5 Draws or 2 Wins and 3 Defeats?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

5 Draws or 2 Wins and 3 Defeats?

Postby AlpsMaster » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 am

Which would you rather have had?

Obviously we'd have preferred to win them all but if the choice was just from 5 Draws or 2 Wins and 3 Defeats (in any order) which would you take?

The 2 wins would have given us an extra point of course (and points make prizes), but there is definitely something important about being hard to beat and taking points off other teams in the mix.

Apart from being robbed at the Swamp which I refuse to count, then we are actually on one of the longest unbeaten runs I can remember for a long time.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Re: 5 Draws or 2 Wins and 3 Defeats?

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 am

that is a very difficult one as it depends on the sequence, if we had won the two games first and lost the last 3 before the liverpool game then it would be really bad. Having only lost once all season and that being in the 197th minute at the swamp goes a little towards placating the situation. However, 6 points or 5? I would take 6 please, but would the 3 defeats be more psychologically damaging? We know Edge, slim, nqdp and co would have burst a blood vessel for sure ;-)
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Alex Sapphire » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:44 am

you're right. Plus if you lose you're gifting 3 points to a team that you will probably be competing with all season (like last year Wigan Fulham Villa all took 3 off us in these games) by drawing we are 3 pts better off against all of them than last year.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 am

You often hear managers say winning is a habit, losing is a habit.

The pyschological value of been the only club to have lost one game this season cannot be underestimated. It will give the players more confidence than having lost 4 games in the same period.

I also enjoy the fact that when we do concede a goal I do not automatically think "that's game over" like I have done for many season's before.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:16 am

We were playing:

Villa (a ground where we have only failed to win twice in last 11 games!!)
Wigan
Fulham
Birmingham
Burnley

All that with a side we are led to believe are challengers for a top 6 and maybe top 4 place......why should we be losing 3 games to that standard of opposition??....none of the established 4 do, nor do the likes of Spuds (now and when under Jol) or Villa.

If we are serious about the quality of our squad and believe them to be good enough as they have shown, we should have been taking the last 4 sides to the cleaners and in style that the top 4 sides will do to them and also better standards of opposition this season.

Eventually we will have a tough run of games like what Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and the scum have had so far, and if we cannot beat that rubbish quintet we have played last 5 games, then forget it when we come up against the likes of Everton, Spurs or even Stoke, we should have been looking to win 4 of them games at the very least, instead we were fortunate to get 5 points from them.......I bet the established 4 are bricking it ah?....

in response to your question though we would have had more points with 2 wins and 3 defeats, but even that wouldn't have been good enough........both are crap, and after a spell of 17 months in charge, we should see a difference between us now and the City which he took over, and fact is, the only difference is playing staff, if I HAD £250m to spend on players, I would get a squad together of better players than I started with......he just cannot manage and coach them, and yet that is the sign on his door.....he should be removed as SNLR
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:you're right. Plus if you lose you're gifting 3 points to a team that you will probably be competing with all season (like last year Wigan Fulham Villa all took 3 off us in these games) by drawing we are 3 pts better off against all of them than last year.

very good point.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:54 am

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:We were playing:

Wigan
Fulham
Birmingham
Burnley

All that with a side we are led to believe are challengers for a top 6 and maybe top 4 place......why should we be losing 3 games to that standard of opposition??....none of the established 4 do, nor do the likes of Spuds (now and when under Jol) or Villa.

If we are serious about the quality of our squad and believe them to be good enough as they have shown, we should have been taking the last 4 sides to the cleaners and in style that the top 4 sides will do to them and also better standards of opposition this season.

Eventually we will have a tough run of games like what Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and the scum have had so far, and if we cannot beat that rubbish quintet we have played last 5 games, then forget it when we come up against the likes of Everton, Spurs or even Stoke, we should have been looking to win 4 of them games at the very least, instead we were fortunate to get 5 points from them.......I bet the established 4 are bricking it ah?....

in response to your question though we would have had more points with 2 wins and 3 defeats, but even that wouldn't have been good enough........both are crap, and after a spell of 17 months in charge, we should see a difference between us now and the City which he took over, and fact is, the only difference is playing staff, if I HAD £250m to spend on players, I would get a squad together of better players than I started with......he just cannot manage and coach them, and yet that is the sign on his door.....he should be removed as SNLR

hmmm, you keep quoting the top 4 sides throughout your post and slate the 5 drawn teams as "rubbish", Please tell me who is top of the league? They have lost 2 games this season 1-2 at Villa park and 1-3 at the DW stadium! ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Wonderwall

Postby simon12 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:58 am

Wigan
Fulham
Birmingham
Burnley

All that with a side we are led to believe are challengers for a top 6 and maybe top 4 place......, nor do thwhy should we be losing 3 games to that standard of opposition??....none of the established 4 doe likes of Spuds (now and when under Jol) or Villa.

Wigan beat Chelsea Burnley beat thr rags I could go on.....
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Wigan
Fulham
Birmingham
Burnley

hmmm, you keep quoting the top 4 sides throughout your post and slate the 5 drawn teams as "rubbish", Please tell me who is top of the league? They have lost 2 games this season 1-2 at Villa park and 1-3 at the DW stadium! ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Yes and where are they positioned and how many points have they got???.....where are we and how many points have we got??....Wigan was a fluke result nothing more, they have won 10 games against better standard of teams than we have played against, due to going for a victory, not settling for a draw.

Chelsea look organised and efficient, playing as a team, led by a man with a winners mindset, we look a shambled mess, strangers who have just met each other 5 minutes previous and led by a man who is as useful as a one-legged trapeeze artist.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby sandman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:37 pm

If the draws are against top 4 teams plus one other away team i'd take them.

If the draws are teams outside the top 4 (as is the case) i'd take 6 points over 5 any day.

I am disappointed at two home draws to teams outside the top 4, away is almost excusable but not reasonable.

As it stands the current form is unacceptable and the fact that there has been no improvement whatsoever over the five weeks since our first draw shows that there is something seriously wrong with the way the team is being run.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Wigan
Fulham
Birmingham
Burnley

Yes and where are they positioned and how many points have they got???.....where are we and how many points have we got??....Wigan was a fluke result nothing more, they have won 10 games against better standard of teams than we have played against, due to going for a victory, not settling for a draw.

Chelsea look organised and efficient, playing as a team, led by a man with a winners mindset, we look a shambled mess, strangers who have just met each other 5 minutes previous and led by a man who is as useful as a one-legged trapeeze artist.

so they are rubbish then and they fluked it against chelsea. No credit to the opposition whatsoever, some things never change
Wonderwall

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:45 pm

AlpsMaster wrote:Which would you rather have had?

Obviously we'd have preferred to win them all but if the choice was just from 5 Draws or 2 Wins and 3 Defeats (in any order) which would you take?

The 2 wins would have given us an extra point of course (and points make prizes), but there is definitely something important about being hard to beat and taking points off other teams in the mix.

Apart from being robbed at the Swamp which I refuse to count, then we are actually on one of the longest unbeaten runs I can remember for a long time.

Its an interesting one, but like you say we were robbed by a referee at the swamp and if we weren't we'd probably be the ONLY unbeaten team in all of the top leagues in the whole of Europe.

That's no mean acheivement.
Original Dub

Return to The Maine Football forum