Chelsea Have Had 6 Managers In 5 years

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Chelsea Have Had 6 Managers In 5 years

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Chelsea have been through 6 managers in the last 5 years. Not including Wilkins stats it would show 100% even though he was manager for only a couple of weeks.

Win Success

Jose Mourinho, 2004 - 2007. 67%
Avram Grant 2007 - 2008 67%
Luis Felipe Scolari 2008 -2009 56%
Guus Hiddink 2009 - 2009 73%
Carlo Ancelotti 2009 – “ “ 78%

A few interesting points, looking at those stats it suggests that Scolari had the worst win success rate at 56%,yet that still beats any season Hughes has had in his career as manager quite comfortably by nearly 10% and Scolari got the sack.

After Sacking Scolari and appointing Guus Hiddink as manager the Win percentage climbed an extra 17%, and after appointing Carlo Ancelotti it has climbed even further.

Remember the improvement in results has come with virtually the exact same squad of players.

So it suggests that Chelsea have got it spot on when sacking managers and not settling for mediocrity, they were right to conclude their present squad of players were under achieving, because the results support that.

I actually believe we have an excellent squad of players one of the best in the Premiership who are under achieving,.

I honestly believe a quality manager could get this side firing on all cylinders within a couple of weeks.

There would be no shortrage of applicants to work with such a plethora of talent.

Sacking clueless managers sooner rather than later is the way to go.
Last edited by CITYTILLIDIE11 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Re: Chelsea Have Had 6 Managers In 5 years

Postby Chinners » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:00 pm

Subtle ...
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:00 pm

CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:

So it suggests that Chelsea have got it spot on when sacking managers and not settling for mediocrity, they were right to conclude their present squad of players were under achieving, because the results support that.

I think that is a fair point, and an approach which a number on here have advocated for over 12 months now. However at this stage 11 games into the season regardless how bad the performances, the reality is that this board will not make that decision until we have become separated from the group of teams we aspire to compete against. I think if and when we end up say 10 points behind 4th place is when a board will most likely start to ask serious questions.

As much as I would like to see Hughes go asap, I expect that 10 point gap scenario will not happen this side of xmas as we still have a game in hand and everyone seems to be beating everyone else, and a clear top 3 have now formed leaving a champions league spot up for grabs for any team who can put a decent run together. If we are still in touch come January, we should probably see the season out with him as I dont think we would have much to gain by sacking him.

Thats about as rational and moderate as I can be on the subject at the moment, as I am hoping we dont have the same sort of decline we did last season at this time of year. If we do, then I think we will be waving goodbye to Les before the next window opens.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:09 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:

I think that is a fair point, and an approach which a number on here have advocated for over 12 months now. However at this stage 11 games into the season regardless how bad the performances, the reality is that this board will not make that decision until we have become separated from the group of teams we aspire to compete against. I think if and when we end up say 10 points behind 4th place is when a board will most likely start to ask serious questions.

As much as I would like to see Hughes go asap, I expect that 10 point gap scenario will not happen this side of xmas as we still have a game in hand and everyone seems to be beating everyone else, and a clear top 3 have now formed leaving a champions league spot up for grabs for any team who can put a decent run together. If we are still in touch come January, we should probably see the season out with him as I dont think we would have much to gain by sacking him.

Thats about as rational and moderate as I can be on the subject at the moment, as I am hoping we dont have the same sort of decline we did last season at this time of year. If we do, then I think we will be waving goodbye to Les before the next window opens.
Good post that mate.

I agree with all you say.

The only way I see something drastic happening is if we literally implode.
CITYTILLIDIE11
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby edge275 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 pm

CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:Chelsea have been through 6 managers in the last 5 years. Not including Wilkins stats it would show 100% even though he was manager for only a couple of weeks.

Win Success

A few interesting points, looking at those stats it suggests that Scolari had the worst win success rate at 56%,yet that still beats any season Hughes has had in his career as manager quite comfortably by nearly 10% and Scolari got the sack.

After Sacking Scolari and appointing Guus Hiddink as manager the Win percentage climbed an extra 17%, and after appointing Carlo Ancelotti it has climbed even further.

Remember the improvement in results has come with virtually the exact same squad of players.

I actually believe we have an excellent squad of players one of the best in the Premiership who are under achieving,.

I honestly believe a quality manager could get this side firing on all cylinders within a couple of weeks.

There would be no shortrage of applicants to work with such a plethora of talent.

I wouldn't mind Scolari to manage City to be honest.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 am

CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:Chelsea have been through 6 managers in the last 5 years. Not including Wilkins stats it would show 100% even though he was manager for only a couple of weeks.

Win Success

EXCELLENT POST, couldn't agree more with all them points and I just hope that Kool Khaldoon and HRH Sheikh Mansour, are aware for when their Private Jet lands in Abu Dhabi with a clueless manager on board and a string of Internationals.
Robinho_Is_GOD
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Alex Sapphire » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 am

Win Success

the improvement in results has come with virtually the exact same squad of players.

There's another possibility...the squad is gelling more every year. They have become a better team with TIME.
What I take from this is we are blessed with pragmatic, patient owners, not some knob who thinks he can piss on the reputation of some of the world's most successful managers.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Bluez » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:26 am

Win Success

So Scolari's win rate with Chelseas squad is comparable to Hughes with Blackburns because....
Following that Logic Scolari could take over at Blackburn, get the same win rate and lead them to champions league football.
Last season there was a massive change on and off the pitch, this season hasn't actually finished yet.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:41 am

Chelsea and other big teams around the globe can afford to change their manager without much impact on the [strike]club[/strike]business.

The infrastructure and organisational behaviour of these [strike]clubs[/strike] businesses is at such a mature state that everything is in position for the final piece of the jigsaw to be added.

City are going through the biggest and quickest organisational and cultural change programme a business can do. This takes time (I'm talking 24 months) to get the behind the scenes in order. We are now just over 15 months into this change period.

Anyone who has any mates at City will already know that the majority of management staff who have been long serving members have been given their P45's and new staff have come in to give the club a new culture.

Only once all this has bedded in can we even think about changing the first team manager that regularly and still remain successful.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:28 pm

prior to Mourinho, chelsea were runners up in 2003/04 season, won the fa cup in 2000 and got to the final in 2002. They already had a well established backbone of Terry and Lampard plus many top class players in a squad full of superstars that was not thrown together in 1 season.

If you go back a couple more years to 98, they won shit loads more, they were already building up to what they are now. Pot noodle stuff being written on here again, its boring now. Change the record.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Thread success

CITYTILLIDIE11 - 0%
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:

Win Success

EXCELLENT POST, couldn't agree more with all them points and I just hope that Kool Khaldoon and HRH Sheikh Mansour, are aware for when their Private Jet lands in Abu Dhabi with a clueless manager on board and a string of Internationals.

Hughes isn't going anywhere, you really should try to relax... every second day you tell us he's on his way, but he isn't. You'll do yourself an injury getting all worked up so often.

As for the topic - you're saying that the manager of a club that has an average league position of SECOND had a better win ratio than hughes at Blackburn?

Wow. That's mad. Thanks for that.
Original Dub

Return to The Maine Football forum