Caicedo back And City After Lahm?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Caicedo back?

Postby Dameerto » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:18 pm

13021J wrote:Sounds like Caicedo is back at Sporting's request not ours!

As for Lahm I've only ever seen him for Germany and he looked good then. Anyone else have any views?

Quality player, and very likely to make a regular appearance at either fb position.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Re: Caicedo back And City After Lahm?

Postby Lee_Kinda » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 pm

IMO if we are going to europe it is better to get them in january.

Lets give them 6 months filling in here and there to see what they are like ready for the new season. This year is going to be good, but 10/11 is going to be the big big season and thats when we need the squad really sorted.

If we buy abroad in the summer, we will have to throw them straight in and points at the start of the season are just as important than the ones at the end!
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby edge275 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:50 pm

Bollocks to Caicedo just sell the cunt.

i'd be delighted with Lahm though.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Colin the King » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 pm

Lahm is an appalling player, one of the most overrated in the world. I'm sure he'd be a big hit with the video game types though. Watched him closely tonight, despite Bayern winning he was all over the place- dispossessed easily in the opposition half, left gaping holes in defence and offered little going forward when that's supposedly his forté. Bridge, for all his faults, is ten times the player Lahm will ever be.

As for Caicedo, he did little wrong when playing for us. Eight goals last season and we didn't have half as good a team as we do now. He'll never be a Drogba or anything but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out. When Ade heads off to Africa I'd like to see him at least on the bench- I really don't think he's a whole lot worse than Santa Cruz.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:14 am

Colin the King wrote:Lahm is an appalling player, one of the most overrated in the world. I'm sure he'd be a big hit with the video game types though. Watched him closely tonight, despite Bayern winning he was all over the place- dispossessed easily in the opposition half, left gaping holes in defence and offered little going forward when that's supposedly his forté. Bridge, for all his faults, is ten times the player Lahm will ever be.

As for Caicedo, he did little wrong when playing for us. Eight goals last season and we didn't have half as good a team as we do now. He'll never be a Drogba or anything but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out. When Ade heads off to Africa I'd like to see him at least on the bench- I really don't think he's a whole lot worse than Santa Cruz.

SORRY - WE WONT GET ANYTHING IN GAMES WITH CAICEDO AND RSC IN THE TEAM ,GIVEN THEIR CURRENT FORM.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby TonyM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:30 am

I might sound crazy but I still reckon Caicedo can be top top class. He's young - give him time and support.

IMO we have to make Santa Cruz striker number 1 when Ade's away in Africa. And Caicedo should be his backup. If we suffer in the league and cups so what. This season is a learning exercise. I've given up all hope of top 4 at this point. I'll just be happy with some development in our style of play (last 2 games are positive steps in the right direction - but lets not forget how awful we were as a team all season - fine when individuals sparked but generally woeful as a unit).

Santa Cruz and caicedo may not be individually great but as part of a good unit they could be quite effective - look at Carew at Villa!
TonyM
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:45 am

TonyM wrote:I might sound crazy but I still reckon Caicedo can be top top class. He's young - give him time and support.

IMO we have to make Santa Cruz striker number 1 when Ade's away in Africa. And Caicedo should be his backup. If we suffer in the league and cups so what. This season is a learning exercise. I've given up all hope of top 4 at this point. I'll just be happy with some development in our style of play (last 2 games are positive steps in the right direction - but lets not forget how awful we were as a team all season - fine when individuals sparked but generally woeful as a unit).

Santa Cruz and caicedo may not be individually great but as part of a good unit they could be quite effective - look at Carew at Villa!

We've just beat chelsea?! If were gonna be shit with RSC starting and no ade and toure (im just saying IF), Id rather go out and spend big money on a striker than write the season off when this is our big chance. Liverpool and arsenal are not going to keep accepting 3rd or 4th.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Dameerto » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:09 am

Colin the King wrote:Lahm is an appalling player, one of the most overrated in the world. I'm sure he'd be a big hit with the video game types though. Watched him closely tonight, despite Bayern winning he was all over the place- dispossessed easily in the opposition half, left gaping holes in defence and offered little going forward when that's supposedly his forté. Bridge, for all his faults, is ten times the player Lahm will ever be.

He was named in the UEFA team of the tournament for Euro 2008 and rightly so, getting there on merit (one of only two Germans to make it) - was he playing right back tonight? I heard something about them switching him this season, but havent seen him play at RB at all. It might go some way to explaining why he was having a bad game or maybe it just wasn't his night. Every time I've seen him play for Germany he has performed very well.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:34 am

TonyM wrote:I might sound crazy but I still reckon Caicedo can be top top class. He's young - give him time and support.

EH ???????????? ARE YOU MAD MATE? THIS IS A FANTASTIC CHANCE OF GETTING INTO THE CL..WE ARE A POINT AWAY WITH A GAME IN HAND....IF ANYTHING I WOULD GO OUT AND BUY ANOTHER FORWARD RATHER THAN HAVE TO RELY ON RSC AND LOANEE FLOP CAICEDO!!!!!

250 MILLION AND THIS SEASON IS A LEARNING EXCERCISE??? LIKE FUCK IT IS MATE...IT IS A SEASON THAT SHOULD GIVE US POSSIBLE SILVERWARE AND A POSSIBLE TOP 4 SPOT.......LEARNING EXCERCISE MY ARSE.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby ronk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:07 am

I don't want us to make any short term signings unless they're cheap as chips or there's a fresh injury crisis.

If the right players are available, we should buy them, but only if they're the best players. We don't really want to be growing the squad if we don't need to.

I don't count Lahm in that book. He's nothing special and I don't think he's a sufficient improvement. I think the next great left back is someone who's going to have to be plucked or developed rather than someone we can just throw money at.

Eventually we're going to have to start signing players and easing them in over 6 months to a year (as Sven had been doing). That doesn't have to start now but there's no point letting someone special slip through the net.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Abu Dhabi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:17 am

Scatman wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:More or less the same was the case with Roberto Carlos, who for me was THE most overrated player EVER.

On that we can at least agree!

And can anyone own up to ever seeing him score a free kick that wasn't "that one"?

This is a bizarre statement because his left foot was the only good thing about him.
I remember him scoring screamers against Argentina and China and few with Madrid. His left foot was amazing and he scored some great in-play long distance goals as well. But, as been mentioned, that was it. He was a disaster in many areas of play, and yes I would like to add my vote with the ones saying hes one of the most overrated players.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby john68 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:28 am

Oi O'Dub,
Are you pissed on the coider again, geographically challenged, or just plain lost?
Who are these foreigners that you're not sure about?
From where I stand, you're a bloody Oirishman and the only City players who aren't foreign to you are shay and Superman.
Please clarify who you mean...not now Mate...when you're sober and worked out where you live.
Ta for that....:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:36 am

Abu Dhabi wrote:
Scatman wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:More or less the same was the case with Roberto Carlos, who for me was THE most overrated player EVER.

On that we can at least agree!

And can anyone own up to ever seeing him score a free kick that wasn't "that one"?

This is a bizarre statement because his left foot was the only good thing about him.
I remember him scoring screamers against Argentina and China and few with Madrid. His left foot was amazing and he scored some great in-play long distance goals as well. But, as been mentioned, that was it. He was a disaster in many areas of play, and yes I would like to add my vote with the ones saying hes one of the most overrated players.

Besides having seen Carlos play a few times and thinking he was rather good I think his record say enough for the quality of player he was.
You dont become the most played foriegn player for Real Madrid if you cant play winninng numerous titles and being in the team that won the WC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBQ364AzSXU

As for Caciedo I would say that he wasnt given enough of a chance last year and this year when Ade goes to Africa I would be happy to see him and Rocky battle it out for the position.
As for Lahm I've only seen him in the euro's myself and he looked quite good then whereas Benzama looked pretty shit however there were people on here who convinced me that Benzama was the real deal.
Similarly I think that we should accept that a lot of people who supposedly know rate Lahm and it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a punt on him.
By the way Roberto Carlos was great
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mr Miyagi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Vhero wrote:

As for Lahm I've only ever seen him for Germany and he looked good then. Anyone else have any views?

I only heard good things so I dunno I never watched him myself so wouldn't put my life on it or anything.

That's the problem with Lahm. Everyone has only seen him on bloody Youtube and he looks like bees knees. However he gets regularily skinned by average wingers in German league, usually twice or three times a game. He makes Bridge look like Pearce as defender. More or less the same was the case with Roberto Carlos, who for me was THE most overrated player EVER.

I'm with you on this one Antti. Luxury full back, which Bayern could afford to play when they were at their best. Wouldn't surprise me if they'd let hiom go and replace him with someone who can defend. This season everyone seems to be able to anyone in the German league, so I reckon that Bayern can't afford the luxury of having someone like Lahm as fullback.
In many respects he's like Emanuelson in Ajax, who's now been moved away from the fullback spot to instead play as one of the attackers in a 4-3-3!

I'm with you guys. Van Gaal has been there a few months and already spotted that Lahm is massively over-rated.

Here's what would happen every week in the premier league:
Manager says to his strikers: "pull out wide right if you can. Get on the shoulder of Lahm, you will easily outjump him for the far post header...."
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:21 pm

I have to say I've never disagreed with a post of yours to such a degree!

Lahm is quality and to say that Wayne Bridge is better in any way than him is crazy, let alone ten times better.... I watched that game last night and I thought Lahm did reasonably well although Juve fell apart in second half, however I have seen him play immensely in other games.

As for Caicedo, I already said that we have nothing to lose by having him back, but big Phil has a long way to go to prove he is on the same level as RSC and I'm quite sure every other player and manager would agree with this.

Have you watched RSC as closely as you watched Lahm? Or is your opinion based on one of the two starts he has made for us?
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Vhero wrote:

I only heard good things so I dunno I never watched him myself so wouldn't put my life on it or anything.

That's the problem with Lahm. Everyone has only seen him on bloody Youtube and he looks like bees knees. However he gets regularily skinned by average wingers in German league, usually twice or three times a game. He makes Bridge look like Pearce as defender. More or less the same was the case with Roberto Carlos, who for me was THE most overrated player EVER.

I'm with you on this one Antti. Luxury full back, which Bayern could afford to play when they were at their best. Wouldn't surprise me if they'd let hiom go and replace him with someone who can defend. This season everyone seems to be able to anyone in the German league, so I reckon that Bayern can't afford the luxury of having someone like Lahm as fullback.
In many respects he's like Emanuelson in Ajax, who's now been moved away from the fullback spot to instead play as one of the attackers in a 4-3-3!

I'm with you guys. Van Gaal has been there a few months and already spotted that Lahm is massively over-rated.

Here's what would happen every week in the premier league:
Manager says to his strikers: "pull out wide right if you can. Get on the shoulder of Lahm, you will easily outjump him for the far post header...."

Although they won their crucial champs league game last night - in which Van Gaal placed his trust in this player you seem to think he feels is overrated - Van Gaal's position will be "reviewed" in the winter, whereas the only way Lahm's position will change will be if someone comes in with a damn good price for him, so I wouldn't be hanging on anything Van Gaal says. Thank God we didn't get him in as coach.

John68 you old bastard - I consider any player from outside The British isles to be foreign.
Original Dub

Postby dazby » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:09 pm

I've seen Lahm play 4 times. 4 goals have been scored in these matches as a result of him not defending properly.

I've yet to see him have a good game.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:31 pm

dazby wrote:I've seen Lahm play 4 times. 4 goals have been scored in these matches as a result of him not defending properly.

he does have kind of a huge ass tho, which we're missing since Dunne's departure. So that box gets checked if we add him. Surely you can appreciate that aspect of this, no?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mase » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:34 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
dazby wrote:I've seen Lahm play 4 times. 4 goals have been scored in these matches as a result of him not defending properly.

he does have kind of a huge ass tho, which we're missing since Dunne's departure. So that box gets checked if we add him. Surely you can appreciate that aspect of this, no?

cheers

We're getting Big Phil back in Jan though mate. That should take care of that.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Original Dub » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:19 pm

MaseCTID wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

We're getting Big Phil back in Jan though mate. That should take care of that.

Trevor Sinclair had the biggest ass at this club for many a year
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum