Probability

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Probability

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 pm

I think the likelyhood is that our team will improve in the upcoming weeks. That's not a positive spin, that's the law of averages that a newly assembled team will take time to become a dominant force. I think we had a pretty lucky start because at no point did I think we looked like a team, yet we picked up the results. Someone else mentioned it, but had these draws happened at the beginning of the season we'd be happy (or happier) if we were now winning and in the same situation in the league - having fourth place in our own hands going into the xmas run...

Anyway, we need to click now - I thought having come from 2 nil down yesterday and winning 3-2 that we had finally become a team. I think had we won the game in the end it would have set us up perfectly for the liverpool match, because I've watched the top four come back against teams again and again and its only this season I've seen city do it on a number of occasions. It takes spirit... we definitely have that. It takes a great attacking threat... we definitely have that. It takes a stern defence and obviously that's where we're falling short.

If we fix this defence, we will finish top four absolutely no doubt about it.
Original Dub

Re: Probability

Postby Socrates » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:18 pm

The real shame about yesterday is that Hughes didn't get any reward for a much braver team selection. I fear that his idea of sorting out the defence will just be a return to the largely unsuccessful overprotection of them at the expense of our creative play. Please, please, please let him have the courage to keep fielding positive teams and to actually SORT the defence rather than just papering over the cracks.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Sad to say, that one lesson from yesterday is that unless the back four sort themslelves out then we'll have to play with two holding mid-fielders. And that rules out starting more adventurously. A bit of a downward spiral really.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Brian Hortons Baby » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:04 pm

i think maybe take bridge out for a game or two and stick Sylvinho in . i think bridge is in a comfort zone where he is guaranteed games. or slot Lescott to LB and move Kompany into CB
yeah we have new players but they should of gelled together by now we need to stop the stupid goals , work on attacking corners and then were sorted !!
Brian Hortons Baby
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ged Weikens

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Original Dub wrote:I think the likelyhood is that our team will improve in the upcoming weeks. That's not a positive spin, that's the law of averages that a newly assembled team will take time to become a dominant force. I think we had a pretty lucky start because at no point did I think we looked like a team, yet we picked up the results. Someone else mentioned it, but had these draws happened at the beginning of the season we'd be happy (or happier) if we were now winning and in the same situation in the league - having fourth place in our own hands going into the xmas run...

Anyway, we need to click now - I thought having come from 2 nil down yesterday and winning 3-2 that we had finally become a team. I think had we won the game in the end it would have set us up perfectly for the liverpool match, because I've watched the top four come back against teams again and again and its only this season I've seen city do it on a number of occasions. It takes spirit... we definitely have that. It takes a great attacking threat... we definitely have that. It takes a stern defence and obviously that's where we're falling short.

But we said that this newly assembled team will take time to gel last season, give it more time, all the excuses in the world when results started to dry up, and look where that ended up come xmas. Does it not feel like groundhog day? We may have an upgraded squad on last year which means that last years defeats are now draws, but we still have the same problems of basic organisation, commitment, players out of position

I would like to think something will click, but Hughes has previous. From what I have seen most of "his" players didnt give a fuck in some recent games any more than the old crop of players did at Wigan or Bolton last year - and that was the slim hope I was holding onto - that he would bring in players who would play out of their skins for him. Aside from Bellamy, who has shown that spirit.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:05 pm

Original Dub wrote:I think the likelyhood is that our team will improve in the upcoming weeks. That's not a positive spin, that's the law of averages that a newly assembled team will take time to become a dominant force. I think we had a pretty lucky start because at no point did I think we looked like a team, yet we picked up the results. Someone else mentioned it, but had these draws happened at the beginning of the season we'd be happy (or happier) if we were now winning and in the same situation in the league - having fourth place in our own hands going into the xmas run...

How do you come to that conclusion ?

There is nothing to substantiate that statement except your own gut instinct, if you look at the supporting evidence then the likelihood is the contrary to what your saying.

Just face the facts that Hughes is a numpty and your faith is misguided.

Eventually we will all be singing from the same hym sheet on here trust me, its just taking a little bit longer for the penny to finally drop with some.
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:Sad to say, that one lesson from yesterday is that unless the back four sort themslelves out then we'll have to play with two holding mid-fielders. And that rules out starting more adventurously. A bit of a downward spiral really.

Imo not really.
We could send out there a team of:
Given
Back four (not up to me to send out the best 4 defenders)
de Jong - Barry (or Kompany)
Ireland
Tevez/SWP - Ade - Robson/Bellend

When the oppo are in possession, Stevie, Tevez/SWP and Robson (yeah right)/Bellend would drop to make it 4-5-1:
Given
Back four
T/S - de Jong - Ireland - Barry - R/B
Ade.

Would give us bite in midfield AND attacking minded players (even if Barry was told to sit back). Not to mention we would finally have someone 'In the hole' in Stevie.

Not that defensive is it?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby dazby » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:09 am

I don't think we will ever win a game ever again. Ever.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Bluez » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:31 am

Brian Hortons Baby wrote:i think maybe take bridge out for a game or two and stick Sylvinho in . i think bridge is in a comfort zone where he is guaranteed games. or slot Lescott to LB and move Kompany into CB
yeah we have new players but they should of gelled together by now we need to stop the stupid goals , work on attacking corners and then were sorted !!

Or maybe try a whole game where Bridge is not allowed to cross the halfway line. We should have enough attacking talent without him supporting, right now preventing goals would help us more
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:05 pm

CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:

How do you come to that conclusion ?

There is nothing to substantiate that statement except your own gut instinct, if you look at the supporting evidence then the likelihood is the contrary to what your saying.

Just face the facts that Hughes is a numpty and your faith is misguided.

Eventually we will all be singing from the same hym sheet on here trust me, its just taking a little bit longer for the penny to finally drop with some.

My 'gut instinct'?

No, if you talk to any football fan who's opinion you hold in high regard they'll tell you its more likely that a new, expensively assembled team full of top quality will improve as they get to know each other.

The bookies will probably tell you its more likely we'll challenge top four than finish mid table.

Its because its more probable or likely that we will improve. I think it helps your case against hughes to try and tell yourself we will get worse and worse, as illustrated in the numerous negative threads you start, but deep down you know what is more likely.

Onwards and upwards - its a new team with a record signing out for the last 9 games and a star striker that's missed four of those games. Liverpool crumbled when their two best players were missing for only a handful of games between them.

Obviously we have defensive frailties, but I think its easier to fix a defence than sack a manager and I'm sure only a fucking idiot would disagree with the fact that if our defence was half as good as it has been, we'd be challenging Chelsea right now for top spot.

The dramatic changes you want and call for on a day to day basis would put us backwards, not forwards. A whole new management team that will want all new players etc? Or fix the defence... if it can't be fixed in the next few weeks to a top level, then fix it in January and we'll continue to challenge for top four right to the end.
Original Dub

Postby dazby » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:46 am

Thank you Leslie for making the board frustrating again. Yay!!!!
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby dazby » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:47 am

I have to say I much prefer it when we are winning and no one is posting.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Return to The Maine Football forum