Spurs' possible new stadium

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Spurs' possible new stadium

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 am

ant london wrote:
Blue in North London wrote:RE Arsenal's ground - is it only me who dislikes The Emirates? Padded seats? if I want a comfy seat, I will stay at home and watch it on the tele. I also dislike the fact that at the Emirates, the stands are split into to by a large band of corporate seating and facilities that goes around the ground.

Balls to that. I love the Emirates

Big padded seats....legroom, decent bars

Brilliant

sounds fucl all like a footy stadium to me. NO seats is the ultimate, but not allowed in England. So next best thing is cheap shitty plastic seats that you can stand on. Or those foldy seats so you can just stand in front of em, don't need any legroom. Hip-flask filled with Jagermeister beats a decent bar every time.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 am

Surely they're going to call it something better than the Naming Rights Stadium (image 3)???????
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby ant london » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 am

Blue in North London wrote:
ant london wrote:
Blue in North London wrote:RE Arsenal's ground - is it only me who dislikes The Emirates? Padded seats? if I want a comfy seat, I will stay at home and watch it on the tele. I also dislike the fact that at the Emirates, the stands are split into to by a large band of corporate seating and facilities that goes around the ground.

Brilliant

Ant, you're a good poster, but in the post above you sound like a corporate tart :)

Oh I am!!

Thing is, I've watched football in all kinds of grounds and from all positions. Been tonnes in corporate boxes (boring as fcuk), in corporate "club" seats right down to standing in the pissing rain at Gigg Lane and Boundary Park or just standing in the park

At City I have usually got the option of a box if I wanted to but I prefer being down in 110 stood up all match and screaming.

BUT, that said, when I'm not standing (pre match, bit of half time maybe or during lulls in the game) I'd honestly prefer to be sat on a nice comfy seat scoffing my pastie....

To be honest, when there's no action going on I absolutely hate standing up. People hark back to terracing but it was only better for the atmosphere. Having nowhere to sit at all used to get on my tits.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Blue in North London » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:12 pm

ant london wrote:

Brilliant

Ant, you're a good poster, but in the post above you sound like a corporate tart :)
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby john@staustell » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Looks like the 400+ homes will be paying for most of it.

It's all gone quiet on the COMS front recently. Leaving aside all the 'run-before-you-can-walk' arguments, we need to plan now or all the other clubs are getting bigger/better stadia, which is against all our owner's philosophy.

Anyone got any inside info on COMS plans?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Fish111 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 pm

City are looking at plans to make the South Stand a single tier end amongst other designs. They had architects come up with different designs for when the refurb/expansion happens in a couple of years if granted by the council.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john@staustell » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:21 pm

Fish111 wrote:City are looking at plans to make the South Stand a single tier end amongst other designs. They had architects come up with different designs for when the refurb/expansion happens in a couple of years if granted by the council.

Thanks
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Fish111 wrote:City are looking at plans to make the South Stand a single tier end amongst other designs. They had architects come up with different designs for when the refurb/expansion happens in a couple of years if granted by the council.

I thought much the same pal.

No doubt the Sheikh will have his top boys on it and im sure his Architects and builders could pretty much do anything.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Personally, I still think a football stadium should have 4 distinct sides, each with a different height roof. COMS and the like are great for being able to see and get to a loo, but they still don't feel like a football ground for some reason.

I want 4 massive single tiers for home fans and an uncovered section in the corner for the away fans. You could then stick a bit of temporary seating in the other corners if you needed to increase capacity and just put some corrugated steel around them to stop people watching the game for free. Top tip - don't have a hill in the corner, otherwise it will be full of scallys.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Sister of fu » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:45 pm

At City I have usually got the option of a box if I wanted to but I prefer being down in 110 stood up all match and screaming.

Excuse me fuck face but when were you going to offer this little nugget to me and the lady wife, i love it in the boxes and im sure H would. Put that on the list of jobs to do on your return.....!!!!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Fish111 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Excuse me fuck face

Ha ha, is that how you get things done then? I'll have to try that next time i'm in ASDA Lol.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:01 pm

One things for sure,id rather have Eastlands than any of these pieces of tosh.
All shit same design bollocks.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Blue in North London » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:17 pm

john@staustell wrote:Looks like the 400+ homes will be paying for most of it.

I doubt that will cover it. House prices in Tottenham are low. A significant proportion will have to be social housing. Tottenham isn't a nice place, and it's getting progressively worse.

I haven't read much into Spurs' proposal, but I would have thought that the housing may be a partnership project (maybe with the Council or an organisation such as Fairview) designed to encourage the Haringey Council to accept Spurs' proposals.

On another note: Spurs is a very difficult ground to get away from unless you live along the Enfield Town or Cheshunt train lines. It's going to be a lot more difficult to 20k more people trying to get away. Not forgetting that the CPZ makes it more difficult to park nearer the ground
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby pepsi_dave » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Just reiterates the need to do something with COMS...the away end is in the wrong place and splits home fans and the atmosphere suffers for it...the Hamburg game aside...even in the derbies...the atmosphere has been nothing like Maine Road...even to the point where it has been embarrassingly stagnant

I disagree with you on this one IBH, the position of the away fans at Maine Road was never an issue (between the north stand and the kippax), those very same sections of fans are still split by the away fans sdo why is it different now.....??? Moving them WILL NOT solve the problem, it's the design of the stadium itself. The north stand at MR was one tier, that is now split into two tiers and this acts as a barrier between the fans and has a massive impact in how the atmosphere generates itself.

The new spuds stadium incorporates a massive one tiered stand behind the goal "to help improve the atmosphere" and this is exactly the sort of thing we needed at COMS when it was built, we had the chance with the North Stand only being temporary during the commonwealth games but we missed the trick.... either we have to wait until we get a new stadium (but that could be a long way off) or there needs to be some serious redseign of the existing structure - until either of those happen, the atmospohere will always to live up to the potential or expectation.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Very impressive I have to say, like that sloped stand and how close it is to the pitch, Spurs have got a top designer in there. However, I don't see them filling 55,000 every week.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Vhero » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Very nice but do they have enough fans regularly visiting to even fill it? I know Emirates has like a 2 year waiting list for season tickets or something daft but I never heard spurs fans having problems getting tickets for matches before.. What's the point of a bigger stadium if you cannot fill the existing one?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ronk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Vhero wrote:Very nice but do they have enough fans regularly visiting to even fill it? I know Emirates has like a 2 year waiting list for season tickets or something daft but I never heard spurs fans having problems getting tickets for matches before.. What's the point of a bigger stadium if you cannot fill the existing one?

The demand for seats is much higher with the Emirates stadium. There are more people willing to pay more money for a seat in a bigger stadium for a team that has been winning less since the stadium opened.

Despite adding over 20k seats, it seems to be harder to get tickets. That's the dream for any stadium development and it happens because fans are so happy with their match-day experience in a state-of-the-art stadium. Arsenal have essentially constructed a 60k seater stadium selling only premium seats. It's an astonishing achievement and one that could see Arsenal becoming the richest club in England if they can sustain current trends for long enough to pay down their debt to reduce interest levels and can again dominate football here for a spell.

Spurs are hoping to do likewise, generate a new tradition of match attendance by introducing a new stadium. This strategy looks different though in several key ways. Being closer to central London, Arsenal have a huge advantage in expanding their base of people intending to start attending matches. This is absolutely key for home Champions League fixtures on weekday nights. They also have been a lot more successful and appear likely to be for the future (and certainly did when they built the stadium).

The single tier changes things for them. They're unlikely to use it as an away area so they'll have to find somewhere else for that. With areas like that there's a normal expectation of lower ticket prices, it's been a key part of such development. This makes the issue of filling the larger stadium that bit easier but runs the risk of cannibalising sales of more expensive seats. It would appear that the plan would be to raise ticket prices to the point where many existing ticket holders and young vociferous fans would buy seats in the single tier stand (and create a wall of noise) while many more affluent fans would take up seats elsewhere.

If the new stadium is really on the same site there could be some issues there unless Spurs can pull some trickery off, like borrowing Wembley, Twickenham or the Olympic athletics track (which is supposed to be temporary but could always stick around for a year or two).
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Ronk this is how they are gonna do it pal.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/spur ... Ground.jpg
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Vhero » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:40 pm

ronk wrote:
Vhero wrote:Very nice but do they have enough fans regularly visiting to even fill it? I know Emirates has like a 2 year waiting list for season tickets or something daft but I never heard spurs fans having problems getting tickets for matches before.. What's the point of a bigger stadium if you cannot fill the existing one?

The demand for seats is much higher with the Emirates stadium. There are more people willing to pay more money for a seat in a bigger stadium for a team that has been winning less since the stadium opened.

Despite adding over 20k seats, it seems to be harder to get tickets. That's the dream for any stadium development and it happens because fans are so happy with their match-day experience in a state-of-the-art stadium. Arsenal have essentially constructed a 60k seater stadium selling only premium seats. It's an astonishing achievement and one that could see Arsenal becoming the richest club in England if they can sustain current trends for long enough to pay down their debt to reduce interest levels and can again dominate football here for a spell.

Spurs are hoping to do likewise, generate a new tradition of match attendance by introducing a new stadium. This strategy looks different though in several key ways. Being closer to central London, Arsenal have a huge advantage in expanding their base of people intending to start attending matches. This is absolutely key for home Champions League fixtures on weekday nights. They also have been a lot more successful and appear likely to be for the future (and certainly did when they built the stadium).

The single tier changes things for them. They're unlikely to use it as an away area so they'll have to find somewhere else for that. With areas like that there's a normal expectation of lower ticket prices, it's been a key part of such development. This makes the issue of filling the larger stadium that bit easier but runs the risk of cannibalising sales of more expensive seats. It would appear that the plan would be to raise ticket prices to the point where many existing ticket holders and young vociferous fans would buy seats in the single tier stand (and create a wall of noise) while many more affluent fans would take up seats elsewhere.

If the new stadium is really on the same site there could be some issues there unless Spurs can pull some trickery off, like borrowing Wembley, Twickenham or the Olympic athletics track (which is supposed to be temporary but could always stick around for a year or two).

Of course the main difference is one teams Arsenal here and one team is Spurs. Spurs trying to emulate what they did I don't think is gonna work. Didn't work for us really did it?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ronk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:44 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Ronk this is how they are gonna do it pal.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/spur ... Ground.jpg

Thanks. Didn't realise the site was big enough for that.

Does this mean that the single tier end will be the last part to be built (so they can wait an extra year before fully committing to it)?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum