Lack of creativity

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Lack of creativity

Postby Rag_hater » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:50 pm

I think when we get Stevie and Robson back playing together our creativity will return.
Barry and NDJ are good at the defensive stuff but I think neither of them are all that going forward.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Why is it with all the talent at our disposal, we have been playing with a lack of flair this season? I actually think we were more exciting to watch last season. Most of our goals lately have come from set-pieces,something we could never do before, but how many chances do we actually create from open play? It's frustrating as fucl.

And another thing, people were saying we don't miss Robinho. Given the fact nobody else has the ability or class to create anything whatsoever recently, I have come to the conclusion those people have shit for eyes.

agree mate. i don't mind losing if i'm entertained. its the 442 formation thats stopped that. ireland isn't as effective, neither shaun, and robbie will be the same.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby StrikeAnywhere » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:46 pm

after we scored both the goals and fulham scored i will say we lacked creativity especially when we began hoofing every fucking ball up front. but to be fair we dominated possession and managed 24 shots on goal. ireland and robbie when back in full flight will make us even more lethal than we already are. yes today was 2 points dropped but it was our defence that cost us.
StrikeAnywhere
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:29 am

I think that Robinho will have a big impact when he returns to that left hand side (when he get's his chance) and we will see alot more link up between Ade, Tevez and Ireland when he is in there. His creativity will make great chances for these three as we saw with Superman last season.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:44 am

Didn't see the game and not knocking Nigel, but I thought we were pretty solid without him early in the season. Last few games we have added a DM and not kept a clean sheet, for me attack is the best form of defence.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby ashton287 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:50 am

im not worried about our creativity its hard for any team to be creative when theres 11 opposition players in there own half, thats how teams like fulham are gonna play against us from now on n we have to get used to it look at the scum and chelsea most of there goals cum from balls crossed in or shots from the edge of the area robbie will make a diffrence when he comes back and ireland will find his form again with abit more rest ( i reckon he overworked himself durin of-season instead of restin like everyone else)

if i leave coms on wen after a 0-0 draw then ill be worried
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Wooders » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:09 am

Its not lack of creativity but soft goals which are causing me concern at the moment - we've had more than a few so far this season, given the quality we have a the back. Yes they need to gel, but... worrying
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Socrates » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:41 am

Wooders wrote:Its not lack of creativity but soft goals which are causing me concern at the moment - we've had more than a few so far this season, given the quality we have a the back. Yes they need to gel, but... worrying

Agree entirely, we shouldn't need to score 3 times to win games like today! In fact, if Zamora hadn't been doing his usual David Nugent impression we'd have conceded 4 or 5! Lack of protection from the central midfield is as much a concern as gelling at the back.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:10 am

Socrates wrote:
Wooders wrote:Its not lack of creativity but soft goals which are causing me concern at the moment - we've had more than a few so far this season, given the quality we have a the back. Yes they need to gel, but... worrying

Agree entirely, we shouldn't need to score 3 times to win games like today! In fact, if Zamora hadn't been doing his usual David Nugent impression we'd have conceded 4 or 5! Lack of protection from the central midfield is as much a concern as gelling at the back.

do you feel that Kompany did a better central midfield role last season than NDJ has done this season?

i agree that we're a soft touch defensively at times, and riding our luck more often than not it seems. as you said it could have been 4 or 5 today.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Socrates » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:18 am

Difficult to compare Kompany last season with De Jong this as the systems are different. The defence had more cover, especially in the second half of the season but by then Kompany, De Jong and Zabaleta were often all playing in central areas! We'd have to see Kompany in that position now to compare.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Dameerto » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:38 am

I mentioned in the match thread, the match centre on the official site shows us taking 24 shots with only 6 being on target (to Fulham's 12 shots, with 5 on target) - so creativity wasn't our problem today - accuracy was (plus a shite defensive performance)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 am

Some hilarious points made on here.

Bemoaning us playing 4-4-2 after most people were ranting at Hughes for not playing it last season

Saying we lack creativity????

Fact is that we should have polished that game off easily. We can moan at lack of clinical finishing but the defending was inept and that is why we dropped two points. I'm not going to single any of the defenders out in particular as all were culpable at points for inviting pressure onto us and for not

The criticisms I have are:

a) Kompany coming on was never going to win us the match. Weiss might've. Even Johnson would have given us more attacking options.

b) Stephen Ireland and SWP are hopelessly out of form. It is almost painful to watch them both at the moment.

Never mind though, I think we were lucky to win some of the first games we did and it is plain that we still need some time to bed in and for certain players (notably the defence) to get used to each other. Say what you like about ANY of our defensive unit but none of them have become bad players overnight. Simple as that.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 am

The problem was exactly the same as it was in two previous games. Lack of any creativity in the middle of the park. As against Wigan, we just kept trying to get going from wings but just as against Wigan, Hodgson quickly figured out our plan and we didn't have anything else to offer.

We scored two because we have superior individual players but tactically we are one dimensional now and that's why we are struggling to win games now.

And if some dick says that's harsh, I can say that I stayed away from this site after the game last night so that I wouldn't start nasty topic about this subject. Truth is though that our game has been carbonbase copy of Blackburns under Hughes and like I said when he was appointed, he needs to find tactician in him if he is going to form any sort of challenge for top four. We'll see but now it's not time to be stubborn but look for new ideas. World class attacking players alone will take us only so far.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby The Man In Blue » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:53 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Truth is though that our game has been carbonbase copy of Blackburns under Hughes

that is absolute bollocks mate. what do you base that on, because we put some crosses into the box? come on. scoring the goals was not the problem yesterday if you remember.

what impressed me yesterday was that we actually broke down a side who came and "parked the bus". we were shit at that last season, so another tick goes in the improved box. what hughes needs to do is sort the team's concentration out; when we get a goal or two ahead we seem to think the game is as good as won - same against arsenal, west ham.
The Man In Blue

Postby Vhero » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:25 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:The problem was exactly the same as it was in two previous games. Lack of any creativity in the middle of the park. As against Wigan, we just kept trying to get going from wings but just as against Wigan, Hodgson quickly figured out our plan and we didn't have anything else to offer.

We scored two because we have superior individual players but tactically we are one dimensional now and that's why we are struggling to win games now.

And if some dick says that's harsh, I can say that I stayed away from this site after the game last night so that I wouldn't start nasty topic about this subject. Truth is though that our game has been carbonbase copy of Blackburns under Hughes and like I said when he was appointed, he needs to find tactician in him if he is going to form any sort of challenge for top four. We'll see but now it's not time to be stubborn but look for new ideas. World class attacking players alone will take us only so far.

I
agree on this point I think our defence has been shocking but thats mainly down to Lescott and the RB position. Bridge has been performing well this season and credit to the guy. I also think our inability to break down teams that sit behind a 10 men wall is becoming frustrating. Which is obviously like you said due to creativity in the middle of the park and you know what the problem is their? No Robinho as bad as he was in some games he created that spark of creativity and along with Ade and Ireland he was amazing and I can't wait for him to come back.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 am

The Man In Blue wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Truth is though that our game has been carbonbase copy of Blackburns under Hughes

that is absolute bollocks mate. what do you base that on, because we put some crosses into the box? come on. scoring the goals was not the problem yesterday if you remember.

what impressed me yesterday was that we actually broke down a side who came and "parked the bus". we were shit at that last season, so another tick goes in the improved box. what hughes needs to do is sort the team's concentration out; when we get a goal or two ahead we seem to think the game is as good as won - same against arsenal, west ham.

I was going on and on (and on some would say) about Hughes' preferred tactics of 4-4-2 with two deep lying central midfielders and two wingers pushing forward, meaning there's efectively only four players doing attacking. I was hammered for saying that. That is EXACTLY the system we have been playing in past three games. Whether that's something Hughes is looking into or his long term preferred system remains to be seen.

If you are impressed with the way Hughes has set us in past three games then great. I am not. I'm sure you will get Douglas Higginbotham and Grob agreeing with you. Game of opinions.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Crossie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:07 am

I always think that in terms of concentration and improving "thinking ahead" the squad should all sit down and play Chess, yes Chess.

Stick them in 2's for an hour and let a little league going, put some bets on etc, then really get them into it, concentration and clear thinking will improve.

Lescott should stay behind for extra's with Micah. Turn the boy into Kasparov.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby dikdik » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:59 am

What is the answer then? Why the hell do city always manage to do the unexpected!!?? Now approaching my dotage and don't think I can take much more of this stress...

One observation I did make yesterday was the absence of smiles on the faces of city players. Even when we'd scored they were grimaces of relief. My impression was that cohesion had now returned to the squad and all was well on the morale front. Is this truly the case. Or is there something amiss behind the scenes?
The last 3 games did not ooze with the confidence and dexterity of the first three or four.

Happy players = relaxed players = a skilled and bonded team.
Come on MH
Motivate
Please.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:04 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I was going on and on (and on some would say) about Hughes' preferred tactics of 4-4-2 with two deep lying central midfielders and two wingers pushing forward, meaning there's efectively only four players doing attacking. I was hammered for saying that. That is EXACTLY the system we have been playing in past three games. Whether that's something Hughes is looking into or his long term preferred system remains to be seen.

If you are impressed with the way Hughes has set us in past three games then great. I am not. I'm sure you will get Douglas Higginbotham and Grob agreeing with you. Game of opinions.

Gareth Barry is not playing as a deep lying midfielder though. He is often in the box making passes, shooting and heading. In fact he's in the box far more than Tevez ever is.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:16 am

ant london wrote:Some hilarious points made on here.

Bemoaning us playing 4-4-2 after most people were ranting at Hughes for not playing it last season

Saying we lack creativity????

Fact is that we should have polished that game off easily. We can moan at lack of clinical finishing but the defending was inept and that is why we dropped two points. I'm not going to single any of the defenders out in particular as all were culpable at points for inviting pressure onto us and for not

The criticisms I have are:

a) Kompany coming on was never going to win us the match. Weiss might've. Even Johnson would have given us more attacking options.

b) Stephen Ireland and SWP are hopelessly out of form. It is almost painful to watch them both at the moment.

Never mind though, I think we were lucky to win some of the first games we did and it is plain that we still need some time to bed in and for certain players (notably the defence) to get used to each other. Say what you like about ANY of our defensive unit but none of them have become bad players overnight. Simple as that.

Errrrrrm 'scuse me slag. I wasn't moaning about 442, I'm saying that the flair players from last season aren't as effective in a 442 formation. Robbie and shaun aren't out and out wingers like they need to be in 442, they are like right and left forwards when they are most effective, and Ireland isn't banging them in and setting them up like he was as he is sitting back to much as an out and out CM instead of being an attacking midfielder.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum