Board Quality And Recent Events

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Board Quality And Recent Events

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:33 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:I'm still something of a noob here, relatively speaking, so pardon my ignorance when I ask what a 'Sticky' is.

What's a 'sticky'?

it is a post that remains at the top of the thread list even if it is not posted on recently, hence the name "Sticky" as its stuck at the top
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Goataldo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Cheers WW!
Pretty bloody obvious really. Long day and all that....
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:46 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Cheers WW!
Pretty bloody obvious really. Long day and all that....

no worries, the only stupid question is the one you dont ask ;-)
Wonderwall

Postby AlanBallsHat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:58 pm

I am new as well but this seems like a good quality board to me.
It is minimalist (In that there are only a couple of sections) which is the way to do it as everyone ends up read everything.
I use a few boards but I never really used a football forum before. And am pleasantly surprised by the effort people seem to put in to the site.
R_I_G I have not agreed with many of your posts that I read but your opinions are valid and if you just try a less confrontational style am sure people would treat your opinions with more respect. We all support the same team after all mate. We all want the same thing.
AlanBallsHat
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: That Blue team
My favourite player is: The Shauns

Postby Mr Miyagi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:
I didn't go off on one for any other reason, as IMHO I was the architect of your rant, and was not going to be criticised again unfairly in my view and let it lie, if the same rules that you wish me to abide by (which I am sure I have ALWAYS abided by) are also adheared to by everybody else (i.e. not abusing fellow posters viewpoints or personal insults etc) then all is well and good, also I did read ALL of your thread before replying, hence why all aspects were replied to.

Why can't you accept that it's not all about you. This is something you do regularly. Go on the defensive, say you are a martyr for free speech, and then claim everyone is against you.... why can't you be happy about the fact there are some bigger idiots than you on the site?
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mr Miyagi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Forgot to address the OP....

Personally, I find the idea of a "Hughes-only thread" a bad idea. Not sure that things are that clear cut. There are lots of issues to discuss that would touch on the idea of whether the manager is doing the right thing. And it is legitimate to ask if the manager is the right person for the job to do various things. For example: our defence currently has problems leaking goals. If I pose the question of whether Hughes (an ex-striker) knows enough about defensive coaching does that mean I have breached the rules and should have used the "Hughes-only" thread..... just some thoughts.... although I understand why the posters have driven you to consider it....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:Forgot to address the OP....

Personally, I find the idea of a "Hughes-only thread" a bad idea. Not sure that things are that clear cut. There are lots of issues to discuss that would touch on the idea of whether the manager is doing the right thing. And it is legitimate to ask if the manager is the right person for the job to do various things. For example: our defence currently has problems leaking goals. If I pose the question of whether Hughes (an ex-striker) knows enough about defensive coaching does that mean I have breached the rules and should have used the "Hughes-only" thread..... just some thoughts.... although I understand why the posters have driven you to consider it....

This place has got really bad during you exile and something needed to be done for the sanity of this place. I totally agree and it will be very difficult, which is why I am asking for common sense and if you all help with this, it will succeed. Several topics will touch on certain hughes traits, but dont get drawn into a hughes debate, that is why the thread is there.
Wonderwall

Postby john68 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Carl,
You have been on this site a lot longer than I mate and I defer to your better knowledge. I'm not sure whether I am right with this but I always felt that those longer term posters who sometimes, like yourself, Slim and others, "posted angry" did so whilst retaining a regard for the site and also mixed those posts with rational, intelligent posts and a fair amount of humour, that gave the site a balance.

With the missing posters and some posters who are simply abusive or confrontational, that balance and sometimes that sense of fun seem to be lacking.

p.s. Keep up the good work WW, it really is appreciated by most of us....Thanks.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mr Miyagi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

This place has got really bad during you exile and something needed to be done for the sanity of this place. I totally agree and it will be very difficult, which is why I am asking for common sense and if you all help with this, it will succeed. Several topics will touch on certain hughes traits, but dont get drawn into a hughes debate, that is why the thread is there.

It got worse than members trying to arrange a pre-game punch up in a car park? That's the lowest point I remember. I didn't realise things carried on being so bad..... well, desperate times as they say
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Grob » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:15 pm

I blame Hughes
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Grob wrote:I blame Hughes

wrong fucking thread you tosser ;-)
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Slim » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

It got worse than members trying to arrange a pre-game punch up in a car park? That's the lowest point I remember. I didn't realise things carried on being so bad..... well, desperate times as they say

Pretty sure we had one member threaten to stab another member as well. I can see how the Hughes out posts would be as bad, when he got appointed I felt like I had been stabbed.

The problem isn't the Hughes Out threads, its the 20-30 people who just slag off the poster for it. Either...
a) Ignore the thread
b) Address the post

I recommend a).
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Took me a while to learn that this is just cyberspace and none of it REALLY matters....

However i've MET (in real life) some really nice people - i used to think it could be too "cliquey" (hellooooo clangers, mike, BWPRF etc etc) but maybe "cliquey" is the way to go?? I'd like to think that I'd be happy to say something in person I'd say on here...

anyway, internet forums are weird
"Whatever it is that we "bought" - we didn't put it up for sale..."

Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Манчестер Сити

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:41 am

john68 wrote:Carl,
You have been on this site a lot longer than I mate and I defer to your better knowledge. I'm not sure whether I am right with this but I always felt that those longer term posters who sometimes, like yourself, Slim and others, "posted angry" did so whilst retaining a regard for the site and also mixed those posts with rational, intelligent posts and a fair amount of humour, that gave the site a balance.

With the missing posters and some posters who are simply abusive or confrontational, that balance and sometimes that sense of fun seem to be lacking.

p.s. Keep up the good work WW, it really is appreciated by most of us....Thanks.

FUCK KNOWS WHATS CHANGED MATE...AS IVE SAID ,I DONT SEE ANYTHING DIFFERENT NOW TO WHAT IT WAS 9 YRS AGO.....IVE SAID A FEW TIMES THAT I CANNOT FUCKING UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET BECAUSE SOMEONES OPINION UPSETS THEM.
THEY NEVER PISSED OFF IN THE PAST AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER (ALTHOUGH THERE WERE A FEW BANS!!!)....MAYBE IT,S A SIGN OF THE TIMES??

AT THE END OF THE DAY THE MODS RUN THE SHOW AND YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THAT - WHATEVER THEY DO I HOPE IT,S NOT PC CONTROLLED AND OTT.

I THINK THE SHIT STARTED WHEN HUGHES WAS APPOINTED...IT, HAS CAUSED SO MUCH SHIT AMONGST CITY FANS ON THIS SITE THAT THE BANTER HAS DISSAPEARED SOMEWHAT.
(AND NOT JUST ON THIS SITE EITHER)
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby dazby » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:43 am

Totally agree Carl. You can plot NQDP's slide into psychosis from the day he was appointed. We argued heaps about Sven, Psycho, KK and Joe but Leslie is a whole new level.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Paul68 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:35 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

FUCK KNOWS WHATS CHANGED MATE...AS IVE SAID ,I DONT SEE ANYTHING DIFFERENT NOW TO WHAT IT WAS 9 YRS AGO.....IVE SAID A FEW TIMES THAT I CANNOT FUCKING UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET BECAUSE SOMEONES OPINION UPSETS THEM.
THEY NEVER PISSED OFF IN THE PAST AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER (ALTHOUGH THERE WERE A FEW BANS!!!)....MAYBE IT,S A SIGN OF THE TIMES??

AT THE END OF THE DAY THE MODS RUN THE SHOW AND YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THAT - WHATEVER THEY DO I HOPE IT,S NOT PC CONTROLLED AND OTT.

I THINK THE SHIT STARTED WHEN HUGHES WAS APPOINTED...IT, HAS CAUSED SO MUCH SHIT AMONGST CITY FANS ON THIS SITE THAT THE BANTER HAS DISSAPEARED SOMEWHAT.

Shouldn't this be in the Mark Hughes thread? - :-) :-)

But seriously... really? - you've been on here since noah was a boy and have obviously spotted various trends and phases but do you really think it's caused that much grief that people have actually stopped posting etc..?
I'm amazed...
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:02 am

We had so much grief at one point that Andrew Davies left...we were all very sad.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:32 am

jimmygrimble2 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Shouldn't this be in the Mark Hughes thread? - :-) :-)

But seriously... really? - you've been on here since noah was a boy and have obviously spotted various trends and phases but do you really think it's caused that much grief that people have actually stopped posting etc..?
I'm amazed...

I have defo stopped posting as much teh board at times is riddled with shout downs and opinion bashing, the sort of thing you see at a kids game from lunatic parents berating the ref the kid the coach and anyone who will listen.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Slim wrote:We had so much grief at one point that Andrew Davies left...we were all very sad.

Lets invite him back and just give him the shit.

Dedicated little bitch to give shit to.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ronk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:45 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
dazby wrote:It's like parenting. Give your kids attention when they are good, ignore them when they are bad. It's the same with posters. Applaud the good posts and ignore the shite.

Simple.

poor analogy imo. show me a parent who has thousands of children to deal with.

the problem is that every time one of these idiots posts some wum thread in either the maine or off-topic forum there will inevitably be people who take offence and give the wum what they want, i.e a slanging match. i have foe'd one poster recently that was really pissing me off - not all people will do this though and nor should they have to. will people who fail to ignore the wums be punished?

as for these "pussies" you say should post more quality - i have seen a good many good posters try and argue the case time and time again but with some cunt totally ignoring your argument and just stating some bollocks "facts", or taking the word of some bullshit anti-city rag as gospel because it fits their argument you kind of lose heart.

five or six of my fave posters have vanished in the last 3 months:

Ted Hughes, Grob, DHTP, Ronk, BMD, KK and now OD seem to have lost patience. are these guys pussies? or maybe thay just could not be arsed with fucking retards who have reduced this board to its lowest ebb in the 14 months i have been posting on here.

anyways well in WW, something like this really, really needed to be done.

I haven't actually left, I just haven't been on as often or as vocal as there haven't been as many of the normal discussions I'd normally post a lot in.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum