2010 world cup reality check.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 2010 world cup reality check.

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:47 pm

crossan wrote:England have played no one of significance but the media will build them up as real contenders..............garbage,no decent keeper,two full backs who are ok going forward but crap at defending (Johnson and Cole),we do not have many world class players other than Shrek and Steven 'miseryguts' Gerrard...............Quarter finalists at best.

Isn't that the same as with every international tournament England have managed to qualify for over the past quarter century?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby sky_blue_stew » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:59 pm

For all of the analysis over the way teams play under a certain manager, the quality of their players, injuries, and the form going into the tournament, World Cups are still very much open to so many. Whereas in the prem the best team invariably wins it, World Cup is more like Champions League - a rough performance on the night and its all over. How many times have penalties knocked out stronger teams and allowed mediocrity to progress far. When Italy won it they were awful, whereas I doubt anyone could have seen France putting a run like that together before the tournament or Zidane suddenly taking 6 years off his performances. England have a chance, we always do. But I'm not going to make any predictions! Fools' game.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Slim wrote:I believe the swing seeding is Ukraine and Greece, not Portugal.

Either way, unless ROI get one of those two I can see them sitting this one out.

Greece current ranking: 12
Portugal current ranking: 17

Since the last rankings:

Greece won 2 home games against lower-ranking clubs (Latvia and Luxemburg).
As did Portugal (Hungary & Malta).
Greece will retain their ranking above Portugal.

Ukraine (currently ranked 25th) won at home to a higher ranking club, and away to a lower ranking one. They may possibly overtake Portugal, although I think it's unlikely.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:28 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:

Either way, unless ROI get one of those two I can see them sitting this one out.

Since the last rankings:

Ukraine (currently ranked 25th) won at home to a higher ranking club, and away to a lower ranking one. They may possibly overtake Portugal, although I think it's unlikely.

And I don't think this matters, cause they are making it up as they go along. They might seed on rankings, or previous wc performance or the record in quals or just however the hell they want. What I heard on the radio was that Portugal, Russia and France would be seeded and then either Greece or Ukraine would grab the last seeding.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Slim wrote:And I don't think this matters, cause they are making it up as they go along. They might seed on rankings, or previous wc performance or the record in quals or just however the hell they want. What I heard on the radio was that Portugal, Russia and France would be seeded and then either Greece or Ukraine would grab the last seeding.

Quite possible, with unseeded teams having to play at "neutral" venues. Seeing the unpreparedness of UEFA with this playoff situation has made me realise what a farce this whole thing is, and why I much prefer domestic football.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:00 pm

Bollox to what the media and pundits think. I think England have a chance of winning it!! FFS what is wrong with some of you miserable fooks. I just hope the players dont lay down and die as easy as some of you! where is your backbone ??

I Personally think weaker sides have gone on to the finals of the world cup and Euros in the past and even won it! Look how shite the big mighty Brazil were in Germany. If Capello can get them really well organised and playin as a proper unit, with maybe a bit of luck, I cant see why some think its so 'impossible' for us to go all the way. Im not saying I think we will win it.But I think we have as much as a chance as any of the other big nations that are in it. I cant see anyone seeing us as pushovers and cant see any being glad to be drawn against us in the groups..

Well dont know about some of you on here, but Ill be getting behind the lads and hoping for the best.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Fish111 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:20 pm

I think any true England supporter realises our shortcomings and it's only the cockney media that get too fuckin giddy every time we qualify for something. I'd be more than happy with a semi-final appearance and even that seems beyond me tbh.

We have shit goalkeepers, if James is the best then god help us.

Only Ashley Cole is quality at defending, John Terry is too slow but reads the game brilliantly and is brave, plug isn't up to it he's a liability. Not convinced with Johnson at all.

SWP isn't world class, Beckham is past it i'm afraid (motm last night my fuckin arse), we have no-one decent on the left. Gerrard is world class but cannot play alongside Lampard, Barry is a better option. Agbonlahor, Ashley young & Joe Cole are not good enough either.

Rooney is world class and Crouch can definately score and cause problems. Bent, Heskey & Cole are shite.

5 quality players will not be enough to win a world cup, simple as that.

Italy, Portugal, Brazil, Germany & Spain all have better teams than us, i don't give a shit how they qualified, they have the knowledge to go far in knockout competitions.

I'm English through and through but i'm also a realist, it's not our time this time i'm afraid but i'm gonna support our boys every match and drink to every minor success we have. COME ON ENGLAND!!!
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:02 pm

crossan wrote:England have played no one of significance but the media will build them up as real contenders..............garbage,no decent keeper,two full backs who are ok going forward but crap at defending (Johnson and Cole),we do not have many world class players other than Shrek and Steven 'miseryguts' Gerrard...............Quarter finalists at best.

its this kind of sensationalist rubbish that leads to everyone getting carried away with themselves.

shame on you crossan, we need to keep our feet on the ground.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby paulmclaren » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:24 pm

What about Rooney?
He's world clas whatever anyone say's.
We do have a really good chance i think as some of the other teams arn't all this n that either.
Lampard on the other hand has to be the most over ratted player ever!!
We will find out next friendly how far we are when we play Brazil and that little tranny Robinho will be playing no doub't.
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby crossan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:26 pm

john@staustell wrote:I'm happy your eternally optimistic assessments spread beyond City to England!

Don't get me wrong I would love us to have a successful campaign but the media will give a false evaluation of our chances..........
Luckily I have a second team!!!!
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Slim wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Since the last rankings:

And I don't think this matters, cause they are making it up as they go along. They might seed on rankings, or previous wc performance or the record in quals or just however the hell they want. What I heard on the radio was that Portugal, Russia and France would be seeded and then either Greece or Ukraine would grab the last seeding.

Its actually a total pisstake that they just 'decided' to seed the playoffs to ensure the 'big' teams don't meet. Can you imagine this being done in the quarter finals of the FA Cup. The cunts make it up as they go along to make the world cup full of the 'big' countries.

Personally, I'd take Greece or Portugal and think we'd go through in a playoff, particularly if Ronaldo is doubtful. France still have a lot of quality no matter how poor they may have been and any team of Hiddink's is a very dangerous side, so I don't want them.

All that said, Trapp is like Benitez and his system suits a two legged playoff far better than most teams. Frustrate the hell out of the opposition away and nick a goal or two at home.

Fingers crossed, I've a feeling if we qualify we'll end up in the same group as England.

That would be fun.
Original Dub

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:04 pm

paulmclaren wrote:

What about Rooney?
He's world clas whatever anyone say's.
We do have a really good chance i think as some of the other teams arn't all this n that either.
Lampard on the other hand has to be the most over ratted player ever!!
We will find out next friendly how far we are when we play Brazil and that little tranny Robinho will be playing no doub't.

Eh??? Why's Robbie and little tranny? What a weird thing to write?

On the subject of England, we just dont have the players. Look at our front line. Yeh we have Rooney, but who else? Heskey, Crouch, Defoe and Carlton Cole? Doesn't really measure up to France - Benzema, Henry, Anelka or Spains, Torres, Villa or Brazil Luis Fabiano, Adriano, Robinho. And our goalkeeper situation is a joke - David James, Ben Foster, Robert Green, Paul Robinson. All terrible or in James' case, passed it. England simply aren't a good enough team. Thats why they won't win it. Dont get me wrong, when it kicks off i'll be as sucked in as anyone, but to think that this is our best chance to win the world cup in years in deluded. IMO we had a better squad in the last one.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby david yearsley » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Rooney is hyped but truth is, he isn't in level with likes of Torres when it comes to bagging goals galore.

Sorry NQDP but you need to compare their recent international scoring records mate - atm Torres doesn´t even compare with Crouch
Internationally Torres can´t hit a fuclin barn door mate!
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:29 pm

david yearsley wrote:
Rooney is hyped but truth is, he isn't in level with likes of Torres when it comes to bagging goals galore.

Sorry NQDP but you need to compare their recent international scoring records mate - atm Torres doesn´t even compare with Crouch
Internationally Torres can´t hit a fuclin barn door mate!

I think you're bang on there mate - Robbie Keane has a better goal scoring rate for his country than Torres has for Spain as far as I know...

But, NQDP's point shouldn't be lost in these stats... I believe he means England aren't bringing a prolific goal scorer to the World Cup, by the looks of things.

And that can't be good... no matter what system you use. Torres is Spain's second deadliest weapon. Rooney is England's most deadly. Differences like that will determine why England will finish semi finalists at absolute best IMO.
Original Dub

Postby Somerset Blue » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:00 pm

It's ok, we've got Beckham...
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby dazlebluefrog » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:14 pm

intresting thread this,i wonder if platini had something to do with this when france were in the shit(seeding teams for play off)a cple of weeks ago i was hoping for a france /portugal so Mr fcuking Domenech would fcuk off ,he's more disliked than taylor and mcClaren put together
now i find us up against bosnia,ireland,slovenia or ukraine ,I'd take slovenia if i had a chance cause going to the ukraine in november ice &snow maybe on the pitch could cause a problem ,ireland would take 1,000's to the stade de france ,make a great atmosphere though,and a game at croke park would be hard ,bosnia could be the other team i'd fancy us to win against, i thought they'd do spain as no torres,villa,xavi,fabregas etc yesterday but got stuffed at home ,can "blueinbosnia" tell me what the game was like did your lot put a full strength team out ?but they do have a great forward in Dzeko
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby Jammie Dodger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:46 pm

As someone has already pointed out, tournaments always throw up surprises.

I've seen Denmark and Greece win the Euros and poor Agentina and Germany sides reach World cup finals.
Even Bulgaria reached the semis in the USA.

Realisically, who should we be afraid of?
IMO only Spain and Brazil but we all know how England always seem to freeze in quarter finals.
I think Spain will win the tournament

On a selection issue, I think Fatty Robinson has returned to form in goals, however he plays for a very unfashionable club so he's a forgotton man.

Who's our cover at right back if Johnson's first choice? Is this where Cappello's hoping Hargreaves will come back.

Rooney and Defoe are nailed on selections, but who from Carlton Cole, Heskey and Crouch?. I'd leave Heskey at home as he offers far less of a goal threat than the other two.

And we're loaded with right side players, so who for the left?
I reckon Gerrard will be asked to fill in there. If Joe Cole returns to some kind of form he'll be selected for the squad ahead of Milner.

On the right, Lennon, SWP, Walcott and Team Beckham.
Well he can't take four, so which two?
[center]Image[/center]
Jammie Dodger
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:19 pm

dazlebluefrog wrote:bosnia could be the other team i'd fancy us to win against, i thought they'd do spain as no torres,villa,xavi,fabregas etc yesterday but got stuffed at home ,can "blueinbosnia" tell me what the game was like did your lot put a full strength team out ?but they do have a great forward in Dzeko

Wasn't there, as I'm currently living in Belgium, but it was a pretty full-strength team out, playing half-heartedly as essentially a warm-up to the after-match party to celebrate reaching playoffs. Negredo (scored 2, created 1) was well up for it for Spain in his first competitive start. It's not just Dzeko, but his partnership with Misimovic (who I think would be a great alternative/replacement for SWP) that is Bosnia's biggest threat. The fact that tickets weren't sold out last night (in contrast, I sold my ticket for the home game vs Belgium for a week's wages) shows that there wasn't much being played for.

The greatest weakness, like England, is the lack of an established keeper. The guy who played in the nets for Pompey against us is actually Bosnia's third choice GK. Supic (the main choice) is the ultimate form player, and was playing in Serbia's 2nd division at the start of last season, from what I recollect, and has only gained 8 caps. The most capped, Hasagic, can make terrible errors, and can't organise a defence. Begovic (Pompey) is currently being 'blooded', having come on as a sub in the 90th minute against Estonia. All are young (22-28), and have a while to go before becoming the finished product. In fact, this can be said about the majority of the squad. Miralem Pjanic, one of Lyon's most promising youngsters, can hardly get a look-in.

Bosnia's team as a whole have a tendency to play their heart out in games against 'big' nations (last night excepted), but don't care so much about the middle-level games. Also, the diaspora act as a 'twelfth man' in so many western European countries, this can be really advantageous, which is why everyone is hoping we draw France, whereas many other countries would consider it the least favourable option.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby the_georgian_genius » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Button at the top, click on logout as you don't belong here.

Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world.

Not many world class players apart from Rooney and Gerrard? Lampard? Terry? Cole? all would get into any side in the world.
the_georgian_genius

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:58 pm

- - - - - - - - - - - - James

- - Johnson - - Terry - - Ferdinand - - Cole

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Barry

- - - SWP - - - - - Lampard - - - - - Gerrard

- - - - - - - - Rooney

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Cole

Is what I would go for, the reason I chose Carlton Cole above Heskey is because over thee last year I have been really impressed, I also think he offers the same attributes as Heskey and is a better goal scorer. It is vital we use a target man with the style we play under Capello in order to free up space for the likes of Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard to do their stuff.

Has to be James in net, no other keeper who is in the squad comes close to him imo. The one place that does worry me is the right hand side, I don't class any of our wingers world-class, Beckham past it, SWP brilliant but can't cross and Lennon the same and behind them is Glen Johnson, who can get forward as well as the best full-back's in the world but is just a good standerd Prem defender. Also as someone stated before as we get further on and face the likes of Spain or Brazil, we will get hammered down that right flank.

Semi-finals for us next year for us I rekon which will be a good achievement imo. Spain or Brazil to win it.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum