Michael Johnson - Setting the record straight

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Michael Johnson - Setting the record straight

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Had a very interesting conversation this morning with a client who knows both Michael and his family very well. According to some on here over the last 12 months, it has been suggested that MJ was on the piss, damaging his prospects for recovery and in particular taking the piss out of the club having been given a nice big new contract.

The specific point that my customer made was that his dad has been bailing him out financially over the last year, as his reported £38k/week contract is not quite what the media would have you believe, and the vast majority of the contract is pay as you play.

Kind of shows you that the club are not quite as naive as some would have you believe when it comes to contracts.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: Michael Johnson - Setting the record straight

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Bailing him out? Even if the majority is pay as you play, I'm sure it will be very difficult to get into financial trouble on his salary
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Bailing him out? Even if the majority is pay as you play, I'm sure it will be very difficult to get into financial trouble on his salary

Depends what sort of financial commitments you take on when you get your big contract though doesnt it? As an 18 year old lad, he first thing I would do on getting a tasty contract would be to get mortgaged upto my eyeballs and have several very nice motors lying around the gravel driveway. Footballers do use credit - especially the younger ones.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Burt » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:10 pm

I wasn't aware that his dad had a few quid. What does he do for a living?
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Burt wrote:I wasn't aware that his dad had a few quid. What does he do for a living?

Car sales
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Crossie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:23 am

Should have sold his fucking mansion and cars then shouldnt he?

Sorry but I have 0 sympathy. Yea yea he had terrible injuries and a year + of hell. But wouldnt any normal person , think "mmmmmm my contract is mostly pay as a play -------- WHAT IF I GET INJURED!??!?!!?!?!"

Come on ffs we are talking 30k-40 A WEEK, not a month, not a year, a week when playing.

VERY ROUGHLY, 37 games on 30k a week (total guess at average wage plus some apps not on newer contract.) We are talking about £1,000,000.

What kind of person can throw away A MILLION POUNDS in 12 months ???????????? KNOWING THAT THEY WEREN'T GOING TO BE PLAYING FOR A LONG LONG TIME.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:46 am

Crossie wrote:Should have sold his fucking mansion and cars then shouldnt he?

Sorry but I have 0 sympathy. Yea yea he had terrible injuries and a year + of hell. But wouldnt any normal person , think "mmmmmm my contract is mostly pay as a play -------- WHAT IF I GET INJURED!??!?!!?!?!"

Come on ffs we are talking 30k-40 A WEEK, not a month, not a year, a week when playing.

VERY ROUGHLY, 37 games on 30k a week (total guess at average wage plus some apps not on newer contract.) We are talking about £1,000,000.

What kind of person can throw away A MILLION POUNDS in 12 months ???????????? KNOWING THAT THEY WEREN'T GOING TO BE PLAYING FOR A LONG LONG TIME.

That amount of money will certainly buy a lot of beer. I wonder how he hides his binge drinking from everyone?

Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby stockportblue » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:02 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Burt wrote:I wasn't aware that his dad had a few quid. What does he do for a living?

Car sales

Isnt he also a part-time Coerver coach?I know a few years back he worke dpart-time for City.
stockportblue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: stephen ireland

Postby kinkylola » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Crossie wrote:Should have sold his fucking mansion and cars then shouldnt he?

I think the OP was talking about how at the time alot of fans were upset that MJ was given a new contract despite him being injured and people being very doubtful about his ability to overcome said injuries. He was stating that the club have actually gotten a good deal and moved MJ onto more of an as you play deal that could be worth up to 30k p/w if he's doing everything right. I think it's good for the club and for MJ, as he needs supoprt form the club medically and emotionally if he's to overcome this, which I hope he does. That's how I read it atleast.

But as for your lack of sympathy ... it's petty and small. He's a human being, just happens to be that he has the talent to earn such a huge wage. Maybe he's been irresponsible with it, but I think we are seeing the beginning of a new, mroe respsonible MJ, and that's good for the club and for him. So cheer up.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby saulman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:59 pm

I have a mate at work who say he regularly sees MJ not just pissed but absolutely slaughtered on a regular basis.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby rick1894citizen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Can't see his dad bailing him out as they lived on the whimpy estate so can't see him having a few 100 grand lying around, but either way i really hope Johno stays fit and does well for us as he's fucking immense imo.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Return to The Maine Football forum