*MCFC V Scunthorpe* Official Match Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *MCFC V Scunthorpe* Official Match Thread

Postby mr_nool » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 am

I love the Ireland goal. He makes it look so easy!
Really nice to see Johnson in action again. He's goal was class as well!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Vhero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:21 am

mr_nool wrote:I love the Ireland goal. He makes it look so easy!
Really nice to see Johnson in action again. He's goal was class as well!

I think it was easy mate he caught them all off guard lol I thought Johnsons goal was slightly better myself but I guess thats just a preference thing they were both beautys.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby lythamblue » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 am

I enjoyed it last night. It was good to sit there with us comfortably ahead for a change, knowing we were going through and being able to watch the fringe players come on and do their stuff without all that normal nervous anxiety.

In a strange way, it was a good job they scored really as I think that we we adopted a different mentality after that ...... a bit like poking an otherwise friendly bear with a big stick!

Up until their goal, maybe because we scored early, we seemed to start trating it as a training/exhibition match with too many attempts at fancy one touch slide rule passes etc. After their goal, we went at them with more strength, directness and a real sense of purpose which ripped them apart. It clould have been 10 in the end.

Highlights of the game was obviously, the Johnson goal and all the emotional stuff that went with it and Vladi Weiss's little cameo at the end. Have to say, Vladi looked to have more tricks in the bag than Robi, but with a lot more pace, although I do accept we were playing a Championship side who by that time were well beaten and feeling tired etc.

All in all, good night out and glad I made the effort to go.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 am

Good crowd,good game,good seeing the fringe being combed,Santa goal,Johnno goal,Miami cameo,Lescott seeming more solid,Vinny Full game,all good.
Biggest thing though was Benjani getting a run out.
Not keen on sitting down for games but hey thats the way it goes in the Kippax.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby colonel_muck » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 pm

miami lol
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby dikdik » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Was a bit doubtful about my 200 miles round trip to COMS from of all places.... Scunthorpe. But boy was I glad I went. After the joy of Superman's goal the despair of the equalizer and the usual fingernail stuff until Santa's exquisite little header from Zab's cross the city of old, the behemoth, the giant of football clubs, finally arose majestically from the field of play.

The most interesting thing for me was the delayed exit of the city players after the interval. I think for once MH must have been earning his corn! (I still remember him as the Blackburn manager when they were playing against us. He was forever on the touchline, and getting in my eyeline, and annoying the hell out of me. However at city? This was something I haven't noticed of late. That is until last night.

They were a different proposition in the second half. They were hungry. It's the only word for it.
Tevez ran his socks off and once again forced errors on Scunthorpe's part which gave us good position up the pitch. Lescott atoned for his dreadfull mistake in the first half with a bullet header from SWP's cross and everyone was in fine voice from then on in. Just before the prodigal son Johnson came on Tevez pushed home a cross from the mercurial Miami. (What a player... gave me goose bumps...)
Of course the icing on the cake was going to happen
Johnson stuck the fifth in from a mile out. Or so it seemed at the time. I was too delriously excited to be objective.
At five goals and with five minutes to go I began to relax. I kept telling myself we could win this match.
And lo and behold.
Seriously guys. This was good stuff.
We have now got the quality in depth. It's up to the manager to get the blend right.
Once again I have hope.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum