January - Who would you sign?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: January - Who would you sign?

Postby xavi6 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:55 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote: What do you guys think of Edin Dzeko? He scored a lot in Germany last year and has the build to be a targetman, but we know how different the quality is between the Bundesliga and the Premier League...again,

Was gonna say him as well. He is fuckin quality and would be perfect to replace Ade during the African Nations. Unfortunately though he has committed to Wolfsburg until the summer.

I'd love a bit of Gourcuff as well. As great as yesterday was, we do lack midfield creativity if Superman is absent for any reason. Gourcuff would be spot on to share that role.

I'm happy with Bridge at left back, though I know others aren't. I don't think he's any worse defensively than Lahm tbh. And I'd like to see Micah given a good run in the side so I'm not too fussed on signing another right back until the summer.

Two players in the window plus getting rid of the likes of Banjani would be solid.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:06 pm

xavi6 wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote: What do you guys think of Edin Dzeko? He scored a lot in Germany last year and has the build to be a targetman, but we know how different the quality is between the Bundesliga and the Premier League...again,

Was gonna say him as well. He is fuckin quality and would be perfect to replace Ade during the African Nations. Unfortunately though he has committed to Wolfsburg until the summer.

I'd love a bit of Gourcuff as well. As great as yesterday was, we do lack midfield creativity if Superman is absent for any reason. Gourcuff would be spot on to share that role.

I'm happy with Bridge at left back, though I know others aren't. I don't think he's any worse defensively than Lahm tbh. And I'd like to see Micah given a good run in the side so I'm not too fussed on signing another right back until the summer.

Two players in the window plus getting rid of the likes of Banjani would be solid.

that's a good shout all the way around. i do like Lahm, but i'm not unhappy with Bridge at all this season. i think he's done really well. Look, if any world-class fullbacks on either side can be scooped up i would consider them, but i think our biggest need is that creative midfielder.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:53 pm

i'd do what takes to get Yossi Benayoun.
premiership proven, who can create, score goals, and be good competition for superman.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:06 pm

gourcuff is over-rated IMO, I have seen him lots and he has never had an outstanding game when I have watched him. I dont see the appeal. Also the last time I watched Lahm, he looked very slow and was made to look stupid. He would have been my ideal choice before I saw him wading through treacle.

Ashley cole was made to look poor by SWP yesterday but I still think he is one of the best LB's, but there is no chance of us getting him. How about Gael Clichy for LB and Glen Johnson for RB. I like the theory of weakening the opposition whilst we strengthen.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby bobadji » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Villa, I still think we're missing something up front, if not Villa then Dzeko is a fair shout.
I think everyone knows Hughes will be targeting a RB, and I think the best we could get is Maicon. The LB at inter is pretty tidy too, sure he's a natural RB though, Santon is it?
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Wonderwall wrote: How about Gael Clichy for LB and Glen Johnson for RB. I like the theory of weakening the opposition whilst we strengthen.
I agree on them and on your theory, fact is Scouse won't let Johnson go so soon after buying him and Arsenal won't sell Clichy to us.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Colin the King » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:40 pm

I don't think there's any great need to spend a lot of money in January- we have a very good squad who evidently are starting to build good relationships with each other- the defence is looking stronger, Tevez has added quality to his workrate, SWP has been outstanding recently...and we have good options in the squad with quality players like Petrov and Kompany only making the bench.

As for left back, we have Bridge as first choice, Barry and Lescott can play there, Sylvinho is waiting in the wings. At right back Richards and Zabaleta are both good players, and others can fill in there if necessary. If anything I'd be looking for a versatile squad player who has quality in several areas...for example an attacker that can play left, right or through the middle.

As time goes on the players will become even more comfortable around each other- it's a work in progress. Spending money is important in the initial stages but throwing more and more at a problem doesn't necessarily fix it.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Beeks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:46 pm

I think right back is number 1 priority

followed by left back cover

Then maybe another creative midfielder as a luxury
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Burt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 pm

I wouldn't upset the applecart at the moment.

One thing that really struck me yesterday was the determination on all our lads faces as they left the field at the end.They looked like they wanted to pull their tripe out for Leslie and maintaining this mentality will drive us straight into the heart of that top four. They'll all be shittin emselves and lookin over their shoulders at us now cos................................they're genuinely SCARED!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

Postby patrickblue » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:03 pm

ant london wrote:Personally, I'd like to sign a left winger, someone who can deliver balls into the box from the flanks.

Surely we've already got one of those.
In fact if the criteria is someone who can deliver balls into the box from the flanks, we've got one of the best, despite his other shortcomings.
Plus Bellers does a fair job there as a traditional type winger too.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby s1ty m » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:15 pm

yaya toure. nothing else needed i don't think.

the van horseface is not a bad shout though. hate him though i do, he'd score plenty in this team. and has coped well in this league before. ahem.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Beeks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:19 pm

s1ty m wrote:yaya toure. nothing else needed i don't think.

I think he is the least of our worries after De Jongs performance yesterday

Would you want to be the one that tells him he's dropped?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:17 pm

For me it depends on ambitions. If the target of top 6 is truly the aim this season then I'm not sure we need anyone. The squad we have is capable of being in the top 6.

However, if the board decide they want to go for it this year and try for that 4th place then I think signings are necesary. Right back and left back are weaknesses in my opinion. I also agree with others that striker could be a problem position. Adebayor will miss 6 weeks of the season at African Nations. An injury to Tevez during January and we are in trouble. RSC not good enough. Therefore another world class striker would be needed as well.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Rag_hater » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

David Villa for striking and
Joan Capdevla and Raul Albiol for defence.
Rag_hater

Postby everyonehatesus » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Im going to stick my neck out and say no one, Iv'e seen they team start to click over the last few games and there has been a massive improvement. I think that we have a good enough team for 5th/4th and we should wait untill the summer now to go and get a couple of players that have seen us progress and want to join the club of the future.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby paulh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:54 pm

puyol, mathew upson and yaya would do for me. extra cover in defence and a great midfielder added to pack
paulh
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: gareth barry

Postby Kyle » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:21 pm

The dilemma is to get players that have no problem watching a few games from the bench. With our squad there is going to be rotation, and for all the shouts for another DM we would probably have to sell Kompany beacause having too much competition for a spot is not wanted either. There are three spots that I would like to see filled in January.

RB - I have no idea who though, it seems like every option is not that much of an improvement on what we already have (based on performances in recent weeks with a squad that is gelling). So for right now, I would say wait and see how the rest of the season goes before making a decision on this.

Creative Midfielder - Piotr Trochowski is the man I want for this spot. He wouldn't come in expecting to start every single game, and would play the same sort of role for us that Benyoun plays for Liverpool. He can play all across midfield, has a lethal free kick, and plays for Hamburger HSV whom we obviously can negotiate with. At 25 he is young enough to improve and old enough to play maturely.

Striker - I would also go for a hitman like said by others, with my list headed by Dzeko.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Blueboylewis » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:26 pm

These are the players i would love here-

Ribery
Yaya
Daniel Alves
Iniesta :)
Messi :)

Now about the striking department. When Ade does go in January, we dont want to buy a high class quality striker that will want to play every game! Especially when Ade will be back. How about defoe on a loan till the end of the season or on a permanent deal. Or bojan on a loan deal? We dont want to be buying a high class striker. We just want to buy a striker that will be able to cover for Ade and will be able to score and put the goals in the net to win matches.

Thats what we have to think about.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 am

said it for the last 2 windows.
whatever it takes to get Silva and Villa from valencia.

the weak links in our team are our full backs. we needs a left and right back to replace our current pair. they aren't good enough.

re the creative midfielder we crave, if we were succesful in getting silva then maybe robbie could fill that void?
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby john@staustell » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 am

Definitely agree with Edge OP and others:

First priority - Right back
Second priority - Left back

This wouldn't be 'upsetting the apple cart' as both positions have cost us a number of goals and therefore points.

Would def improve our points tally no end.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum