Hughes set for Transfer talks with Khaldoon al-Mubarak

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Hughes set for Transfer talks with Khaldoon al-Mubarak

Postby Colin the King » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:06 pm

We have an excellent squad full of International players, even with injuries we're more than capable of sending out a team good enough to beat anyone. Spending money when things aren't going well just papers over the cracks- the reality is we should be doing better with THESE players and there's absolutely no guarantee that a further £80-100million is going to make everything alright. Time and a good standard of coaching is what makes a good team a brilliant one.

I'm sure most teams would love to have the squad depth we do- most have nowhere near it.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby mr_nool » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Colin the King wrote:We have an excellent squad full of International players, even with injuries we're more than capable of sending out a team good enough to beat anyone. Spending money when things aren't going well just papers over the cracks- the reality is we should be doing better with THESE players and there's absolutely no guarantee that a further £80-100million is going to make everything alright. Time and a good standard of coaching is what makes a good team a brilliant one.

I'm sure most teams would love to have the squad depth we do- most have nowhere near it.

amen
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:10 pm

FFS, Liverpool have nowhere near it, we are one or two players away from having a title challenging squad but without the leadership necessary to mould them into a team.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Slim wrote:FFS, Liverpool have nowhere near it, we are one or two players away from having a title challenging squad but without the leadership necessary to mould them into a team.

Liverpool have been moulding together for substantially longer than our team mate and IF hughes isn't the problem then that is, its as simple as that.

It looks like they're going to give him the season at least. In fact, it looks like they have placed all their trust in him.... so if it takes another £50m or whatever to get this side to start winning shit under this man, then so be it. It is their money, he is the manager they seem to want and that's the way it is.

I've found myself questioning whether he is the right man of late, but this whole thing of "I've decided, its time for him to go" is just blowing hot air. When the owners have decided enough's enough then that's that, simple as.

As for his transfers, someone said earlier in the thread that he has bought great players but he doesn't know how to use them. So, if he buys more great players I don't see the problem.

Either they become the missing piece of the jigsaw and we start winning shit, or he gets the boot and the next manager knows how to use the great players Hughes bought and we start winning shit.

I don't give a fuck about Mark Hughes, I just want us to win tomorrow.
Original Dub

Postby 9secondlegend » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:30 pm

Colin the King wrote:We have an excellent squad full of International players, even with injuries we're more than capable of sending out a team good enough to beat anyone. Spending money when things aren't going well just papers over the cracks- the reality is we should be doing better with THESE players and there's absolutely no guarantee that a further £80-100million is going to make everything alright. Time and a good standard of coaching is what makes a good team a brilliant one.

the shortest most sensible post i have read for weeks
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:33 pm

Original Dub wrote:I don't give a fuck about Mark Hughes, I just want us to win tomorrow.

There was something I wanted to get back to you on but I was banned at the time and I forgot...but I did remember the caption answer I thought was quite good....anyway.

Let's say tomo is D-day for Hughes. Win and he has the season, lose and he is gone.

We win, get knocked out of the semi final to the filth, lose the boro in the fa cup and finish 9th.

or

We lose, get Hiddink(or whoever, he aint my choice but that's not the point either), get to the final of the league cup, final of the fa cup and finish 4th in the league. Now knowing all this, would you want us to lose tomorrow?

I am not going to spring the AHA! thing on you, but when Riggers said this I think this was his point, obviously he has a crystal ball of some type because win or lose tomorrow I couldn't tell you what May would bring, but if he believes the second scenario was more likely under a new manager then I think that was the basis for his thoughts behing 'the greater good'. And welcome back off the foe list.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Trautmann » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 am

I would be interested to see what the results would be if we ran a thread in which members rated each player for their cumulative performance so far ----it would be interesting to see who gets above 7, and why. A cumulative score for the squad as a whole would also be interesting.

I haven't seen all the games, including Spurs, but I feel that most players would stand up well, when taken out of the context of their most recent game. There might be a few who are open to question, and I wonder which of these are carrying injuries that have prevented them from being their best.

My guess is that out of this we would point to a need for a strong centre back in the January window. It might also indicate that a couple of players need to move on. Otherwise it would likely show a team that is already good enough to compete for top 4 status.
Trautmann
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Superman's Underpants

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:50 am

as usual you said exactly what I was going to say, only better.

We have squad that is envy of whole league. Filled with skill and talent. Both quality and quantity. We do NOT need more players.

I fear that Hughes would anyway bulk the squad up with players that are on high wages and who next manager will need to get rid of like Matt Upson or David Bentley.

He has had every chance to bring in HIS players and now it's time to deliver rather than concentrating on getting even more players. Right now it seems that Hughes is unlikely to be here next season anyway and we will not have Champion's League football in offer, so it will be hard to attract top class additions anyway.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:01 am

Slim wrote:
Original Dub wrote:I don't give a fuck about Mark Hughes, I just want us to win tomorrow.

There was something I wanted to get back to you on but I was banned at the time and I forgot...but I did remember the caption answer I thought was quite good....anyway.

Let's say tomo is D-day for Hughes. Win and he has the season, lose and he is gone.

We win, get knocked out of the semi final to the filth, lose the boro in the fa cup and finish 9th.

or

We lose, get Hiddink(or whoever, he aint my choice but that's not the point either), get to the final of the league cup, final of the fa cup and finish 4th in the league. Now knowing all this, would you want us to lose tomorrow?

I am not going to spring the AHA! thing on you, but when Riggers said this I think this was his point, obviously he has a crystal ball of some type because win or lose tomorrow I couldn't tell you what May would bring, but if he believes the second scenario was more likely under a new manager then I think that was the basis for his thoughts behing 'the greater good'. And welcome back off the foe list.

Do not normally bother to make comment like this - feel I am being a bit of a forum policeman or smartarse - but are you not deviating from the thread here into something that should be in the Hughes thread or the manager thread

Anyway back on topic - I am with OD here - I would certainly bring in a top RB on the 1st day of the window - possibly a LB and CM - but the RB is very important
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:06 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
Slim wrote:

or

Do not normally bother to make comment like this - feel I am being a bit of a forum policeman or smartarse - but are you not deviating from the thread here into something that should be in the Hughes thread or the manager thread

Anyway back on topic - I am with OD here - I would certainly bring in a top RB on the 1st day of the window - possibly a LB and CM - but the RB is very important

Smart? No. Second part is right though. Maybe you should quote Dub's comment that I quoted and apply the same "policing" to him, but it's less about the post and more about the poster with you...sad little obsessed child.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:36 am

Slim wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
Slim wrote:

or

Smart? No. Second part is right though. Maybe you should quote Dub's comment that I quoted and apply the same "policing" to him, but it's less about the post and more about the poster with you...sad little obsessed child.

Slim - I was mainly just joking - but on the Poll thread - you pulled me up this morning for deviating from the OP and expressing an opinion in reply to another poster's point - I was just (amusingly I thought) pointing out that this is exactly what you are doing here (so double standards?)- and therefore the policing / smartarse comment was (clearly I thought) pointing out to you that this was just how your behaviour in the poll thread came across

Therefore it follows that the "...but it's less about the post and more about the poster with you...sad little obsessed child" quote also more applies to you - as it was you that did this and me only (jokingly I thought) pointing this out (BTW - as feedback - it is normally at the point where you are in the wrong that you start to get abusive and personal I have noticed)

Chill a bit mate and stop taking yourself so seriously - this is a day when CITY are going to get back on track - enjoy it
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:46 am

mcfc1632 wrote:Therefore it follows that the "...but it's less about the post and more about the poster with you...sad little obsessed child" quote also more applies to you - as it was you that did this and me only (jokingly I thought) pointing this out (BTW - as feedback - it is normally at the point where you are in the wrong that you start to get abusive and personal I have noticed)

Chill a bit mate and stop taking yourself so seriously - this is a day when CITY are going to get back on track - enjoy it

Ohhhhh, none for two...actually three, but Wonderwall deleted a bunch of posts before he gave up trying, and just to stop you thinking that it's all about you, they weren't.

Slim wrote:The poll was created when we were two months without a win, it was hardly foolish and ill-timed considering that before it was changed to a three choice version, it was 65% in favour of replacing him. And if you look at the season as a whole, with the exception of a couple of results, we haven't really lived up to our expectations. However in the first post I did say this wasn't a debate over anything and was just for people to vote, as we have hit 6 pages now I guess you and a few others are more interested in hearing their own trumpet than listening to others.

And your 'taking it on the chin' holds very little weight, your comments have since offered enough proof that you have no concept of how to 'take one on the chin'. Maybe something for you to work on?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:00 am

Slim wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:Therefore it follows that the "...but it's less about the post and more about the poster with you...sad little obsessed child" quote also more applies to you - as it was you that did this and me only (jokingly I thought) pointing this out (BTW - as feedback - it is normally at the point where you are in the wrong that you start to get abusive and personal I have noticed)

Ohhhhh, none for two...actually three, but Wonderwall deleted a bunch of posts before he gave up trying, and just to stop you thinking that it's all about you, they weren't.

Slim wrote:The poll was created when we were two months without a win, it was hardly foolish and ill-timed considering that before it was changed to a three choice version, it was 65% in favour of replacing him. And if you look at the season as a whole, with the exception of a couple of results, we haven't really lived up to our expectations. However in the first post I did say this wasn't a debate over anything and was just for people to vote, as we have hit 6 pages now I guess you and a few others are more interested in hearing their own trumpet than listening to others.

And your 'taking it on the chin' holds very little weight, your comments have since offered enough proof that you have no concept of how to 'take one on the chin'. Maybe something for you to work on?

You actually remind me of my Mrs, but I suspect she has better legs than you... but she simply has to have the last word and rambles around in discussion saying pointless things even when she knows that she is in the wrong etc

Your quote about taking it on the chin is an example - it is just a bunch of words vaguely arranged into something resembling a sentence

I say:

"I absolutely take it on the chin that we have a Hughes thread and things should be contained to there - although that rule does not seem to be strictly followed by those of a certain persuasion - see the "if you could choose a manager thread...." - and I agree that this thread was not for 'opinions' - / 'detail' - so I have made a mistake by responding to a post from another member- but heh ho - was really a hanging offence was it??"....

i.e. that my replying post was against the original thread subject - how can I be clearer?? - you perhaps should have just said something like.. "...yes I agree I have done the same that I earlier pulled you up for...."

Its perhaps not as strong a point as 'having a pair' - but it would display to us all that you are capable of ever ever admitting to be less than 100% correct on everything you post - that is an attribute that would add weight to your other posts...

Anyway my lift to the game is in the drive so I will leave it to you to come back with the last word... (hint, with my Mrs when she eventually runs out of ways of defending the bollocks she stated in the first place...she normally makes some sharp / abusive comment and flounces off to the shops....) it works for her
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:04 am

King Kev wrote:
Redna wrote:It all evolves 'round Robbie. He's not for real in the wet circumstances and was not Sparkys move. When things clear up We might see a true dawn. Not to mention the debacle in Copenhagen which might open up a freight terminal just north-west Altricham.
CTID!!
Wow! I didn't understand a word of that!!

Yeah, he lost me too after the first sentence. But on the Robbie matter, I was utterly surprised to see him start at WHL, for if there was any match crying out that it is not the right one for Robbie to start, it was this one. We saw his away performances last season and especially in cold and wet conditions and the whole they were abysmal. So why start him against Spurs. Wishfull thinking on MH's part methinks. And he didn't dissapoint by having one of his worst performances in a City shirt.
Robbie is not a winger no matter what MH thinks and if he still wanted to play him, then it should have been behind Ade with Tevez going right in the absence of SWP. Petrov shud have started on the left and he proved to be much more effective in the brief cameo he had.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:10 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
King Kev wrote:
Redna wrote:It all evolves 'round Robbie. He's not for real in the wet circumstances and was not Sparkys move. When things clear up We might see a true dawn. Not to mention the debacle in Copenhagen which might open up a freight terminal just north-west Altricham.
CTID!!
Wow! I didn't understand a word of that!!

Yeah, he lost me too after the first sentence. But on the Robbie matter, I was utterly surprised to see him start at WHL, for if there was any match crying out that it is not the right one for Robbie to start, it was this one. We saw his away performances last season and especially in cold and wet conditions and the whole they were abysmal. So why start him against Spurs. Wishfull thinking on MH's part methinks. And he didn't dissapoint by having one of his worst performances in a City shirt.
Robbie is not a winger no matter what MH thinks and if he still wanted to play him, then it should have been behind Ade with Tevez going right in the absence of SWP. Petrov shud have started on the left and he proved to be much more effective in the brief cameo he had.

We will only see the real Rob if he is more central - laying balls in for Tevez / Ade / Bellers, I would like to something like, Given, back four, de jong (or Barry), Ireland (or Barry) with Rob - with the 3 in front - needs FBs that can provide width which is one (of many) reasons that Micah is not an option for me
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:27 am

mcfc1632 wrote:but she simply has to have the last word and rambles around in discussion saying pointless things even when she knows that she is in the wrong etc

I see it's rubbed off on you. Taking it on the chin? You are doing it wrong and every inch of it like a spoilt woman.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:29 am

I understand your sentiments mate and agree with it in part, but do you not feel that we could/need to strengthen in certain positions. For instance, Lescott is out for upto 8 weeks and with Kolo away on international duty, does that not pose a problem for our central defense going into the new year, especially considering that we only have 3 recognised CB?

You may say we do not need any signings and we need a good standard of coaching, but without anyone to coach, it's a little pointless isn't it?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby zuricity » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:37 am

Unlike the petty ramblings on this thread. It will probably be a very quick discussion. I can't see Khaldoon giving him any more money myself.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Original Dub » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Slim wrote:

or

Hold on one cotton picking minute - I'll answer whatever you want me to but what do you mean welcome back off the foe list?
Original Dub

Postby ant london » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:59 pm

He had a little foeing frenzy...and is having some kind of episode and telling people that he's foed them or unfoed them.

I'd imagine that you are supposed to be honoured that he now deigns to read your offerings once more.

You lucky thing
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum