Training Monday 26/10

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Monday 26/10

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:28 pm

The usual Monday after a Sunday session but I felt with an extra edge after the Fulham game. Only the bench players were around and supplemented by reserves so it was Vinnie/Johnno/Garrido/Silv/Weiss/Ireland/Zabba/RSC plus Mee/Ball/Clayton/Vidal/Benjani.

Plenty of warm up stuff and then different game situations with a lot of emphasis on communication , defences keeping really tight , lots of movement etc etc.The communication part was interesting as again it showed how vocal Stu Taylor is compared to others and how important it can be as well to ensure good decisions are made by defenders both when on the ball and also when they could switch off with the ball away at the other end.

In a brief early chat it was clear there would be extra emphasis on defensive work after what was clearly poor yesterday. Not just the individual weaknesses but in the overall team defending as well. Today I thought Stevie stood out quite well. Partly in demanding and dominating the ball but also with the great touches which we know so well. A fellow spectator told me that Stevie isn't 100% over the problem he had a few weeks back when he had to leave the field with dizziness. Maybe that's part of why he hasn't been starting but my gut feel is that he will start on Wednesday.

Johnno again looked a fraction nearer that real fitness needed for full first team action. It was always going to be a long job but it's coming and the touch is still there. A couple of nice goals stroked in in the 7 a side game too were nice reminders. RSC didn't take part in the football today as he is still not well from the illness. He wasn't expected at all today but felt a lot better but not enough for a match practice scenario.Vinnie was showing up well and taking it very seriously as he always does as Adam Clayton found out when he scythed him to the floor.

Eddie N was also taking no prisoners in the training as he was shouting his instructions and when they weren't being followed well he was stopping the play to let them know what he thought in no uncertain terms.On one occasion that involved bringing the ball back to let a player know that when he loses the ball and gets dumped on the floor in the process that his sole reaction has to be to get up quickly and get back to helping his teammates rather than wallow on the deck for a few seconds looking for sympathy. Fun to watch!

Toure got a bang on the heel in the first half yesterday and by the sound of it stayed on too long and clearly in unlikely to play Wednesday. Petrov was having a scan but they hope/expect it won't be serious but I am sure he would be a very unlikely starter too. Other with niggles should be ok for selection for what is a very important game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Monday 26/10

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:43 pm

Nice one Doug, good to hear them getting grilled in defensive situations after yesterdays mess.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:41 pm

I forgot to mention Nedum was out doing 1 to 1 stuff with a physio. Seemed to me he was sprinting more so that's a good sign and maybe he will be back in full training next week.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:59 pm

i would have made them all go in after sunday,
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm

CITYSTEVEDON wrote:i would have made them all go in after sunday,

Wasn't very good was it but I am sure the sports science guys wouldn't have liked that! I think they would all have been inside doing some work but no doubt looking at videos of the game and hopefully listening and learning.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby shortagain » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks Doug. In view of the opposition on Wednesday, hope they take the opportunity to get some game time into Taylor, Silvinho, Vinnie, Jono & RSC with obviousley Zabba coming in for MR. Any chance do you think.
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:13 pm

shortagain wrote:Thanks Doug. In view of the opposition on Wednesday, hope they take the opportunity to get some game time into Taylor, Silvinho, Vinnie, Jono & RSC with obviousley Zabba coming in for MR. Any chance do you think.

I don't think they will go into wholesale changes no but some enforced ones where there are injuries , so Vinnie for Kolo and somebody for Petrov. Zabba may well come back for Micah and if it were me I would definitely get Stevie in from the start. I half thought RSC might get a start too but with his illness he might not be fit enough. Johnno I expect will play some part but maybe not from the start.

We cannot afford to start badly against Scunny and get the crowd all anxious.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Biamp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Cheers Doug, another great report. Hope everyone else is ready and fit for Wednesday.
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum