African Cup of Nations & Wayne Bridge

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

African Cup of Nations & Wayne Bridge

Postby ant london » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:22 am

being injured takes out three of our "first team" for a month.

Obviously this month also encompasses a couple of reasonably important games.

Syvinho in for Bridgey seems like the obvious switch but in terms of the rest of the set-up....what would be the team and formation you'd line up with?

Who comes in for Toure? Nedum? Kompany? Micah?

What about up top? Is it time to give Roque a run of matches to get sharp? What if Caicedo does come back? Would you be prepared to give the likes of Nimely and Mak some game time?

I don't know what I think quite yet.....but I think I would do this

------------------------------Given-----------------------------
Richards------------Kompany---Lescott-------------Sylvinho
----------------------------De Jong-----------------------------
SWP------------------------Ireland--------------------Robinho
------------------------Tevez-----------------------------------
--------------------------------Santa Cruz----------------------

In terms of options up attack-wise, we still have Bellamy, Weiss, Petrov (....and hopefully not Benjani) but it looks to me like time to have one of those young strikers on the bench for some games
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: African Cup of Nations & Wayne Bridge

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:01 am

I wouldn't bring in Santa straight away, I'd give Big Phil a game there first. If nothing materialises with him, then bring in RSC. If RSC comes in first, and isn't up to the job, then I think the boo-boys in the crowd may have an affect upon his game, making his performances even worse.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby ant london » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:06 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:I wouldn't bring in Santa straight away, I'd give Big Phil a game there first. If nothing materialises with him, then bring in RSC. If RSC comes in first, and isn't up to the job, then I think the boo-boys in the crowd may have an affect upon his game, making his performances even worse.

Yeah I haven't factored in Casio yet as (as I just posted elsewhere) as I haven't seen anything remotely concrete about him coming back as yet....have a search for the "story" and it seems like it originated in the UK per the article below but nothing other than "a source" quoted. I agree with what you say to be honest though.....although we have to put game time into RSC if we are to ever be able to properly judge whether he is of use to us

Sporting are hoping to terminate the loan agreement with Manchester City for striker Felipe Caicedo in January, according to reports in England.

The Ecuadorian has struggled to make an impact at Alvalade, having failed to find the net so far since joining the Lions on a one-year deal in August.

English paper The Daily Mirror claims the 21-year-old has been deemed surplus to requirements by Carlos Carvalhal, and Sporting hope to send the player back to Manchester in January.

The move comes days after it was announced that another summer capture, Miguel Angulo, was to leave the club after just 97 days in the capital.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:50 am

I'd say Ned in tourè's palce and if we get Caicedo back then Caicedo up front, RSC on the bench ready to come on if there's need for more experience or if Caicedo is doing nothing.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:08 am

I honestly think there could well be another striker heading our way in January which would solve both the African Nations problem and RSCs fitness. Don't think Caicedo is the answer even in the short term. Time will tell I guess
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:42 pm

I think Caicedo would do same as last yr, score a few yet have most wondering what he does. No where near the overall play of Ade, but a solid bench player who could really develop especially with all the players we have around to help him learn.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby TrueBlue82 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 pm

With players like robinho, bellamy, tevez who can if needed occupy a strikers role, and if the big phil stopry is to be believed add him and Roque to that mix and it seems we have a decent selection for Jan.

howver only time will tell especially with the transfer window and any deals that are already in progress.
[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image[/center]
TrueBlue82
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby walmai » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Ant - is yours a minority view re Barry?
Not worth a starting place?
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:56 pm

walmai wrote:Ant - is yours a minority view re Barry?

I think it's a quite common view. He started the season great, but most of us have been underwhelmed by his preformances of late. The Chelsea game was a step up, though.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

mr_nool wrote:

I think it's a quite common view. He started the season great, but most of us have been underwhelmed by his preformances of late. The Chelsea game was a step up, though.

I'm sorry Nooly but what a crock of bollocks...tiny minority view...Barry is class...he's just had niggling little injuries..
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:08 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

I'm sorry Nooly but what a crock of bollocks...tiny minority view...Barry is class...he's just had niggling little injuries..

OK, it's not an uncommon view and some of us have been underwhelmed. Better?

Biggest reason I've been overwhelmed, though, is that I had massive expectations. I really thought he'd be carrying the team in a Gerrard does Scouse sort of fashion.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 pm

mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Biggest reason I've been overwhelmed, though, is that I had massive expectations. I really thought he'd be carrying the team in a Gerrard does Scouse sort of fashion.

Mr Nool is right. Ability-wise Barry is up there with any midfielder in the squad. Performance-wise, he had been shit from the Villa game up to and including Liverpool away. Ireland, Barry and De Jong have all faced the chop at some point this season due to the superior form of the other two - the competition is brilliant.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:58 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Mr Nool is right. Ability-wise Barry is up there with any midfielder in the squad. Performance-wise, he had been shit from the Villa game up to and including Liverpool away. Ireland, Barry and De Jong have all faced the chop at some point this season due to the superior form of the other two - the competition is brilliant.

He's been carrying an injury you fucking retard!

Fucks sake this forum is unbelievable sometimes it really is
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby bluej » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:19 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

In which case he shouldn't be playing. Not sure why you had to go off one either.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:29 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

sorry mate, i usually think you're a good and level headed poster, but that's way out of line. (differing) opinons is what this forum is all about. personal abuse is what's bringing it down.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Mr Nool is right. Ability-wise Barry is up there with any midfielder in the squad. Performance-wise, he had been shit from the Villa game up to and including Liverpool away. Ireland, Barry and De Jong have all faced the chop at some point this season due to the superior form of the other two - the competition is brilliant.[/quote]

Fucks sake this forum is unbelievable sometimes it really is[/quote]

I wasn't having a go at either yourself or Gareth Barry and made what I thought was a fair point. The squad is strong and its competitive nature is highlighting even ordinary individual performances. If Barry was injured he should have said so for the sake of himself and the team.

Also, without wishing to descend to your level, I'd hazard a guess and say you've either got a very low IQ or you're just a total prick. Either way, wind your fucking neck in and have a bit of respect.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Twobob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:10 pm

If ... and I mean IF Ade and Toure got an injury that kept them out for a game or two before the ACN, would they stil be able to call them up if they became fit for, maybe, a couple of days before the Semi's ?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Dameerto » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:30 am

Twobob wrote:If ... and I mean IF Ade and Toure got an injury that kept them out for a game or two before the ACN, would they stil be able to call them up if they became fit for, maybe, a couple of days before the Semi's ?

The national team would probably engineer an 'injury' to one of their lesser players and make an emergency callup.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Goataldo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:Mr Nool is right. Ability-wise Barry is up there with any midfielder in the squad. Performance-wise, he had been shit from the Villa game up to and including Liverpool away. Ireland, Barry and De Jong have all faced the chop at some point this season due to the superior form of the other two - the competition is brilliant.

Fucks sake this forum is unbelievable sometimes it really is[/quote]

I wasn't having a go at either yourself or Gareth Barry and made what I thought was a fair point. The squad is strong and its competitive nature is highlighting even ordinary individual performances. If Barry was injured he should have said so for the sake of himself and the team.

Also, without wishing to descend to your level, I'd hazard a guess and say you've either got a very low IQ or you're just a total prick. Either way, wind your fucking neck in and have a bit of respect.[/quote]

Is that last bit meant to be hypocritical in an ironic kinda way?

Anyway, Barry hasn't set the world on fire as such, but I wouldn't expect him to carry the team like Gerrard as has been suggested cos he's not that sort of player. He has been carrying injuries, and he's been playing cos he can - most players play with injuries, it's daft to think they're all 100% all the time. Without wishing to condescend, anyone who's played football for a team shuld know that.

Hughes (or one of the coaching staff) has mentioned in interview that gazbaz has a problem with ihs groin, but the player knows his own body best and is sensible enough to knw when to say whther it prevents him playing or not.

I think he's played quite well without anything spectacular good or bad, tho mainly defensively, which might be why some of his good work goes unnoticed compared to the 'flair' players.

Btw we'll win 2-0 tomorrow, Tevez with both.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Goataldo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Well I ballsed up the quotey bit there didn't I. But you get the gist.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum