Barca who know by planting this seed in the players mind, via the media, that their job is done. It is a disgrace that they get away with it and even more so that the authorities turn a blind eye to it, therefore it is time that clubs got together as one and bring this damaging practice fully to both FIFA and UEFA's attention"""".
Last edited by CITYTILLIDIE11 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Re: Fair Points !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:04 pm

Absolutely spot on, they have basically tapped Robinho up and got away with it

Yet you never hear anything from UEFA or FIFA

Double standards.

They only wanted to change the rules on spending when City appeared on the scene.
CITYTILLIDIE11

Postby Somerset Blue » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Is this a private conversation, or can anyone join in?
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Somerset Blue wrote:Is this a private conversation, or can anyone join in?
If you stick your glasses on you will see quotation marks on the article, deliberately put there by me.

That means it’s a copied and pasted article by someone else ffs.
CITYTILLIDIE11

Postby ant london » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:36 pm

CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:
Somerset Blue wrote:Is this a private conversation, or can anyone join in?
If you stick your glasses on you will see quotation marks on the article, deliberately put there by me.

That means it’s a copied and pasted article by someone else ffs.

I think he was more referring to you replying to your own post before anyone else had offered any comment.....
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Blatantly Tapping Up Players

Postby Slim » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Now we have that sorted out, the story makes a lot of sense, but it's hardly a new thing is it? Taggart did the same for Potatohead and Saha and Chelsea did it for Robbie before we even got a hold of him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:43 pm

In the interests of balance this is what Golum was acusing us of doing regarding Lescott (although its a fact that MH only ever responded to direct questions from the media rather than going fishing so to speak)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:48 pm

Dameerto wrote:In the interests of balance this is what Golum was acusing us of doing regarding Lescott (although its a fact that MH only ever responded to direct questions from the media rather than going fishing so to speak)

Yeah, but we went to Everton and made a bid, a story they released(with the slant, we said no to the big bad city empire), then we made a second bid and they rejected that too and released another story(Leave us alone). It was only after they ran to the press twice that Hughes responded in the press and that was a direct reply to a question. I am not his biggest fan and even I was applauding how he handled this one.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Every club does it, and in-turn rolls with it when it is done to them, Fergie did it to get Ronaldo and had to accept 5 yrs down the line what goes around comes around, my view on Robbi, He would love to join Barca, without any fuss, just my opinion.Football will never change.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Vhero » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Tapping up is bad but as for Barca doing it I don't know if they are it could be all paper talk and sometime I'm sure teams just declare interest in a player to unsettle them and weaken that team nothing more.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 pm

Vhero wrote:Tapping up is bad but as for Barca doing it I don't know if they are it could be all paper talk and sometime I'm sure teams just declare interest in a player to unsettle them and weaken that team nothing more.

Vhero, not being funny here but that is the whole purpose of tapping up. Firstly to unsettle them causing problems within their team, and secondly to entice/induce him into leaving! And mate, this ain't papertalk, they were direct quotes from Begiristain (Barca's Director of Football) don't you know.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:17 pm

Slim wrote:
Dameerto wrote:In the interests of balance this is what Golum was acusing us of doing regarding Lescott (although its a fact that MH only ever responded to direct questions from the media rather than going fishing so to speak)

Yeah, but we went to Everton and made a bid, a story they released(with the slant, we said no to the big bad city empire), then we made a second bid and they rejected that too and released another story(Leave us alone). It was only after they ran to the press twice that Hughes responded in the press and that was a direct reply to a question. I am not his biggest fan and even I was applauding how he handled this one.

awwwwww quoted just for prosperity, cheers bro ...

anyway, this type of shit has happened for years and its impossible to stamp out unless the media are restricted, which will not happen. If the media were advised that they were only allowed to speak about City and city players in a press conference then there would be NO NEWS. Its life, who cares? I dont, fuck em all.

Imagine a sanction against mentioning the name of a player that does not play for your team? The Spanish Teams presidents would not get their votes!!! Laporte would have a heart attack FFS.... Its swings and roundabouts and we are going to be as bad as the others at the top table.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Vhero » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Vhero wrote:Tapping up is bad but as for Barca doing it I don't know if they are it could be all paper talk and sometime I'm sure teams just declare interest in a player to unsettle them and weaken that team nothing more.

Vhero, not being funny here but that is the whole purpose of tapping up. Firstly to unsettle them causing problems within their team, and secondly to entice/induce him into leaving! And mate, this ain't papertalk, they were direct quotes from Begiristain (Barca's Director of Football) don't you know.

Didn't know mate but considering we are supposed to have a good relationship with barca now, obviously the club are not gonna like that.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:13 am

Vhero wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Didn't know mate but considering we are supposed to have a good relationship with barca now, obviously the club are not gonna like that.

I know mate, and that's why the MEN were reporting a 'source' inside the club stating that we are firmly against this. It is a backhand way of telling them to ram it!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to The Maine Football forum