Dean Ashton retires

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Dean Ashton retires

Postby Crossie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:50 pm

At 26!!

Jesus, apparently cant get over his ankle injury.

Glad we didnt sign him and puts Westham in more shit i guess, unless theres some sort of insurance in place? However I bet they didnt have a no claims bonus carried over when they bought him!

*Edit, it was our very own SWP who made the tackle during England training, that led to the injury thats made him retire, whoops. Bet SWP feels pretty bad for him
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Re: Dean Ashton retires

Postby walmai » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:56 pm

There are some silly rumours going around that he's considering legal action - against SWP - but I doubt that this is possible.

His ankle was affected by some form of Syndrome, further to the initial treatment for the injury on international duty. I can't quote chapter and verse, but some form of growth occurs occasionally on the bone, if it is mending itself further to trauma such as a break. This enlargement isn't malign in a conventional sense, but it makes high performance athleticism practically impossible and can lead to cartilage wastage.

In the end, he retired to avoid going around in a wheelchair in his 30-40's.

A great shame, because on his day he had the skills to pay the bills. I have resisted an all-too familiar foray onto Youtube.

I don't know about insurance; he won't be going short, I rather imagine.

Ho hum.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby blues-clues » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:09 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... lenge.html

This seems a bit light on any facts about the challenge from SWP on Ashton but has anyone ever made a successful claim against a player? I thought it was always against the club??

Didn't Haaland drop his claim against K(unt)eane on legal advice that he wouldn't win. Surely and accidental challenge in training is going to be much harder to make a claim than what was blatant assault that should have seen the twat serve time.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 pm

shame, Ashton was a good player and was linked with us more times than I care to remember. He certainly dumped us out of the FA cup single handedly.

I am sure he has a lovely amount of cash that any normal person would faint at.

Good luck Dean

PS: Wasnt he rumoured to be a city fan?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:12 pm

Ashton was a very good player IMHO,he always gave us a right going over.

Shame its over for him but like Walmai said he wont be on the dole any time soon.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Shame this i, he had alot of potencial to be a top striker in the Prem, that overhe ad kick at The Swamp about 2 years ago showed what he was capable off, not to mention knocking us out of the F.A Cup on his own in 2006.

Good luck to the lad.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:39 pm

walmai wrote:There are some silly rumours going around that he's considering legal action - against SWP - but I doubt that this is possible.

His ankle was affected by some form of Syndrome, further to the initial treatment for the injury on international duty. I can't quote chapter and verse, but some form of growth occurs occasionally on the bone, if it is mending itself further to trauma such as a break. This enlargement isn't malign in a conventional sense, but it makes high performance athleticism practically impossible and can lead to cartilage wastage.

A great shame, because on his day he had the skills to pay the bills. I have resisted an all-too familiar foray onto Youtube.

Ho hum.

gutted for Hammers fans really...he had so much promise.

About that little Hines kid? How much for him?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hazy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Quality player, fine centre forward, and a blue ?
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, he's still very young and to have to end his career this way is a pity.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Bad news walmai, Quality player when he was fit and on form. I remember desperately wanting us to sign him under Pearce when he scored against us for Norwich. Then the bastard knocked us out of the FA Cup quarters for you lot ! :-)
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby walmai » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:52 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
walmai wrote:There are some silly rumours going around that he's considering legal action - against SWP - but I doubt that this is possible.

Ho hum.

gutted for Hammers fans really...he had so much promise.

About that little Hines kid? How much for him?

cheers

Hines? Might go all the way, although clearly needs to bulk up a bit before moving on to a better club!
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby shawzy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Quality player.What a shame his career was cut so short.The Prem and WHU will surely miss his class :-(
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:31 pm

walmai wrote:Hines? Might go all the way, although clearly needs to bulk up a bit before moving on to a better club!

Let's hope he's not another Sturridge in the making
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:34 pm

shawzy wrote:Quality player.What a shame his career was cut so short.The Prem and WHU will surely miss his class :-(

Completely forgot to put something similar in my reply, couldn't agree more. Likeable guy who got dealt a bad hand of injuries, let's hope that Johnno is not the next English player to be forced out of the game early
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Lev Bronstein » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:03 pm

walmai wrote:His ankle was affected by some form of Syndrome, further to the initial treatment for the injury on international duty. I can't quote chapter and verse, but some form of growth occurs occasionally on the bone, if it is mending itself further to trauma such as a break. This enlargement isn't malign in a conventional sense, but it makes high performance athleticism practically impossible and can lead to cartilage wastage.

Didn't Bischoff have a similar problem.

Poor Dean, over when he'd just started to get going.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby City1970 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Wonderwall wrote:shame, Ashton was a good player and was linked with us more times than I care to remember. He certainly dumped us out of the FA cup single handedly.

Good luck Dean

He was a scum fan. He was interviewed by the local crewe paper when he played for the alex, said it was his lifes dream to play for em.

Met him a couple of times in local pubs and clubs. His opinion of himself was, shall we say, overwelming.
Manchester City - F**king up U****d since 2009
City1970
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Err...guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:31 am

Walmai what happened to that promising black kid you got from Italy?! Didn't you get rid after just a few months?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby pears12 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:24 am

That is unfortunate for Dean Ashton, he was a quality player and it is bad that injuries caused him to retire...

I seem to remember Ben Collet (rags) took legal action against a boro player for a challenge that effectively ended his career, he ended up in season 1 of A-league playing for NZ knights.
pears12
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby King Kev » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:38 am

Ashton has played 40 games since SWP injured him. I understand that the break could have caused a degenerative condition in the bone but it would be difficult to argue that this ended his career when he has played so many games since the incident. It's not like the injuries to Bell and Lake where they played a few games but kept breaking down again.

The other thing to consider is that West Ham gave him a new 5 year contract last year. Surely they would have given him a medical examination before committing to such an investment?

It's a shame he has had to retire but I feel confident that he is financially stable and doesn't need to go making crazy claims of compensation against SWP, The FA or anybody else. The only people he should be claiming from are his insurers.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 am

City1970 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:shame, Ashton was a good player and was linked with us more times than I care to remember. He certainly dumped us out of the FA cup single handedly.

Good luck Dean

He was a scum fan. He was interviewed by the local crewe paper when he played for the alex, said it was his lifes dream to play for em.

Met him a couple of times in local pubs and clubs. His opinion of himself was, shall we say, overwelming.

thanks for that mate, I never knew he supported them......fuck him
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum