Ferguson writes transfer target a "love letter"

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ferguson writes transfer target a "love letter"

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Alex Ferguson has conceded Manchester United's interest in Steven Defour after sending a letter to the Standard Liege captain reassuring him that he remains in his thoughts.

The talented Belgium international is currently sidelined after breaking a bone in his foot, but was the subject of considerable interest in the summer.

Defour has previously attracted the attention of Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester City, while Everton had a £9million bid for the player rejected in the close season.

Liege are under no pressure to sell as Defour is under contract until 2013, while a move in January is prohibited in any case by his injury.

It would appear though that United could be weighing up a move in the summer as Ferguson has moved to reassure Defour of his interest.

The letter, which has been released to the media, reads:

"Dear Steven,
I have just heard about your injury and, in the name of Manchester United, I would like to wish you a full and speedy recovery.

"I am sure at the moment you must be feeling awful and that you'll have all kinds of questions.

"Steven, these are natural worries but I have to tell you that modern medicine and treatments are incredible, you have to have confidence in them.

"I'm going to follow your progress closely and I will remain in contact with your club to have news of your recovery."

Defour was delighted to receive Ferguson's letter but the 21-year-old was swift to point out that the Premier League club had done everything by the book and had sent it to his club to pass onto him.

"One thing I should like to highlight is that Ferguson has followed his interest officially," Defour told Het Laatste Nieuws. "He addressed the letter to Standard.

"I think the attention is great, but I do not want people to think I am already at Manchester, which is by no means the case.

"But if they come knocking, then I would obviously not cause problems."

Defour, who is rated as one of the most promising players in Belgium, is targeting the match against Anderlecht on 16th January for his comeback date.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: Ferguson writes transfer target a "love letter"

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:09 pm

The whiskey-swilling coffin dodger wrote:Dear Steven,
I have just heard about your injury and, in the name of Manchester U***d, I would like to wish you a full and speedy recovery.

"I am sure at the moment you must be feeling awful and that you'll have all kinds of questions.

"Steven, these are natural worries but I have to tell you that modern medicine and treatments are incredible, you have to have confidence in them.

"I'm going to follow your progress closely and I will remain in contact with your club to have news of your recovery.

This letter does have rather more than a whiff of desperation about it.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:22 pm

Glad to see he's using a more subtle wooing approach after his (alleged) antics in South Africa a few years back.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Vhero » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:39 pm

done everything by the book my arse if that ain't tapping up I dunno what is.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:14 pm

There is probably another part to the note, along the lines:

"You may be surprised at this rather direct approach for, with no disrespect intended, a slightly average talent, but the days when Manchester United were able to compete for the top talents has now gone. We have a precarious financial position which means that that we need to be a selling club - and anyhow we would not want to be globally embarrassed which would be the obvious outcome if we were to bid for a player that Manchester City were interested in....."
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Crossie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:16 pm

All we would need is Vincent to have a little word in his ear.

We dont need love letters.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Fish111 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:36 pm

We too should write a soppy letter expressing our concern and letting know that we are keeping tracks on his recovery but with a ps at the end:

P.S: When you are fully fit we will pay you treble whatever any other team offer.

That should do it. It'll get him thinking anyway.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Burt » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Is this not blatant "Tapping Up"?!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby IanWright » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Burt wrote:Is this not blatant "Tapping Up"?!

Thing is, the old duffer's done it before, hasn't he? Wishin Ruud van Horseface a speedy recovery and offerring him the chance to train with ManUre whilst he was still contracted to PSV.

If he got away with it last time, methinks they'll let him off again.
"If you asked 100 people, 99 would say Adebayor was wrong. The 100th would be Mark Hughes." Arsene Wenger
IanWright
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Arsenal
My favourite player is: Paul Merson

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 am

what a complete pervert this old drunken jock is...FFS...writing young men letters about how closely yr watching them.

Yr average paedo has done less to earn some jail time. Lock him up!!!

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john68 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:44 am

Can you imagine the horror of being a young man, getting a love note from taggart....
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Lev Bronstein » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:47 am

john68 wrote:Can you imagine the horror of being a young man, getting a love note from taggart....

Sounds like the plot for some well dodgy French novel from 100 years ago - Bonjour Vino Nez or something.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:04 am

Lev Bronstein wrote:
john68 wrote:Can you imagine the horror of being a young man, getting a love note from taggart....

Sounds like the plot for some well dodgy French novel from 100 years ago - Bonjour Vino Nez or something.

No wonder Brian Kidd left..
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:34 pm

It is not like he won't get away with it..........had this act been done by the Torquay manager, we would never see him in the game again.

The FA are backless and gutless to stand up to the biggot, and just continue to shit themselves if the "big 4" cartel of managers give them anything to make a decision on, they drag it out, in the hope it will go away.

Blatant Tapping up, but United have been doing this for years and will get away with it again, Platini and his cronies will also do nowt about this, even though having a pop at English sides has always been number 1 on his (Platini's) list, he will let this one wash, Chelsea were punnished enough to make them react and regret doing it, the same thing needs to happen to him and his team.

A 2 year Transfer Ban, or just kick the biggot out of Football.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby sky_blue_stew » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm glad Liege at least had the decency to leak it. Can you imagine you were a chairman and this letter arrives on your desk, to one of your most promising players, care of the club. By addressing it to the club Baconface has covered his rump, but I'm surprised Liege bothered even showing it to Defour. Should have been locked in a drawer, and then leaked if Ferguson made a second approach. Which thinking about it might have been what happened!
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby CitizenYank » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Did it kick off like this, via Bacon Faces' channeling Bessie Smith:

"I need a little sugar, in my bowl,
I need a little hot dog, between my rolls"

Come on and give me some Big Belgian Love Squeezins!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that what he's doing with the Ronaldo money!!
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
I have just heard about your injury and, in the name of Manchester U***d, I would like to wish you a full and speedy recovery.

"I'm going to follow your progress closely and I will remain in contact with your club to have news of your recovery.

I'm speechless. How fucking pathetic, and how pissed off must the club be - well done to them for releasing this to the media.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby M147WN » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:

Barney! Confiscate Dr. Lectors writting materials and remove his toilet seat for a month!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum