RSC - latest city boo boy, is it his fault?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Do you feel sorry for RSC

Postby Vhero » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:04 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Abu Dhabi wrote:
Vhero wrote:I don't feel sorry for him no. I won't ever feel sorry for somebody who earns more in a week than I do in a fucking year stop sticking up for the waste of space will ya?

Yeah because moral values are irrelevant when money comes in the equation. That was a sad statement.

Well said that man, 2 of the responses to the op simply show why constructive debate seems to be a secondary thought on here these days. Anyway, I will change the title seeing as some clearly dont bother reading the content of the thread.

Many on here probably earn more in a week than others do in a month, so when someone gets cancer, finds their mrs cheating on them, or some other bad shit that has happened to some on here over the last year, your stock statement is that you wont ever feel sorry for someone because they earn more than you - fucking pathetic.

I understand people dont get the signing of RSC, me included, but he is here now and my reasons for starting the thead is not to be a RSC apologist, but to put forward a theory as to why that may be.

I am surprised that some havent jumped on this to criticise Hughes, because it is the only natural conclusion I can draw from the signing of RSC, however I tried to avoid les bashing in the op.

Sorry about that maybe I should have answered I was a bit grumpy this morning though but yeah I feel it is kinda his fault. He came to the team knowing what was expected. He was expected to play the role of a top 6 striker and he hasn't no way near hit that target yet. People can make all the bullshit excuses they want like out of position, (Robinhos never played in his natural position but the same people slag him off??) but at the end of the day a certain percentage of fans including myself always thought it was a silly buy in the first place as with his injury record in the past and the fact he has only ever had 1 good season. So the fact he isn't playing upto standard doesn't help the situation I guess. The price tag is also against him but I don't also feel sorry for that as we paid a similar amount for Bellamy and although he plays in a different position right now for us I would seriously pick him over RSC for the striker role. Yet Hughes doesn't seem to think the same.

I also think Hughes haters will never like the guy as he bought him twice now so he's obviously a friend of Hughes or some crap. (maybe I'm over thinking it here)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: RSC - latest city boo boy, is it his fault?

Postby zuricity » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:13 pm

How can anybody come up with the idea that RSC is a 'Boo Boy' ?

He hasn't played enough games to be considered a good or bad buy for City. Very little at all.

Whether we should have bought him or not is an entirely different matter.

It would be quite wrong for us to get onto him because of any game he has played in, because that's simply not enough time.

Also, i don't get the idea of booing City players at all. I've never every done that. I can't ever recall shouting at a player that they were rubbish or whatever. I may have told them to wake up, or that someone should stick a few volts through them to liven them up a bit though.
Last edited by zuricity on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:19 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I find it difficult to accept some fans are ready to turn on our own players at times. When said player has played as little as RSC has it's all the more baffling!

But then, you just have to read some of the comets replying to this topic to get an insight into some peoples mentality.

Point is of course that people went on and on and on how we shouldn't buy him as he is useless. When Hughes DID eventually get him, those very people were praying that they were wrong in their assesment. As it turns out they weren't so it's obvious people are pissed off and vent their frustration on the player.

I can't be sorry for him. He gets astronomical wages to deal with pressure like this. People expect him to deliver and rightly so.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby zuricity » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I find it difficult to accept some fans are ready to turn on our own players at times. When said player has played as little as RSC has it's all the more baffling!

But then, you just have to read some of the comets replying to this topic to get an insight into some peoples mentality.

Point is of course that people went on and on and on how we shouldn't buy him as he is useless. When Hughes DID eventually get him, those very people were praying that they were wrong in their assesment. As it turns out they weren't so it's obvious people are pissed off and vent their frustration on the player.

I can't be sorry for him. He gets astronomical wages to deal with pressure like this. People expect him to deliver and rightly so.

The points you are making are quite correct NQDP but he's still not had enough time to become a 'Boo Boy' and who's booing him anyway ? I haven't read anywhere else on the internet , except here that he is the latest boo boy.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Vhero » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Bang on mate.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:19 pm

zuricity wrote:

The points you are making are quite correct NQDP but he's still not had enough time to become a 'Boo Boy' and who's booing him anyway ? I haven't read anywhere else on the internet , except here that he is the latest boo boy.

I'm using my crystal ball pal, give it a week or two, I've seen enough boo boys at city over the years to know when one is being lined up as heir apparent.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:34 pm

Correct. And me too. It's one of those things that I think is more apparent inside the stadium on matchday than trying to gauge opinion on forums and the like. Santa Cruz's little fuck-ups like miscontrolling the ball are greeted with more groans and shouts of "FUCKING SHITE, GEDDIM OFF!" than those others. This player, the target of the boo-boys, will be singled out and abused disproportionately. There's only room for one at a time but there's definitely always one regardless of how we're doing. In my opinion, these have been the biggest targets of our boo-boys over the last 15-20 years:

Kit Symons
Nigel Clough (I never boo any player, but I have little sympathy given this fella's on-field efforts)
Richard Edghill (Absolutely disgraceful - a great guy, a local lad and a true blue)
Georgios Samaras
Andy Dibble

Lescott was definitely the number-one contender to become the next one until RSC got out onto the pitch. It's pathetic now more than ever really, considering where we are and how we're doing. With Samaras, there was a lot of frustration at having spaffed 6m on such an ineffective striker when the club was skint. The fans could realistically claim that it was "our money" that was being wasted on such toss and the frustration was perhaps understandable. Now, with ticket sales and merchandise no longer the main source of income, I see the abuse of our players as pretty unjustified, and extremely counter-productive. It won't be plain sailing, but we're gonna arrive at where we're gonna be. Not every signing will be a success but we can afford the risks. Some people are just bitter people who turn up resenting footballers and wanting someone to vent at, and that's a shame.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:Correct. And me too. It's one of those things that I think is more apparent inside the stadium on matchday than trying to gauge opinion on forums and the like. Santa Cruz's little fuck-ups like miscontrolling the ball are greeted with more groans and shouts of "FUCKING SHITE, GEDDIM OFF!" than those others. This player, the target of the boo-boys, will be singled out and abused disproportionately. There's only room for one at a time but there's definitely always one regardless of how we're doing. In my opinion, these have been the biggest targets of our boo-boys over the last 15-20 years:

Kit Symons
Nigel Clough (I never boo any player, but I have little sympathy given this fella's on-field efforts)
Richard Edghill (Absolutely disgraceful - a great guy, a local lad and a true blue)
Georgios Samaras
Andy Dibble

Lescott was definitely the number-one contender to become the next one until RSC got out onto the pitch. It's pathetic now more than ever really, considering where we are and how we're doing. With Samaras, there was a lot of frustration at having spaffed 6m on such an ineffective striker when the club was skint. The fans could realistically claim that it was "our money" that was being wasted on such toss and the frustration was perhaps understandable. Now, with ticket sales and merchandise no longer the main source of income, I see the abuse of our players as pretty unjustified, and extremely counter-productive. It won't be plain sailing, but we're gonna arrive at where we're gonna be. Not every signing will be a success but we can afford the risks. Some people are just bitter people who turn up resenting footballers and wanting someone to vent at, and that's a shame.

As much as anything, I think as the tide of support slowly turns against Hughes, RSC will be the focus of some of the stick which should maybe be directed towards Hughes. He will kop for some perhaps unwarranted grief unless something changes significantly for both Hughes in terms of results, and RSC in terms of performances.

We have to bear in mind the opposition we have between now and xmas, we could easily be in the bottom half of the table come the time Adebayor leaves for the African Nations, and I think it could end up getting very ugly for RSC if Hughes has not gone by then.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby simon12 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:07 pm

My opinion on the original question is no at the moment as he`s being asked to play a game which has never been naturally his. Before someone posts he`s a stricker so should score. He needs the ball crossing in from the wings to be effective. The other way to look at this, is, defoe scored 5 last week but `arry picked a team that played to defoes strengths. He didn`t have wingers throwing crosses in for defoe to head. only my opinion but it seems sensible to me.

edited i put yes like a tit... sorry
Last edited by simon12 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby lets all have a disco » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Course he is,its either him Micah or SWP.
WE ALWAYS NEED ONE AT ALL TIMES,LETS BOO THE CUNT AND RUIN HIM EH? SHOULD BE FUN.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Chinners » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Sadly I think RSC will be a one season wonder. He didn't set the world alight at Bayern but was a great signing for £3m and his goal return in his first season. As someone said earlier in the thread, 5 games in the reserves would be good for him and the club.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

I posted a couple of months ago saying that RSC...

Postby Citeh&Crew » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:35 am

simon12 wrote:My opinion on the original question is no at the moment as he`s being asked to play a game which has never been naturally his. Before someone posts he`s a stricker so should score. He needs the ball crossing in from the wings to be effective. The other way to look at this, is, defoe scored 5 last week but `arry picked a team that played to defoes strengths. He didn`t have wingers throwing crosses in for defoe to head. only my opinion but it seems sensible to me.

edited i put yes like a tit... sorry

is not a better striker than what Bojinov could be, in the future. At this point, I also believe that we would have been better off giving Caciedo RSCs playing time. I would rather have kept either, in exchange for RSCs spot.

To be fair, I concede Santa Cruz has not had much game time, and is still likely a time from being "in form". I could be wrong, but on the television, he looks sluggish and a bit overweight (in comparison to other fit players, such as Ade or Bellers, e.g.).

And I do agree with the comments concerning our lack of quality crosses. But with all that.. will someone please tell me why RSC can't seem to trap a ball, at times? There is no excuse for such incompetence at this level! Maybe if it occured once in a blue moon, one could overlook, but not as often as RSC has displayed such ineptitude. Further, I just don't believe that his lack of fitness is attributable to such woes; it's not just the trapping, as his passing and decision making speed are awful and slow, respectively.

Maybe he is in some kind of mental funk that is consequence of the pressures in being included at such a "bigtime" side as the "new" City, combined with the challenges involved in rehab.

Surely, when he was at Blackburn (and in form), he had the luxury of being a "big fish in a little pond". Mentally, that has to be an advantage.. and he showed it with is performance on the pitch. That "one good season" was incredible, and right now, he doesn't look like the same man. I hope for his sake, he can recapture that form.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Slim » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:49 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:Kit Symons
Georgios Samaras
Andy Dibble

Shaun Goater deserves to be on the list too.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 am

Id just like to point out that at no point did RSC get any service on Satdi and against Scunny he got service and scored.

Let the guy settle he has been injured and isnt totally upto speed yet.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ant london » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:34 am

Brilliant idea to get on his back when he's not yet hit his stride.

That's a sure fire way to waste the transfer fee....blame Hughes for signing him if you want but if we end up taking a bath on a player sold on when his confidence has been shot to bits by undue criticism and having his "home" crowd on his back since pretty much day 1 then you can all take a bow for the key part you will have played
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby salford city » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:41 am

Lots of good points for and against in here. Mine is that the price tag was not his fault and we're going to see more of the same in the next transfer window. It was obvious that he was coming - we pursued him all through the window but the thing that sticks out for me is that MH knew his strengths and how to get the best out of him and he still bought him knowing that we are not set up to deliver to them? I do believe he cannot really be as bad as what I have seen so far in his limited time on the pitch that he has more to his game then we have seen but I cannot see him fulfilling this potential(?) without wide men who can put the ball into him
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Not had a chance yet. Give him a break.

Start with those who couldn't create anything for the first umpteen minutes on Saturday, despite playing most of the game in their half.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby sky_blue_stew » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:50 pm

OP was the most interesting in this thread. I agree that the system at the moment doesn't suit him, and his greatest attribute, his aerial ability, is definitely the thing we need to be harnessing. Maybe Hughes had Robinho in mind as the player that could provide the killer crosses? But the criticism of RSC, while natural from frustrated fans, brings up the old debate over whether forwards should be judged by goal returns or other contributions. Had a ball landed on Roque's head and he'd found us a winner then the hissing would be silenced for a couple of weeks at least. This football article on top goalscorers questions whether those forwards who link up the play are really as valuable as the one who will get you a winner, even if he doesn't touch the ball the rest of the game. The comments on Tevez are part of that ongoing conversation. While a part of me fears RSC will be another Juan Pablo Angel, the least we can do is try delivering the right balls in a few times before we sacrifice him.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm

ant london wrote:Brilliant idea to get on his back when he's not yet hit his stride.

That's a sure fire way to waste the transfer fee....blame Hughes for signing him if you want but if we end up taking a bath on a player sold on when his confidence has been shot to bits by undue criticism and having his "home" crowd on his back since pretty much day 1 then you can all take a bow for the key part you will have played

I know, its a joke. Whats wrong with some people? Why boo a guy who's barely kicked a ball for the club? How is that going to help him or the team? I've never ever booed a player in a City shirt and I never will and i've witnessed some real shit over the years, trust me. I've booed the team at the end of a handful of appalling performances but singling out an individual is heartless and pointless. What do people expect to get out of it? Seriously, what? I've never understood it? Is it to tell the manager you think hes shit or is it to tell him you think hes shit or what? Its playground bully stuff and its pathetic.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Colin the King » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:30 pm

If he has to play, there's no point in using a fluid system like we normally do. Petrov wide left, Ireland wide right (for his crossing ability compared to SWP) and two holding midfielders. Balls constantly bombed into the box from the wide areas, and a small forward, be it Bellamy, Robinho or Tevez playing off him. Traditional, predictable, boring 4-4-2, Villa style. We'll see Santa Cruz at his best with that kind of football.

But in our current system, it's square pegs in round holes. We set up to play fast, intelligent, counter attacking football that suits Ade because of his mobility and confidence on the ball.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum