Hughes Hails Cruz & Johnson

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hughes Hails Cruz & Johnson

Postby Fish111 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 am

Mark Hughes hailed the depth of his squad after a whole host of star names came out of the shadows to help fire the Blues into the last eight of the Carling Cup.
Roque Santa Cruz, Michael Johnson, Sylvinho, Vincent Kompany and Vladimir Weiss all produced eye-catching performances as City swept aside an outclassed Scunthorpe.

Santa Cruz and Johnson were on the score sheet as City fired a nap hand on a night when they were, at times, irresistible.

“There were lots of positives to come out of the game tonight when we played with the necessary intensity and tempo that made it difficult for Scunthorpe,” declared the manager.

“We put on plenty of pressure and in the end they were not able to cope with it and we ran out comfortable winners.

“We were determined to finish the tie off and not allow a repeat of Sunday’s match against Fulham. I thought in the second half in particular we were excellent in all departments.

“Roque got a start and a goal as well. I thought his general play was outstanding. He allowed players to flourish around him. I was pleased for him because I think he showed everybody what he is capable of.
People could see his qualities and he will only get better. It is always important for strikers to get off the mark as soon as possible.

“In addition to that Michael has come on and scored an outstanding goal as well and we are delighted with that because for long periods while he was out it was a worry whether or not he could get back to the level of the first team. Now we understand the problem that he had and hopefully he will be able to stay fit and well. It is like having a multi-million pound player back in the team.

Hughes will now look forward to the quarter final draw on Saturday lunchtime which sees six of the new ‘Magnificent Seven’ go into the hat.

Then it is off to Birmingham to continue the assault on the Premier League’s upper reaches. Hughes admits that the win over Scunthorpe has given him an few extra selection dilemmas.

“Roque and others have given me food or thought,” elaborated the boss.

“That is why we brought so many good players to the club. A strong squad and competition drives a team forward. We are improving the standard and the depth.

“Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor, who had a back spasm, should be back for the trip to Birmingham. Wayne Bridge has a little bit of an issue with his knee but in terms of the weekend should be ok.

“Touch wood I should have almost a full length squad to choose from. It was good that we could also get a rest into Craig Bellamy and give Carlos Tevez and Gareth Barry a rest.”

It's great to see both RSC & Jonno back and scoring, i think you'll all agree.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Re: Hughes Hails Cruz & Johnson

Postby ant london » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 am

Tell you what, I didn't actually realise that Johnno was that tall....

ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Vhero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 am

Johnnos goal was a cracker though last night couldn't believe it went in at first I was like "No way he just did that!" Great goal and hopefully the first of many to come :). Cruz did good last night I don't think he deserved MOTM but meh.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby john68 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:42 am

I think there were several players I'd put ahead of RSC as MOM last night.
A lot of Weiss's crosses were superb but wasted as nobody was steaming in to take advantage of them. I still think he should have started the game.
Johnson will get better when he gets up to speed and some of his touches, as well as his goal were brilliant.
I thought it was a good solid proffessional performance...bring on the next round.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Vhero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 pm

john68 wrote:I think there were several players I'd put ahead of RSC as MOM last night.
A lot of Weiss's crosses were superb but wasted as nobody was steaming in to take advantage of them. I still think he should have started the game.
Johnson will get better when he gets up to speed and some of his touches, as well as his goal were brilliant.
I thought it was a good solid proffessional performance...bring on the next round.

What was your views on SWP last night John? I dunno if it was just not his night or he was trying to hard he always did great runs just couldn't finish any of them all night.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john68 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:12 pm

If it was anyone else, I would say he had a decent game. Some decent runs and a lot of effort but lacking with some of his fional balls. Because it's SWP, you know he can do so much more.
My feelings are that from a position where he was always a 1st team starter, he now has to look over his shoulder and his place could be in danger.
We have so many options and Weiss was much more effective.
There is a spark missing from the little feller.
...but it's all about opinions eh!
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Vhero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:17 pm

john68 wrote:If it was anyone else, I would say he had a decent game. Some decent runs and a lot of effort but lacking with some of his fional balls. Because it's SWP, you know he can do so much more.
My feelings are that from a position where he was always a 1st team starter, he now has to look over his shoulder and his place could be in danger.
We have so many options and Weiss was much more effective.
There is a spark missing from the little feller.
...but it's all about opinions eh!

Agreed mate he is the man of missed opportunitys I think he needs to learn to pass more to be a more effective player than always go for glory.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john68 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:28 pm

I think that with someone like SWP, it is easy to see the special stuff he does and miss it when he fails. What isn't so noticeable with him is the hard work he still does off the ball. He puts in a lot of hard graft that is quietly effective but goes unnoticed.
His final ball and his shooting accuracy need work but again, they are in areas of the field people see.

Weiss was more effective last night and is pressing for that 1st team start. Most of Weiss's work remind me of the SWP of old but they are tricky and take the eye.
john68

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:58 pm

john68 wrote:I think there were several players I'd put ahead of RSC as MOM last night.

I think they got bored after the 10th time he had an opportunity to pass and just went for goal instead. Very talented player, but he needs to get a better understanding of where his team mates are and when to pass to them. That will come with time (or following a slap from RSC/Bellers/Benjani etc)

He was also suffering a bit of early tranny syndrome - he'd beat the fullback, but then check back inside and beat him again. The forwards have no idea when he's about to cross it, so can't time their runs. Great for the crowd, providing we're winning, but he needs to be a bit more direct. With the talent he's got to learn from in terms of forwards and other wingers (Petrov, SWP), he should become a great player
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john68 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:

I think they got bored after the 10th time he had an opportunity to pass and just went for goal instead. Very talented player, but he needs to get a better understanding of where his team mates are and when to pass to them. That will come with time (or following a slap from RSC/Bellers/Benjani etc)

He was also suffering a bit of early tranny syndrome - he'd beat the fullback, but then check back inside and beat him again. The forwards have no idea when he's about to cross it, so can't time their runs. Great for the crowd, providing we're winning, but he needs to be a bit more direct. With the talent he's got to learn from in terms of forwards and other wingers (Petrov, SWP), he should become a great player

I think that's a fair point.
john68

Postby Twobob » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Just a word on Jonno - Physically he's looking so much more leaner than when he did a month or two ago ... DH mentions him a few times in training but he must really be putting the extra hours in getting the weight off!

More tributes on the OS too for him:
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/20 ... e-tributes

Thank god the club stuck by him - some of us (myself included) believed some of the bull that was being spouted about him - if he keeps up this improvment he'll be starting in the Prem for us and Pushing for a place...
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Dameerto » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:14 pm

He can put on another ten stone for all I care if he just spends all game on the edge of their box rifling in goals like his one from last night. I could watch it on loop for the next few hours.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby sky_blue_stew » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:18 pm

It was very nice indeed, but I'm also really pleased RSC played well. Scunthorpe obviously aren't the greatest test in the world, but RSC is going to need to be in form for when Ade goes off to the African nations, so if he can feel comfortable in his form for the course of the season then all the better.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Florida Blue » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:46 pm

To anyone how did Berti, err I mean Sylvinho look? Will he be able to play at the top level if the need arises?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby paulh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:51 pm

i was over the moon for johnson must have been tough watching all new faces arrive without having chance to compete against them for places and happy for santa smashing a debut
paulh
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: gareth barry

Postby 13021J » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:11 pm

sky_blue_stew wrote:It was very nice indeed, but I'm also really pleased RSC played well. Scunthorpe obviously aren't the greatest test in the world, but RSC is going to need to be in form for when Ade goes off to the African nations, so if he can feel comfortable in his form for the course of the season then all the better.

Have Togo definitely qualified for the Afican Nations? I think they may have missed out? Anyone know for sure? Fingers crossed they haven't!!
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby mr_nool » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:24 pm

13021J wrote:
sky_blue_stew wrote:It was very nice indeed, but I'm also really pleased RSC played well. Scunthorpe obviously aren't the greatest test in the world, but RSC is going to need to be in form for when Ade goes off to the African nations, so if he can feel comfortable in his form for the course of the season then all the better.

Have Togo definitely qualified for the Afican Nations? I think they may have missed out? Anyone know for sure? Fingers crossed they haven't!!

Teams qualified according to Wiki:

Angola
Ghana
Côte d'Ivoire
Tunisia
Algeria
Egypt
Cameroon
Gabon
Nigeria
Mali
Benin
Burkina Faso

Looks like we'll "only" be missing Toure.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby ant london » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Good on you Psycho

STUART PEARCE reckons the sky's the limit for Manchester City comeback king Michael Johnson.

Last month the midfielder, 21, returned to action after more than a year out with an abdominal problem.

And he scored his first goal since overcoming his injury hell in the 5-1 thrashing of Scunthorpe last night.

Former City boss Pearce, who gave Johnson his debut in 2006, has backed him to return to top form.

The England Under-21 coach said: "He's an outstanding player and it's fantastic to see him back.

"Psychologically, just for him to be in the first team again will be a big lift.

"I know he has the ability to go a long, long way in the game and the sky's the limit for him.

"If he gets back to the level that I know he's capable of and he is getting in City's first team, then he'll certainly be in my U-21s squad."
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby sky_blue_stew » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm

mr_nool wrote:
13021J wrote:

Teams qualified according to Wiki:

Angola
Ghana
Côte d'Ivoire
Tunisia
Algeria
Egypt
Cameroon
Gabon
Nigeria
Mali
Benin
Burkina Faso

Looks like we'll "only" be missing Toure.

Nice! I hadn't even considered the possibility of Togo not qualifying. Well, this helps our league campaign no end. Although all the more reason for Lescott to pull his socks up.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby 13021J » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:50 pm

If Togo havnet qualified that is top news for us!

Chelski will be suffering during dec/jan
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum