Angel di Maria at £27million in january or the summer

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Angel di Maria at £27million in january or the summer

Postby Blueboylewis » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:49 pm

From the Sunday Times (warning - more boring Robinho speculation at the end of the article)

City open talks with Benfica over £27m Angel di Maria

MANCHESTER CITY have opened talks with Benfica over the availability of the Portuguese club’s much-coveted winger Angel di Maria. The left-sided Argentine international is seen as a direct replacement for Robinho, who has been assiduously courted by Barcelona and is eager to return to Spanish football whenever City approve a transfer.

Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira met City officials in Liverpool on Thursday before his club’s Europa League victory over Everton. Though Benfica will resist selling Di Maria during a season in which they hold a realistic chance of regaining the Portuguese title for the first time in five years, they will encourage suitors in the summer. Di Maria, whose transfer rights are 20% owned by a third-party investment fund, is valued by the club at more than £27m. At 21, the player has established himself in Argentina’s World Cup squad, having scored an audacious winning goal in the final of the 2008 Olympic tournament.

His admirers in England include Chelsea sporting director Frank Arnesen, who has been cleared to recruit an attacking midfielder in January after the Court of Arbitration for Sport temporarily lifted the club’s ban on transfers. Chelsea are also considering bidding for Slovakia international Marek Hamsik of Napoli and Bosnia playmaker Miralem Pjanic, who has impressed in this season's Champions League.

Though City plan to take a less aggressive approach to recruitment than in the previous three transfer windows, they retain the finances to outbid every other Premier League club, with the pressure likely to build as they struggle to keep pace in the title race. They were held to a 3-3 draw at home by Burnley yesterday, their fifth Premier League draw in a row. After spending approaching £200m on transfers since Sheikh Mansour’s takeover, the club’s hierarchy believe the squad have been improved to such a degree that only a few, high-quality acquisitions need to be added. Club officials say they are highly unlikely to sign more than one player in January, and then only if the asking price is realistic. Mark Hughes, the manager, has meanwhile overseen a massive expansion of the club’s scouting network to inform the recruitment process.

Though Robinho remains City’s record signing, the forward’s position at the club has been contentious almost ever since his £32.5m purchase from Real Madrid. Hughes fell out with Robinho’s compatriot and close friend Elano, complicating his working relationship with both Brazilians. Barcelona then failed with an attempt to take the attacker back to La Liga in August, though they have maintained their interest in the 25-year-old and will again try to sign him in January.

Robinho wants to join Barca as soon as possible but last week he was not optimistic that City’s board would agree to him leaving Eastlands. City say they have had no recent conversations with the Catalan club over transfer and have not granted them permission to speak to the player.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Angel di Maria at £27million in january or the summer

Postby Blueboylewis » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Dont know much about this guy but a couple of mates of mine have said that he is a quality player and would fit in well at city!!
I would have thought IF Robinho was to go, The direct replacement that i would go for would be Ribery. He has fallen out of love with Bayern and Bayern want at least 60 Million for him!! I dont know if he would want to come to us but only time will tell. I reckon if we are in top 4 come January. We might just have a chance of buying higher quality players!

But why not have Robinho and Ribery in the same team!
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mike J » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:25 pm

very good player indeed this guy. infact benfica have a few very good players. like the look of cardozo as well. his goal record is awesome.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sky_blue_stew » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 pm

I'd rather take Angel di Maria than Ribery on present form, although apparently Bayern are ready to offload for £30m. From what I've heard in the Champions League recently di Maria has been phenomenal, so certainly an exciting prospect.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Isn't he the chap who was quoted last week as being valued at £12M before playing in the Everton match for Benfica?

Mind you...it wouldn't be the first time that we've paid well over the odds for player which has participated in games involving Everton would it? :)
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:24 pm

Isn't he the chap who was quoted last week as being valued at £12M before playing in the Everton match for Benfica?

Mind you...it wouldn't be the first time that we've paid well over the odds for player which has participated in games involving Everton would it? :)
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:07 pm

Would be a quality signing but I still say Robson should only be loaned out at most a replacement shouldn't be on the cards.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Very technical player but runs into crowded areas a lot and then in the end falls over or loses the ball cos he wants to beat the same player 17 times
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:51 am

First priority will be 2 full backs. And as Lahm (among others) has fallen out with Van Gaal again I would be more inclined to follow that and any full back rumours. Our desperate need has been reinforced since the '2 full backs' rumour came out a few weeks ago.

Whatever Les' criticism of Hansen and his refusal to single out single players himself, you can bet Bridge and Richards have had him seething this season with the defending.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Very technical player but runs into crowded areas a lot and then in the end falls over or loses the ball cos he wants to beat the same player 17 times

Sounds like Shauny
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum