January - Who would you sign?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

January - Who would you sign?

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 am

I agree with not signing too many more players and upsetting the applecart, so that being said I would sign Yaya Toure and an attacking midfield player to deputise for Ireland. I would also love to sign Maicon and Lahm to upgrade the RB/LB slots.

Personally I think Ireland is wasted in this new position we've had him in this year and I think we play him there just to accomodate him.

I think this team would be awesome:

--------------------------Given----------------------

Maicon----------K.Toure------Lescott---------Lahm

-------------------De Jong----Y.Toure--------------

----Tevez------------Ireland------------Robinho---

----------------------Adebayor-----------------------

What would you do?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Re: January - Who would you sign?

Postby bluexile » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:54 am

Where do SWP and CB fit into this plan?
bluexile
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: jackie Dyson

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:56 am

bluexile wrote:Where do SWP and CB fit into this plan?

Who's CB?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:58 am

craig bellamy...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 am

Ahh it's clicked, Craig Bellamy. I thought you meant Gareth Barry but mistyped it.

Well to answer your question, they fit into my plans on the bench.
edge275

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:01 am

I'd sign a LB for sure, not necessarily as an improvement over Bridge but as a back-up, Sylvinho is old so I'd prefer someone young who can develop and hopefully become better than Bridge. My choice right now would be Bale from Spurs, but there might be other ones worth scouting.

As for RB, I see Maicon often in Serie A, he's great bombing forward but he's suspect defensively if he gets attacked, and it showed big time in Inter's game against Barcelona in the CL the other week, Pedro effortlessly had a great game on Maicon's side, going past him time and time again. Not sure he's that big of an improvement defensively.

Midfield, I'd sign Tourè but not necessarily as a starter, I'd see better someone more box-to-box to join De Jong on that line (btw I do agree with your 4-2-3-1 formation) and Tourè is essentially a defensive midfielder. So if he wants the shirt granted week in week out as he seems to want at Barcelona, then no thanks. As an offensive option as backup for Ireland or anyway another option for that role I'd sign Van der Vaart if possible, or Hamsik from Napoli, or Gourcuff from Bordeaux. Or, scout a youngster that can develop, I have no names in that department though.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Spurge » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:05 am

Looking at his team I would say they don't - bench probably.

I'm not sure who but with Adebayor off to Africa and doubts about the fitness of Bellamy and RSC I would like another quality striker -more of a target man who will drop in and link up play effectively but will bust a gut to get in the box and finish.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:06 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:I'd sign a LB for sure, not necessarily as an improvement over Bridge but as a back-up, Sylvinho is old so I'd prefer someone young who can develop and hopefully become better than Bridge. My choice right now would be Bale from Spurs, but there might be other ones worth scouting.

As for RB, I see Maicon often in Serie A, he's great bombing forward but he's suspect defensively if he gets attacked, and it showed big time in Inter's game against Barcelona in the CL the other week, Pedro effortlessly had a great game on Maicon's side, going past him time and time again. Not sure he's that big of an improvement defensively.

Midfield, I'd sign Tourè but not necessarily as a starter, I'd see better someone more box-to-box to join De Jong on that line (btw I do agree with your 4-2-3-1 formation) and Tourè is essentially a defensive midfielder. So if he wants the shirt granted week in week out as he seems to want at Barcelona, then no thanks. As an offensive option as backup for Ireland or anyway another option for that role I'd sign Van der Vaart if possible, or Hamsik from Napoli, or Gourcuff from Bordeaux. Or, scout a youngster that can develop, I have no names in that department though.

Gourcuff is a great shout I'd definitely sign him. Bale also another top shout.
edge275

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:07 am

Spurge wrote:

Looking at his team I would say they don't - bench probably.

I'm not sure who but with Adebayor off to Africa and doubts about the fitness of Bellamy and RSC I would like another quality striker -more of a target man who will drop in and link up play effectively but will bust a gut to get in the box and finish.

I honestly believe RVN is the man for us.
edge275

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:17 am

Svensational wrote:Recall Boj from his loan ;-)

And

Jo

Sorted Guv.

I assume the second shout there is a joke?????

fucking hell, I don't want to see that clown anywhere near a sky blue shirt again. Bojinov I'd be happy to see back but I doubt it will ever happen.

Luckily both players are on 12 month loan deals, so we won't be seeing them in January.

Personally, I'd like to sign a left winger, someone who can deliver balls into the box from the flanks. Maybe another right back. Don't think we need another defensive midfielder to be honest. Johnson and Kompany have parts to play on a box to box and defensive front.

Maybe another striker if we can finally offload Benjani, other than that I think we have enough depth and quality and should concentrate on settling the playing staff and style of play
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:18 am

ant london wrote:
Svensational wrote:Recall Boj from his loan ;-)

And

Jo

Sorted Guv.

I assume the second shout there is a joke?????

fucking hell, I don't want to see that clown anywhere near a sky blue shirt again. Bojinov I'd be happy to see back but I doubt it will ever happen.

Luckily both players are on 12 month loan deals, so we won't be seeing them in January.

Personally, I'd like to sign a left winger, someone who can deliver balls into the box from the flanks. Maybe another right back. Don't think we need another defensive midfielder to be honest. Johnson and Kompany have parts to play on a box to box and defensive front.

Maybe another striker if we can finally offload Benjani, other than that I think we have enough depth and quality and should concentrate on settling the playing staff and style of play

It's quite clear that Jo's 19m transfer was Thaksin money laundering.
edge275

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:22 am

I was worried you'd been to Blackpool and taken another knock to your flamed napper!

Fucking Jo....what a disaster of a signing. It still amazes me how some strikers can look the business in one league and then utter dog poo in another
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:29 am

Svensational wrote:
ant london wrote:I was worried you'd been to Blackpool and taken another knock to your flamed napper!

Fucking Jo....what a disaster of a signing. It still amazes me how some strikers can look the business in one league and then utter dog poo in another

It wouldnt be as a bad if Jo was actually performing for Everton either but hes not, hes just as shite! Samaras though....well thats another story.

hey, Gorgeous scored yesterday.....from about a yard out....was a peach
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CityGer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:06 am

Maicon
Toure
Ribbery
Fabiano
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Vhero » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:09 am

CityGer wrote:Maicon
Toure
Ribbery
Fabiano

nice shout I would defo pick Ribery and Maicon myself.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:09 am

CityGer wrote:Maicon
Toure
Ribbery
Fabiano

be funny if we could hoover all four of them up

I'd be over the moon with the final two. Not overly fussed re Yaya as I've said previously
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby simon12 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:13 am

Maicon
Lahm
Ribery
Torres
Gerrard

In that order.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Shouts for Yaya are not for me. Nige, Komps and Gaz Baz can all do that job and Zabba at a push.

I'd like another Fullback who could fill in on both sides if ones available and another attack minded mid ala Elano. Think that would do us to be honest.

Oh and another keeper, Shay worries me :)
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Ribery is top class, but really, we already have Robinho, Bellamy and Petrov that can play on that wing, do we really need another top player there? Someone is going to get angry and start moaning imho if we get him.

A striker for when Ade is away sounds good, although there's RSC who will be wanting to prove his worth. What do you guys think of Edin Dzeko? He scored a lot in Germany last year and has the build to be a targetman, but we know how different the quality is between the Bundesliga and the Premier League...again, I'd prefer someone young that can develop and not moan too much when he's going to be on the bench once Ade is back. I like Balotelli, although he's a bit of a cunt, and he doesn't really fit the targetman role, does he? But he's definitely one that can become a world-class striker, he's still 19.

I already expressed my views on Maicon and Tourè, not too arsed about them. Tbh I can't think of a really good RB at the moment, maybe just Alves, everyone else is either not good going forward or not very good when defending (like Maicon).

If Barry really needs a surgery, I feel that Johnno is a bit too little to cover the box-to-box role, what if he gets injured or suspended? Kompany can fit as def. midfielder but not really as box-to-box, can he? So I'd search for a midfielder of that kind.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby ruralblue » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Ribery and Macion. Possibly another striker cause unless Santa is going to start delivering promised gifts then we are going to be short when Ade buggers off to Arican nations.

I dont see us buying much to be honest one or two tops.

And hopefully Benjani off ski.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum