2 new fullbacks

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

2 new fullbacks

Postby john@staustell » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Although it's obviously a garbage rag, the Mirror is the latest of several to carry the story (today) about Les targeting 2 new fullbacks in January.

It is difficult to argue against this, as the current encumbents are now visibly starting to threaten our league position, and therefore the whole ADUG plan for this season.

Richards - well-documented failings, the only mystery is why we may give him a new deal (unless it's to get a better price off some sucker)

Zabba - seems a good old boy, but seen I think as ideal back-up, rather than first-choice

Bridge - I have always defended him but can't explain some of his failures to tackle, most notably when he reached Duff on Sunday and turned away instead of doing a simple right-foot block, giving a goal. Good attacking player but..............

Sylvino - cover only, nearly as old as me.

Garrido - crap

So you can bet your bottom dollar we will want to get real top players in a drive to push on toward the end of the season. So the question is, who will we be able to prise from where in mid-season????????????????
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: 2 new fullbacks

Postby Martinez » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:41 pm

john@staustell wrote:Although it's obviously a garbage rag, the Mirror is the latest of several to carry the story (today) about Les targeting 2 new fullbacks in January.

It is difficult to argue against this, as the current encumbents are now visibly starting to threaten our league position, and therefore the whole ADUG plan for this season.

Richards - well-documented failings, the only mystery is why we may give him a new deal (unless it's to get a better price off some sucker)

Zabba - seems a good old boy, but seen I think as ideal back-up, rather than first-choice

Bridge - I have always defended him but can't explain some of his failures to tackle, most notably when he reached Duff on Sunday and turned away instead of doing a simple right-foot block, giving a goal. Good attacking player but..............

Garrido - crap

So you can bet your bottom dollar we will want to get real top players in a drive to push on toward the end of the season. So the question is, who will we be able to prise from where in mid-season????????????????

Sort of agree but the question in bold is the big one. I can't see how we could possibly improve on what we've got in the next window, summer maybe. It would have to be a proven prem player or one that doesn't need time to adapt and better than we already got. I'd say there are about 8-10 that qualify, I can't see any of them being sold in January
Martinez
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby mr_nool » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Martinez wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Although it's obviously a garbage rag, the Mirror is the latest of several to carry the story (today) about Les targeting 2 new fullbacks in January.

Garrido - crap

Sort of agree but the question in bold is the big one. I can't see how we could possibly improve on what we've got in the next window, summer maybe. It would have to be a proven prem player or one that doesn't need time to adapt and better than we already got. I'd say there are about 8-10 that qualify, I can't see any of them being sold in January

Or you can scout well and have a bit of luck, like Arsenal with Vermaelen (a central defender, but you get my point).
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Martinez » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:58 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Martinez wrote:

Garrido - crap

Or you can scout well and have a bit of luck, like Arsenal with Vermaelen (a central defender, but you get my point).

And a summer signing if I'm not mistaken, but I do get your point. As much as I'd love for us to snap up a player like that, It would be a huge change of transfer- strategy from this summer.
Martinez
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:01 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Martinez wrote:

Garrido - crap

A central defender who is crap in defence, but would make quite a handy midfielder...
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby aristation » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:13 pm

I think we should try Lescott out on the left for a couple of weeks to find his feet with Vincent in the middle. Vincent's presence would make a big difference. That is of course if Toure is going to be fit!
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby Original Dub » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:27 pm

aristation wrote:I think we should try Lescott out on the left for a couple of weeks to find his feet with Vincent in the middle. Vincent's presence would make a big difference. That is of course if Toure is going to be fit!

What we need until January is to hopefully have the same back four playing for the majority without long term injury or suspension, particularly the two CBs. Bridge is adequate cover until Jan and we all know RB is our weakest link, but we have to learn to defend as a unit before we start shipping others either out of the club or over to the left hand side as you are suggesting with Lescott.

Buy a £24m centre half and ship him out the left so that Kompany can find his feet? Its not the way forward IMO. Kompany can cover Lescott and Onouha can cover Toure when we are playing lesser games etc. Other than that it is imperitive that we give them all time to gel.

Also, we're not doing half as badly in defence as some are making out on here. Sure we've let disappointing goals in, but so have everyone else! Because we have the money now to become a great force, its hard not to want to be that great force NOW! But we have to let the lads become a TEAM.

I haven't seen them click as a team yet this season, barring maybe patches of the west ham game, so when I see us clicking for a few games and looking top, I'll pick out who just isn't cutting it and want them replaced/moved to cover. I think Hughes will do the same.
Original Dub

Postby The Brazilian Genius » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Based on what i have seen recently i would be tempted to give Kompany a start at the heart of the defence. Whether that means dropping lescott or moving him to left back i do not know.

I am not critiscising lescott here tho, just feel that defensively we have been a bit sloppy recently. Whether Vinny is teh answer i do not know. But worth a try?
The Brazilian Genius
Negouai's Red Cards

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 pm

The Brazilian Genius wrote:Based on what i have seen recently i would be tempted to give Kompany a start at the heart of the defence. Whether that means dropping lescott or moving him to left back i do not know.

I am not critiscising lescott here tho, just feel that defensively we have been a bit sloppy recently. Whether Vinny is teh answer i do not know. But worth a try?

First of all it would be nice to have everybody to pick from. Then selection should surely be significantly based on form! Kompany will probably get a run at center half tonight and if he does well ( even though it's only Scunny) he probably should stay in.With Toure if he is fully fit or Lescott if not. That would mean Lescott dropping out and getting rid of the little calf niggle he has but as he hasn't been playing great it seems right anyway.

Zabba for Richards and the back is sorted.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Renato_CTID » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:56 pm

Garrido - crap

Won't you be too much severe, John? Give them a little bit more time to understand they all are playing in a top four potential club!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Renato_CTID » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:56 pm

Garrido - crap

Won't you be too much severe, John? Give them a little bit more time to understand they all are playing in a top four potential club!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Vhero » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Could do with a RB who can also play in CB there are a few about but are there any world class ones we could get though? It would sort our RB problem out and make Micah fight for his place as well as take over for Toure while away in Africa come January. Also perfect for injury reasons.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby irblinx » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Zabba for Richards and the back is sorted.

Agreed, Bridge has been mostly brilliant so far this season, Toure is great, Lescott still finding his feet but very strong and getting better all the time, Zabba would be good if he'd stayed on his feet a bit more.

As back up Vinne and Neds are both top quality CB's when fit but we aren't quite as well served at FB, Silvinho will hopefully get a chance to show his worth tonight but Micah is woeful in defence (and not really anywhere near as dynamic going forward as he was either). I'd rather see Micah out on loan and Shaleum as cover. I would expect us to either be looking for "ones for the future" or waiting till summer and capturing a top class RB and a back up LB to replace Silvinho who is surely only here for a season.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby chef » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Vhero wrote:Could do with a RB who can also play in CB there are a few about but are there any world class ones we could get though? It would sort our RB problem out and make Micah fight for his place as well as take over for Toure while away in Africa come January. Also perfect for injury reasons.

a right back who could get his head on the ball at set pieces could be the answer ,....we sold 1 to spurs last season !
chef
De Jong's Tackle

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:39 pm

john@staustell wrote:Garrido - crap

I forgot he was still here.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site