Wenger's Saturday B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Wenger's Saturday B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:37 am

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is set to be axed this weekend - even if his side beat Sunderland at Eastlands on Friday.The Sun
Russia boss Guus Hiddink and former Germany manager Jurgen Klinsmann are on Manchester City's wanted list to replace Hughes.The Sun http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... -chop.html

But City striker Carlos Tevez has urged the club not to "panic" and sack Hughes with former Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini waiting in the wings to take over. Daily Telegraph

WENGER WON'T RULE OUT MAN CITY MOVE BOLLOX
Starsport revealed yesterday that moneybags Man City had made the Arsenal boss their No.1 target to replace Mark Hughes, with Russia chief Guus Hiddink next in line. City’s football administrator and former Arsenal star Brian Marwood has persuaded owner Sheikh Mansour that Frenchman Wenger is the man to take the club into the big time. Wenger said: “I live every day thinking I will stay my whole life where I am, but somewhere I know it can end.

“It’s funny because the older you get the more you’re conscious of that.” Wenger said he planned to honour his contract, which runs until the end of next season. Pressed if he ever thought of managing another club, he added: “Well, I don’t know yet, frankly. I’ve never decided yet. “If Arsenal say to me, ‘You’ve got to go,’ I will say I’d still like to work in football, of course.” The Gunners face Hull tonight with Wenger admitting defeat by Phil Brown’s team early last season was “devastating”. The Tigers won 2-1 at the Emirates and Wenger added: “It had a major impact on our belief because if we had won this game we were top of the league. “Somewhere the players thought, ‘If we cannot beat Hull, maybe we not cannot win the league’. “That was completely wrong, maybe, but it was the start of a bad period. And now we are at the start of a good period.” Meanwhile, Wenger defended his attack on Wolves boss Mick McCarthy for fielding a second string at Manchester United on Tuesday, by insisting other bosses are too scared to back him. Instead, his outburst drew criticism from other top-flight managers, with Stoke’s Tony Pulis accusing him of “moaning like a drain”. Wenger said: “I am one of the few who says what he really thinks.
“It makes common sense what I said but many people, because they don’t want aggravation, don’t say a word.”

WAG OF THE DAY - Alicia Rickter
http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... ia-rickter

Mark Hughes on the brink of exit from Manchester City• Manchester City have won only one league game in 10
Mark Hughes's grip on the manager's job at Manchester City appeared increasingly weak last night amid reports that the club are working to line up a replacement and that the Welshman could be sacked even if City win at home to Sunderland today. Hughes's position has come under increased scrutiny after Wednesday's 3-0 defeat at Tottenham. The performance and the fact that City have won only once in 10 Premier League matches have heightened the prospect of Hughes losing the job he took in June 2008.

It had been expected Hughes would be granted at least three games – against Sunderland, Stoke City and Wolverhampton Wanderers – to show he remains the man to lead City into the grand era envisaged by their wealthy owners. But there are widespread suggestions that he could be forced out, possibly this weekend, regardless of the outcome against Sunderland. City's owner, Sheikh Mansour, is said to regard a top-four finish as well within the club's grasp in a season when Liverpool look vulnerable. He allowed Hughes to spend lavishly last summer and the manager wants funds to strengthen his defence next month.

Candidates to take over at Eastlands would include José Mourinho, the Internazionale and former Chelsea manager; the out-of-work former Germany coach Jürgen Klinsmann; Roberto Mancini, who has been without a job since leaving Inter; and Guus Hiddink.

Yesterday the City forward Carlos Tevez, a summer signing after leaving Manchester United, called for Hughes to be granted more time. "The reason I joined was because I believe in his vision," he was quoted by the Telegraph. "I believe in what he had to say. I support him 100% because I believe that we have made great progress towards reaching our goal. "Clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and even Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa have spent years building and not all of those clubs have appeared in the Champions League. "But every one of those clubs thinks that it is progressing and moving in the right direction. It is the same at Manchester City. It was not too many years ago that Manchester City were nearer to the bottom of the table and so we have made tremendous leaps because today we are no longer thinking about anything other than success and rightly so.

"This is the mentality and desire that correctly exists in the team. We all have the mentality to have tremendous success and this is something that Mark has drilled into us. We need to drive on but we need to be a bit patient. You cannot achieve success overnight."

Sunderland's manager, and Hughes's former Manchester United teammate Steve Bruce, also called for City's owners to give their manager more time.

We back Mark Hughes: Carlos Tevez hits out over pressure on under-fire Manchester City boss
Carlos Tevez led an impassioned defence of Mark Hughes from the Manchester City dressing room that proves the players are firmly behind their manager. City’s in-form Argentina striker, spoke out as the side reel from their 3-0 defeat at Tottenham.

Reports that City chief executive Garry Cook asked Guus Hiddink’s agent about the Dutchman’s plans beyond next summer have undermined Hughes’ position at a critical time. But Tevez said: ‘It would be a massive backward step for this club if Mark Hughes leaves now. We need calm and stability to take the club forward. People should not panic. ‘When I agreed to join Manchester City, Mark told me it was about making progress. I believe in what Mark told me then and I believe what he tells me now. I am shocked that this is even a question.’

Tevez believes there is one rule for City and another for clubs like Aston Villa and Tottenham.

He said: ‘Clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and even Tottenham and Aston Villa have been building for many years. Not all of those clubs have appeared in the Champions League, but every year they accept they are moving forwards and building towards something. 'It is the same at Manchester City. This club were contenders for relegation not long ago, so we need to be patient, but we need to drive on. You cannot have success overnight. ‘I understand the desire to be the best and I believe in the club — but I also believe in Mark Hughes. We will be a success, but we are at the beginning of this progress. ‘I am 100 per cent behind Mark. There is a great atmosphere and desire to achieve here, but it comes from the manager.’ City have drawn eight League games this season, but it wasn’t long ago that they showed their strength by defeating Chelsea.

‘We have not started so badly,’ said Tevez. ‘Every Premier League team will say they can improve and we are the same. ‘The team are in transition, with lots of new players settling in. We have injuries, but we must overcome this and advance.
'This will not happen straight away. I will give the team and Mark 100 per cent. Mark told me when I was speaking to him in the summer that this would take time and so I’m not surprised.’ While City’s Arab owners have consistently pledged their support to Hughes, news of Cook’s chat with Cees van Nieuwenhuizen would appear to indicate otherwise. It is not known if Cook was acting alone. In spite of Van Nieuwenhuizen leaking details of City’s interest in Hiddink, Hughes is believed to have the support of the most senior power brokers at the club. Hughes held a meeting with his squad yon Friday and went through a video of Wednesday’s chastening defeat at Tottenham, with the players said to have accepted responsibility for their worst performance of the season.

Robinho remains his biggest headache, and the Brazilian’s sulky exit down the tunnel on Wednesday night after his lamentable performance was cut short after an hour has once again raised questions over how long Hughes can indulge his £34million record signing. City maintain Robinho will not be allowed to leave in January, but the former Real Madrid striker is clearly angling for a move back to Spain, and Barcelona reiterated their desire to sign him on loan. Joan Oliver, Barca’s chief executive officer, said: ‘The question is not if there is a possibility, the question is when? ‘The fact is that, as yet, nothing is complete. But it’s true that we would be interested in Robinho playing for Barcelona, but only if we can have a loan agreement and not one to buy the player.’ Meanwhile, Pablo Zabaleta has agreed a new four-and-a-half year deal at Eastlands

Mark Hughes has admitted he can understand why Sir Alex Ferguson did not identify him as a potential manager. Ferguson recently revealed he did not believe 'in a million years' that the Welshman would become a boss when he was a player with Manchester United. Hughes accepts that during his playing days he was a quiet and reserved character who may not have stood out as management material. However, he has proved his credentials with spells in charge of Wales, Blackburn and now Manchester City.

"It is 15 years ago," Hughes said of Ferguson's verdict. "There is a lot of change and development in me as a football person in that time. "Sir Alex is basing his opinion on what he saw in me as a player. At that time he was probably right in saying he couldn't see me as a manager. I would like to think I have changed and proved I am capable in that respect. "Yes, there are certain players you think are more inclined to go into management. They are usually the ones who are loudest in the dressing room. "But it doesn't matter whether you shout and bawl, you have to say something of substance." Hughes is currently preparing his Man City side for Saturday's game against Sunderland, who have shown they can rise to the big occasion already this season.

"Sunderland are a good team this year and they will be difficult opponents," said Hughes. "They have a threat up front with Darren Bent and Kenwyne Jones."Bent is playing really well. You are always a little bit apprehensive about what he is able to produce."They have invested in the team and they have bought well. As a consequence they are a better side this year than they have been for quite some time."Tomorrow's game is going to be a big test for us."

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Tottenham hope to sign Arsenal target Marouane Chamakh on a free transfer, as the Bordeaux striker is out of contract at the end of the season. (Daily Mail)

Bolton insist that they will not cash in on defender Gary Cahill in the January transfer window. (Daily Star)

But with defender Joleon Lescott injured and Kolo Toure departing for the African Nations Cup in January, Manchester City are the latest club rumoured to be interested in Cahill.Daily Express

Arsenal want QPR wonderkid Raheem Sterling and are considering a player-plus-cash deal involving Gunners striker Jay Simpson.Daily Mirror

Gunners manager Arsene Wenger says the club will not be "busy" in the January transfer window, also urging football to get its financial house in order. Daily Telegraph

New QPR boss Paul Hart wants to make Gillingham's £1.5m-rated striker Simeon Jackson his first signing. Daily Mirror

Birmingham are stepping up their efforts to sign Schalke's Germany striker Kevin Kuranyi. Daily Mirror

And Birmingham manager Alex McLeish says he will bring in "two or three" new players in January as he looks to maintain their fine season. (The Independent)

Stoke City say they will listen to offers for striker James Beattie in January's transfer window after his dressing-room altercation with manager Tony Pulis.The Times:

Wolves are interested in West Bromwich Albion's Slovenia midfielder Robert Koren. (Daily Mail)

OTHER BOLLOX
West Ham's director of football Gianluca Nani is coming under pressure within the club to justify his signings, with the club languishing in the relegation zone. Daily Mirror

Former Northern Ireland and Fulham Lawrie Sanchez boss has declared an interest in the vacant manager's job at Reading. (The Times)

FINAL BOLLOX
The total amount in fines that Tottenham's players will have to pay for their secret Christmas party in Dublin is £1.3m. Daily Mirror
Last edited by Chinners on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Wenger's Saturday B*ll*x

Postby john68 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:32 am

So the reality would appear to be that our Honourable Sheiks just supply the cash and the good old British gutter media make the decisions.
A few weeks ago it was Wenger...It has been Phil Brown, Megson and Benitez....I wonder who it will be when the shite have finished with Hughes.
Maybe it is time that football clubs got together, refused to allow one newspaper any coverage at all and demand the sacking of their sports' editor.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby stinky pete » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:38 am

all these reporters get into games for free and get food and drink all in.
stinky pete
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: mcfc
My favourite player is: v kompany

Postby Chinners » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:17 am

SUMMARY BOLLOX
THE SUN: Mark Hughes is set to be axed this weekend - even if his Manchester City side beat Sunderland at Eastlands today.
Harry Redknapp will hammer his Spurs party boys after The Sun blew the whistle on their secret Christmas jaunt.

DAILY STAR: David Beckham and Jose Mourinho are set for dramatic returns to their former clubs after the Champions League draw threw up two last-16 stunners yesterday.

DAILY EXPRESS: Sir Alex Ferguson last night played down the hype over David Beckham's return to Manchester United, by refusing to even mention him in his reaction to the Champions League draw.

DAILY MIRROR: Mick McCarthy has slammed rival Premier League bosses like Arsene Wenger for meddling in Wolves' affairs.
Harry Redknapp will fine his Spurs stars £1.3 million for holding a secret party.

THE TIMES: Mark Hughes is losing his battle to keep his job at Manchester City, with the hierarchy working to line up a replacement.

David Beckham always said that he never wanted to leave Manchester United and yesterday the Champions League draw gave him the chance to make an emotional return to Old Trafford for the first time since he was effectively booted out by Sir Alex Ferguson more than six years ago.

DAILY TELEGRAPH: The showmen are back in town. The Special One at Stamford Bridge. Goldenballs at Old Trafford. Hilarious.
Friday's Champions League draw in Nyon was little short of a script conference for football's dream drama.

THE GUARDIAN: Carlo Ancelotti has vowed not to be provoked by Jose Mourinho's "mind games" after the draw for the knockout phase of the Champions League gave the Special One a mouth-watering return to Chelsea with Internazionale.

THE INDEPENDENT: When Jose Mourinho was asked last week about the possibility of facing Chelsea in the Champions League it was pointed out to him that it was Chelsea who had made his reputation.
"I don't know whether it was Chelsea who made my reputation," Mourinho mused, "or me who made Chelsea's reputation."
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Mr Bingo Caller » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Roberto Mancini to take over from Mark Hughes at Manchester City

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes during the Premier League match against Sunderland at The City of Manchester Stadium

Roberto Mancini is expected to be appointed as the new manager of Manchester City this evening once the club have announced the sacking of Mark Hughes. The club have announced that they will make a statement at 7.30pm this evening and it is expected that Hughes's 18-month reign will be brought to an end.

Sheikh Mansour, the City owner, believes the club's chances of finishing in the top four will be better served by a change of manager and was unprepared to stick with Hughes any longer after a poor run of results.

Mansour would like to have appointed a manager of the calibre of Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger but was unable to prise either from their respective clubs, Inter Milan and Arsenal. So he has decided to take what will be seen as a gamble by appointing a coach who has no experience of managing in the Premier League, even though he spent a brief spell as a player with Leicester City.

However, in a deal driven by the chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak, the City chairman who is a friend of the Italian, and with a winnable run of fixtures to come, the City hierarchy has moved swiftly to line up Mancini, who won the Scudetto three times with Inter Milan during his four years in charge before losing his job in the summer of 2008 to Mourinho.

It was unclear this afternoon whether Mancini had agreed a three-and-a-half year deal or a contract that runs until the end of the season with the promise of an extension if City qualify for the Champions League.

Mansour has been dismayed by what he perceives to be a lack of progress despite the £140 million investment on new players in the summer and is eager to ensure what he views as a unique opportunity to break into the top four is not missed. City beat Sunderland 4-3 on Saturday but Hughes, pointedly, did not celebrate any of the goals.

Mark Hughes timeline: His Manchester City highs and lows

4/6/2008 Mark Hughes appointed Manchester City manager

3/7/2008 Signs Brazilian Jo from CSKA Moscow for then club record £18m fee

17/8/2008 City lose opening league game away at Aston Villa 4-2

1/9/2008 Signs Robinho for £32.5 on deadline day after the club are taken over by Abu Dhabi United.

21/9/2008 Hammer Portsmouth 6-0 at Eastlands

24/9/2008 Brought back down to Earth by being knocked out of the Carling Cup in the second round by League One Brighton and Hove Albion on penalties.

22/11/2008 Beat Arsenal 3-0 with Robinho scoring a delightful chip

26/12/2008 Thump Hull 5-1 prompting Tigers Boss Phil Brown to give his team talk on the pitch

3/1/2009 Hughes under intense pressure after his side are beaten 3-0 at home by Nottingham Forest and knocked out of the FA Cup.

24/5/2009 City finish in 10th place having won only one of their last nine away League games of the season.

15/8/2009 His side start the season with a 2-0 away win at Blackburn Rovers after a summer of big money signings including Emmanuel Adebayor from Arsenal and Joleon Lescott from Everton.

12/9/09 City beat Arsenal 4-2 at Eastlands to extend their winning start to the season to four games

20/9/2009 Lose 4-3 in the Manchester derby to a late, late Michael Owen goal

30/11/2009 Club owners give Hughes their backing after run of below-par performances with the club drawing seven consecutive games.

2/12/2009 3-0 home defeat of Arsenal puts club in the Carling Cup semi finals against local rivals United.

5/12/2009 Beat Chelsea 2-1 at home to bring their run of league draws to an end

16/12/2009 Hughes once again put under pressure after his side surrender to Spurs at White Hart Lane, going down 3-0 to leave them in 8th place.

19/12/2009 Set to be sacked as City manager with Roberto Mancini replacing him.
TWO FAT NIPPLES WITH TASSELS
Mr Bingo Caller
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Tassel wearers

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:34 pm

BB there with the facts as always. Nice WAG too
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Return to The Maine Football forum