Correlation between league position & goal difference

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Correlation between league position & goal difference

Postby ENIAM NAM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:59 pm

We all know the league table takes a bit of time to settle down in terms of teams finding their real positions (esp with games in hand) but, looking at the table today, i noticed an interesting gap developing in relation to everyones goal difference. At the moment, the usual top 4 have the best goal difference with between +10 and +16, us and spurs are on +7 and Villa are on +5. Sunderland are the only other team with a positive goal difference.

I know we were all getting a bit carried away (admittadly before the weekend) with some thinking we should be competing for the title, but I remember a thread before the season started where the general concensus was that we should be pushing for a CL spot and the majority would be happy with 5th. I know it is still early days and the margins are minimal, but the goal difference stats to date seems to indicate that may be the case.

In all of the last few seasons that I looked at, the top 4 have had by far the best goal difference records. Not rocket science - makes sense really.

Yes - yesterday was bloody frustrating, but the point I am trying to make is lets judge the team/manager on realistic expectations and as far as I am concerned we remain on track to push the top 4 all the way, especially given we still have the January transfer window to look forward to.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Re: Correlation between league position & goal difference

Postby kinkylola » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 pm

I think a more accurate indicator is probably goals allowed.

Goal difference can be inflated, especially when playing teams like hull and pompey, although it does seem to work out that better goal difference is found at the top end of the table.

see fulham last year ... i think they had the lowest goals allowed in the league (someone can correct me on that). No one would label them offensive juggernauts, and i'm sure they're goal differential was low ... but they got 7th because of stingy defense. Of course it had to do with parking the bus every game, but that's not the point.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Return to The Maine Football forum