Rate the Ref - Alan Wiley

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Rate the Ref - Alan Wiley

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Due to the controversial comments from Taggart regarding Alan Pie'ly, was just wondering what your thoughts were after his first game back. Criteria is based on fitness and judgement with reasons. So:

Fitness: 8

Judgement: 3

He got around OK and seemed to be always up with play. As for judgement, I thought he had a very poor performance. That should never have been a yellow for Zab, completely missed the penalty claim of Shaun, only booked Wigan players when asked (ie. Zabs) and definately did not take appropriate action against Melchiott (?) when he went through on Carlos!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Rate the Ref - Alan Wiley

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Due to the controversial comments from Taggart regarding Alan Pie'ly, was just wondering what your thoughts were after his first game back. Criteria is based on fitness and judgement with reasons. So:

Fitness: 8

Judgement: 3

He got around OK and seemed to be always up with play. As for judgement, I thought he had a very poor performance. That should never have been a yellow for Zab, completely missed the penalty claim of Shaun, only booked Wigan players when asked (ie. Zabs) and definately did not take appropriate action against Melchiott (?) when he went through on Carlos!

Agree with all of that!

One of his bad decisions led to us having ten men. The other bad decision meant we didn't go two one up with a penalty and Wigan got to keep their 11 men.

Vital, vital decisions. They determined the result.

And he got them wrong.
Original Dub

Postby The Original Special One » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Fitness, 5
(he should have been on the spot for 'the penalty that wasn't!)
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:25 pm

The Original Special One wrote:Fitness, 5

He was on the spot but made a decision many disagree with. Could have gone either way and we didnt get the rub.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:50 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

He was on the spot but made a decision many disagree with. Could have gone either way and we didnt get the rub.

Hold on I'm not buying this whole thing that it could have went either way. The defender made no contact with ball whatsoever and brought the player down in the box.

The referee was wrong. That's why 'many disagree with him' Doug!! ;)
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Hold on I'm not buying this whole thing that it could have went either way. The defender made no contact with ball whatsoever and brought the player down in the box.

lol I am one of those who disagree but I also know I wouldnt have been happy if a pen had been given against us in that situation. I would guess that would be given on about 3 or 4 out of 10 occasions.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby edge275 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Wiley was a joke today. I think he's easily swayed by the home crowd.

When Zabaleta went in for his first challenge which was a nothing challenge, all the home fans went up in arms and he responded to it and booked Zabaleta. He then found himself having to book other fuckers for nothing based on Zabaleta's first 'challenge'.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Original Dub wrote:

lol I am one of those who disagree but I also know I wouldnt have been happy if a pen had been given against us in that situation. I would guess that would be given on about 3 or 4 out of 10 occasions.

Go on then Dougie, how would you rate his performance? Your not the manager yet you know, you are allowed ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:02 pm

I thought his fitness looked fine , no problems at all so an 8.
His judgements seemed pretty good generally. It's par for the course for a fan to disagree with decisions made against his team and I do think the pen should have been given but overall a 7 I would say.

I am not one of those who thinks in black and white as I feel many fans are especially when emotions are runnimng high. One bad/poor decision , whether by a player or referee or manager does not make them useless.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I thought his fitness looked fine , no problems at all so an 8.
His judgements seemed pretty good generally. It's par for the course for a fan to disagree with decisions made against his team and I do think the pen should have been given but overall a 7 I would say.

I am not one of those who thinks in black and white as I feel many fans are especially when emotions are runnimng high. One bad/poor decision , whether by a player or referee or manager does not make them useless.

I hear what you're saying, but it was two MAJOR decisions that determined the result.

One was a booking that should never have been given. Bad decision.

The other was a penalty without a doubt that not only would (most likely) have put us a goal ahead, but would also have resulted in Wigan being also down to ten men.

So in short, the referee put us a man down in error and left wigan with a full team and on level terms... in error.

Whenever a referee gets THE major decision in a game wrong he cannot be said to have had a good game surely.... I don't give a bollox if he ran like linford christie and covered more ground than all the players on the pitch. And since when did that matter? Its typical that a Taggart whinge has now become a topic when rating referees by both pundits and fans alike.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Cheers Dougie, but did anyone see, I'm sure it was Melchiott come through the back of Tevez? I was sure he was already on a yellow and was even surer that he's get another and walked, similarily to the Shaun incident!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:49 pm

I wonder how many of us immediately after Zabba fouled the guy for his first booking thought he would be booked for the challenge. I certainly did even though after, on the replay , you could see how innocuous it really was.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:54 pm

I don't think these discussions help football one bit.

So I give the thread 0
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:04 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I don't think these discussions help football one bit.

So I give the thread 0

laff.i personally know this thread wants to have your babies tho.

on topic, today wasn't about the refereeing.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Chinners » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:06 pm

I thought he reffed the game ok tbh, was only about 10 yards away for the penalty decision which as said in the match thread, I would have been gutted had that been given at our end.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Grob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Wiley bottled the penalty decision, if he'd gven it he would have had to have sent their man off aswell.

The first yellow for zabs was ridiculous and the following yellow for figueroa(whose one to keep an eye on imo) was also daft.

Wiley was poor
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:03 am

Had a decent game. He chose a line with decisions early on and stuck to it.

Zab deserved to go. It wasn't penalty for me and had that been on the other end and given I would be fuming.

We played quite poorly again and didn't deserve more than point, if that. These efforts to pass the blame are cringeworthy.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 am

I thought the 1st card for Zabba was ridiculous. I understand why he didn't give the pen; as Hughes said post match it would've looked from his angle like the Wigan player touched the ball.

Unfair to single out the 1st card for the loss of points when one of your players gets sent off in such reckless ridiculous fashion though. If the 2nd card had also been unjust we'd have a case but .....
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mase » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:19 am

I didn't think Zabs second challenge was fuckin yellow, never mind the first one. I said as soon as he slid in "He never touched him there" and you can see on the replay that if that nobody hadn't jumped over him and threw himself to the ground and stayed on his feet it wouldn't have even been a free kick!

I also think that Wiley's moobs were probably hitting him in the face as he was running, causing him to miss most important incidents in the match!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:52 am

I dont think he did to bad.
He probably did make a mistake with Zabba's first card and SWP's penalty but I think these kind of mistakes happen in every match.
Until FIFA make some changes as to how matches are refereed we will have to accept incidents like this will happen.
I would like to see three refs on the pitch along with the two linesmen.I think this might make it better.
As for Wiley's performance I dont think he showed any bias think he treated both sides the same.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum