I miss Richard Dunne

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: I miss Richard Dunne

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I THINK TOO MANY FANS ARE COPARING DUNNE WITH HIS REPLACEMENT WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE GIVEN THE WAY OUR DEFENSE HAS PERFORMED THIS SEASON.
IF DUNNE HAD BEEN REPLACED BY A TOP NOTCH DEFENDER THEN WE WOULDNT BE BRINGING UP THE DUNNE TOPIC AT ALL.

But Terry turned us down Carl, so they are the best we could get

THE BEST WE COULD GET IN ENGLAND MATE - I THINK WE DIDNT LOOK OUTSIDE THE PREMIERSHIP AS HUGHES STATED HE WANTED PREMIERSHIP PROVEN PLAYERS ,WHICH NORMALY I WOULD AGREE WITH, BUT I THINK AN EXCEPTION TO THAT RULE CAN BE MADE ESPECIALLY FOR THE DEFENSE AND WE SHOULD HAVE LOOKED AT THE ITALIAN LEAGUE MORE THAN ANY OTHER.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Alex Sapphire » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:10 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I THINK TOO MANY FANS ARE COPARING DUNNE WITH HIS REPLACEMENT WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE GIVEN THE WAY OUR DEFENSE HAS PERFORMED THIS SEASON.
IF DUNNE HAD BEEN REPLACED BY A TOP NOTCH DEFENDER THEN WE WOULDNT BE BRINGING UP THE DUNNE TOPIC AT ALL.

But Terry turned us down Carl, so they are the best we could get

THE BEST WE COULD GET IN ENGLAND MATE - I THINK WE DIDNT LOOK OUTSIDE THE PREMIERSHIP AS HUGHES STATED HE WANTED PREMIERSHIP PROVEN PLAYERS ,WHICH NORMALY I WOULD AGREE WITH, BUT I THINK AN EXCEPTION TO THAT RULE CAN BE MADE ESPECIALLY FOR THE DEFENSE AND WE SHOULD HAVE LOOKED AT THE ITALIAN LEAGUE MORE THAN ANY OTHER.

well hopefully this guy knows a few good uns from that league
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Grob wrote:If Dunne was still here he would be back in the team and our defence woud be more solid on the whole.

In my opinion.

Spot on mate. He has improved Villa, so he would improve us if he cam in now. No doubt in my mind.
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Fucking hell talk about kicking up an old topic? I think Dunne has shined at Villa but look at his age people he won't be doing it for many more years to come lets just move on for christs sake. He didn't perform under the previous manager for whatever reasons (probably tactics we won't ever know) and was sold probably through a disagreement with the manager or something else. As the "we needed the money" excuse was complete bullshit.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ant london » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Grob wrote:If Dunne was still here he would be back in the team and. our defence woud be more solid on the whole.

In my opinion.

Spot on mate. He has improved Villa, so he would improve us if he cam in now. No doubt in my mind.

The only thing that disappointed me about Dunne being sold was that it was 6-12 months overdue.

He's enjoying an Indian summer at Villa and I'm pleased for him. But I'm even more pleased that he's no longer at City.

Total liability in the last 18 months of his City career for me. His horrific captains "performance" against Hamburg was the final straw for me.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Blue2 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 pm

ant london wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Grob wrote:If Dunne was still here he would be back in the team and. our defence woud be more solid on the whole.

In my opinion.

The only thing that disappointed me about Dunne being sold was that it was 6-12 months overdue.

He's enjoying an Indian summer at Villa and I'm pleased for him. But I'm even more pleased that he's no longer at City.

Total liability in the last 18 months of his City career for me. His horrific captains "performance" against Hamburg was the final straw for me.

Just about spot on that Ant.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Vhero wrote:Fucking hell talk about kicking up an old topic? I think Dunne has shined at Villa but look at his age people he won't be doing it for many more years to come lets just move on for christs sake. He didn't perform under the previous manager for whatever reasons (probably tactics we won't ever know) and was sold probably through a disagreement with the manager or something else. As the "we needed the money" excuse was complete bullshit.

Vhero, seriously, will you stop wading into threads asking everyone to "move on". We'll have nothing left to fucking talk about!!!

Ant - I agree Dunne's form was shit for a while with us, but I happen to think it was just that -form.

The fact he had so many excellent seasons and that he isn't 35 or older meant that there was a far bigger chance that he would have an excellent season than a shit one again.

And he is proving that. Indian summer? We're more than halfway through the season and he's one of the front runners for Villa's POTY.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:20 pm

I don't, I hated watching him but I wouldn't have let him go yet & I predicted we'd get injuries & miss him as a team.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Ant - I agree Dunne's form was shit for a while with us, but I happen to think it was just that -form.

The fact he had so many excellent seasons and that he isn't 35 or older meant that there was a far bigger chance that he would have an excellent season than a shit one again.

And he is proving that. Indian summer? We're more than halfway through the season and he's one of the front runners for Villa's POTY.

Yeah mate, I am very happy to admit that I am in a minority in my views re Dunnie.

He was a great servant to City and I am fond of him as an ex City player but on a talent/contribution front I was disappointed when Distin left and was actively happy that Dunne was encouraged out of the door.

I'm not "doing an Edge". I don't think Dunne was a cunt or harbour any ill will towards him BUT I thought (and think) he was an abysmal captain, he was someone capable of putting in colossal performances against the very best but fucking up royally and expensively and costing us in less pressured situations. I was sick of the needless red cards and own goals and the abject lack of leadership.

I don't expect you to agree. Its my opinion and has been long debated with blue friends (who mostly disagree also).

As to his Indian summer. Good for him if he maintains this form/influence at Villa. I wish him nothing but good. But I, like you do inversely, think this is a purple patch of form and we shall see at some point a return to the Dunne was saw for his last season or so at Eastlands
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:41 pm

ant london wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Yeah mate, I am very happy to admit that I am in a minority in my views re Dunnie.

He was a great servant to City and I am fond of him as an ex City player but on a talent/contribution front I was disappointed when Distin left and was actively happy that Dunne was encouraged out of the door.

I'm not "doing an Edge". I don't think Dunne was a cunt or harbour any ill will towards him BUT I thought (and think) he was an abysmal captain, he was someone capable of putting in colossal performances against the very best but fucking up royally and expensively and costing us in less pressured situations. I was sick of the needless red cards and own goals and the abject lack of leadership.

I don't expect you to agree. Its my opinion and has been long debated with blue friends (who mostly disagree also).

As to his Indian summer. Good for him if he maintains this form/influence at Villa. I wish him nothing but good. But I, like you do inversely, think this is a purple patch of form and we shall see at some point a return to the Dunne was saw for his last season or so at Eastlands

That's sound chief, its all about opinions...

We'll watch with great interest how he gets on over the course of the whole season at Villa, where he has better defenders around him than he did in all his time here... and more importantly, a settled defence.

I've been very impressed so far.

PS You've turned into a cunt since you became ant cairo

;)
Original Dub

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 am

Well then, you can give him a wave when Tevez leaves him for dead each time before scoring two at Wembley.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby smurfsdabomb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Vhero wrote:Fucking hell talk about kicking up an old topic? I think Dunne has shined at Villa but look at his age people he won't be doing it for many more years to come lets just move on for christs sake. He didn't perform under the previous manager for whatever reasons (probably tactics we won't ever know) and was sold probably through a disagreement with the manager or something else. As the "we needed the money" excuse was complete bullshit.

I don't get people who point out a players age when they're barely 30. He's a centre for christ sake, you want your centre halves to be 28-32 ideally, good experience. Cannavaro, Nesta, Maldini, Thuram, Ayala, Zanetti, Carvalho, Samuel etc most the great centre backs of the last decade didn't peak until well into their 30's. And Dunney was never renowned for his pace, its power, presence and positioning that he made a name for himself as and he'll be every bit as good in 4 years as he is today.
smurfsdabomb
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby smurfsdabomb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 pm

ant london wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I can see where you're coming from with this view but from watching Dunne with Ireland over the years I'd always say hes at the peak or trough of however the defence is playing. When the defence is poor, the fullbacks are getting stretched thats when Dunney is running everywhere trying to cover everything and flailing wildly giving away penalties, OGs and getting red cards where a lesser defender would shrug it off, stick to their position and let the full back take the blame. It always frustrated me when Richards/Bridge would mess up again on their flank forcing Dunney to compensate for them with desperation tackles which would then result in him taking the stick for it.
In a good back line like we've had recently though he's a rock, wins every ball, dominates the opposition and is a lead by example kind of player, I don't think anyone would ever see him as unreliable or error prone but then when you have McShane on your squad everyone looks like mr.reliable in comparison.

Thought it spoke volume after the "hand of henry" goal when it was Richard Dunne Thierry went over to apologise to at the end of the game despite Robbie Keane being captain, I think Henry recognised Dunnes presence for the team and saw him as the actual leader, if not the formal one.
smurfsdabomb
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum