Youth scouting in France

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Youth scouting in France

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 am

My youngest has been selected to attend a regional trial. He plays for a village team at the moment but he has been noticed and he is having trials tomorrow to play for the Dordogne regional team in france at U13 level (as a comparison, it is probably the equivalent of playing for Greater Manchester). He will be hard pushed to make the team as I have seen some very good players at this level and he will struggle physically as he is a late developer. However, he has a nice touch and an eye for a killer pass, so lets hope he impresses.

Good luck son and if you do make it, I will take all the credit as I coached you from the age of 3! ;-)
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Youth scouting in France

Postby mr_nool » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 am

Wonderwall wrote:My youngest has been selected to attend a regional trial. He plays for a village team at the moment but he has been noticed and he is having trials tomorrow to play for the Dordogne regional team in france at U13 level (as a comparison, it is probably the equivalent of playing for Greater Manchester). He will be hard pushed to make the team as I have seen some very good players at this level and he will struggle physically as he is a late developer. However, he has a nice touch and an eye for a killer pass, so lets hope he impresses.

Good luck son and if you do make it, I will take all the credit as I coached you from the age of 3! ;-)

Wow, congrats WW! You must be one proud father at the moment!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 am

mr_nool wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:My youngest has been selected to attend a regional trial. He plays for a village team at the moment but he has been noticed and he is having trials tomorrow to play for the Dordogne regional team in france at U13 level (as a comparison, it is probably the equivalent of playing for Greater Manchester). He will be hard pushed to make the team as I have seen some very good players at this level and he will struggle physically as he is a late developer. However, he has a nice touch and an eye for a killer pass, so lets hope he impresses.

The lad has done well, but his attitude stinks TBH. He cannot stand losing and is the most competitive person on the planet "BAR NONE". Which sometimes goes against him when things are not going well. He will learn with time and this should be a good experience for him.

The scout came down to watch him in 2 games, his team won both games 2-0 and scored 1 and set the other one up in each game. Right place right time and the scout saw the confident happy kid instead of the evil little shit that lives within...
Wonderwall

Postby Burt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 am

I was very concerned when I saw the title of this thread.

Thank fucl it wasn't about what I thought it might be about!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:50 am

Just in time for you to drag him home and ruin his ambitions to represent his adopted country.
You damn swine.
But well done to the lad and his dad!
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:02 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:Just in time for you to drag him home and ruin his ambitions to represent his adopted country.
You damn swine.
But well done to the lad and his dad!

lol I know! I didnt tell the scout though as I want to see how far he can go
Wonderwall

Postby mr_nool » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 am

Wonderwall wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

The lad has done well, but his attitude stinks TBH. He cannot stand losing and is the most competitive person on the planet "BAR NONE". Which sometimes goes against him when things are not going well. He will learn with time and this should be a good experience for him.

The scout came down to watch him in 2 games, his team won both games 2-0 and scored 1 and set the other one up in each game. Right place right time and the scout saw the confident happy kid instead of the evil little shit that lives within...

I hope he doesn't have a secret account to this site ... He'd be traumatised for life if he read that ;-)
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:07 am

Isn't it more like representing Lancashire? France is fuclin massive!
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 am

mr_nool wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

I hope he doesn't have a secret account to this site ... He'd be traumatised for life if he read that ;-)

He is very aware of the devil within, he just hasn't learnt to control it yet, the mist descends and self control becomes difficult for him. I have taken him off the field of play a couple of times before someone gets hurt and he gets a ban. Once he chills he is all apologetic. It would be quite amusing to watch for the neutral, You can visibly see him lose it.
Wonderwall

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:44 am

Wonderwall wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

He is very aware of the devil within, he just hasn't learnt to control it yet, the mist descends and self control becomes difficult for him. I have taken him off the field of play a couple of times before someone gets hurt and he gets a ban. Once he chills he is all apologetic. It would be quite amusing to watch for the neutral, You can visibly see him lose it.

sounds like you've got a mini wayne rooney on your hands.... ;-)
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Kyle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Congrats WW (and son), this is really exciting news.

On the other hand, can you please do me a favor and if City swoops in for him and you get a fat check or a job at Eastlands, don't tell anyone! I would hate a transfer ban on our hands!
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby dazlebluefrog » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm

nice one mate later in life he'll have a hard choice to make play for england or france ,lol you say he loses his temper ,my lads the same in his u-9 team,what i've done is put him in valence ice hockey team that way he can take his frustration out on the other team
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby Blue in the face » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Good luck to mini WW. It sounds lke you have a good idea how to manage the temper. You must be as proud as punch.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:37 pm

That's great WW. I'm trying to get some rep football over here for some of the lads I coach and it makes me proud as they come on and improve each day, being your lad it must be 10x as sweet.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby dazby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Nice one Bob. Remember, that fire that sends him over the top may also be the fire that gets him playing as well as he can. It could be the difference between him making it and not.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 pm

he went to his trial today and was a little nervous as can be expected. The weather was really crap, raining the whole time and was windy and cold too. Not great for the spectator! Now I know how doug feels LOL!

They started the trials off by giving all the lads a few keepie uppie exercises and warm up routines and after that the real stuff started with specific drills to do, with everything being timed and scored.

1. 2 x Timed sprinting over 20 meters

He is only 4'9" at the moment and is small for his age but he is no slouch and easily held his own in this exercise.

2. Weaving in and out of the sticks with the ball at your feet and doing figure 8's, ending with a shot with the left foot on the first run and the right on the second run. They had two routes set up, one left and one right to ensure they ended up on the correct foot to shoot with.

I have practised this with him this week and he breezed through this with ease and looked like a natural, which was great and a very positive start.

3. A short passing 4 a side game in a 40 x 20 metre area where you have to get to your opponents byline and stop the ball on the line to score a point.

This is where I expected him to shine and really make his mark as passing is his forte. However, he was terrible and seemed to freeze. You were not allowed to coach from the sidelines, but I did as he was all over the place and really didnt seem to get going at all. This drill lasted for 15 minutes and was a shambles for him in all honesty. I took him to one side after the drill to have a chat and try and get his head right (you are not allowed to do this either, but hey, they probably didnt understand me ;-)). A point to note on this exercise was the huge lad on his team. He was taller than me and thought he was better then everyone and he cost the team as he would not pass the ball at all. If I was his coach he would have had several bollockings, he was not a bad player, however, he cost them many points as he refused to pass, mostly when my lad was in space...however, my lad didnt scream for the ball, which was my biggest gripe with him.

4. A short passing 5 a side game including GK's in a 30 x 30 metre square.

This was immediately after the last shambles and I was not looking forward to it. Unfortunately he started in the same vein and I had to give him a few comments from the sidelines to get him going. It seemed to work as he all of a sudden kicked into gear and scored a hat-trick with the 3rd goal being a beauty of a dink over the GK. At last he had woken up... or so I thought.

5. There were 40 kids overall and a round robin of 3 x 9 verus 9 games each including 1 sub for each team.

Game 1. He started in his usual position as a striker and was marked out of it by a huge lad. I wish you could have seen the size of him, he was 12 years old and would have made Nedum look small! I could not believe this kid was 12, NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS. He needs to take up basketball as he is fucking humongous. My lad really struggled physically but he battled away without any luck.

Game 2. He started as striker again, but no luck. Pretty much the same I'm afraid. He tried to drop deeper to get involved but he just didnt get the run of the ball. a few nice touches but nothing out of the ordinary and ended up being subbed off.

Game 3. Started as striker again, but this time his head had dropped and I just wanted to give him a cuddle. He looked quite upset as everything was going wrong and he couldnt get any of the ball from the midfield, plus he looked absolutely knackered in comparison to some of the kids (didnt realise how unfit he was). Hence he was subbed again, but this time a lot earlier in the game. One of the assessors had a word with him and asked him to go back on and play wide right and this time he played very well and set up the goal for the 1-0 win. Which was a bonus as he seemed a little happier to end on a high, I would have dreaded the journey home if he had stayed off the pitch!

Overall, there were a lot more players who caught the eye out there today and one lad looked very special indeed. The big lads were just football bullies who will not make the grade, but look good at this age level. Once the other kids grow up a little they will lose their advantage and be outclassed. 3 big lads there today and all were centre backs, they were very powerful and quick but with the touch of a donkey and just hoofed all the time. I hope my lad learns from this as he let the occasion and the fact that his markers were bigger than him get to him. I think I will leave him alone with his thoughts for a couple of days and take him for a kick around on friday before his game on saturday and have a chat with him about the whole event.

Still very proud of him as he did well to get there.
Wonderwall

Postby Lee_Kinda » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Sounds really good that mate, If things go well brilliant but even if not I bet both of you learnt a lot today so if there is another chance he will be a lot better prepared.

Fingers crossed anyway, but tbh at his age as long as he is enjoying himself that's the main thing init!

Well done to both of you anyway!
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Proud for you and the little'n mate, it's not easy for a kid to go out and do is best in those conditions, however, it should see him well for his next outing. My lad was similar on his trials, does everything right when in a game yet when on trial, doesn't seem to get to the same levels. Sometimes it's the cmpetition that get's to them.

Even if you think he didn't quite cut it on the day I'm sure it will serve him well in the long run. Well in that lad ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby dazby » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:57 am

Top report WW.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Slim » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:04 am

Tell him Shauny got dropped by Forest before coming to us.

No setback is too big if he wants it enough.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum