Mancini Confirmed As New Manager

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mancini Confirmed As New Manager

Postby patrickblue » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Nick wrote:
I've been pleasantly surprised by hughes. Always professional, ENGLISH, lost 2 games. Attacking play. Great start early on....

Oh i cant be arsed...

Im more worried about the fact that its mid season and involves a whole load of change right before a busy xmas period with quite alot of our best and in form players being fans of hughes. I smell another sven esque situation.

Which Taffy Hughes have you been surprised by.

Seriously though, I do share your sentiments
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Welcome Roberto. Wish you every success with us. Delighted with the appointment.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:12 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
KinkyKinkladze wrote:Best of lucky for Mancini, but we'll struggle this year, form wise go backwards (!) and he'll be gone in similar circumstances to Hughes.

All the best to Sparky. Even with the dissapointing run of recent form, I always believed in him.

How?

So long as he sets out a clear direction, and installs a defensive coach who can just get us organised, then its hard to see how we can go backwards from 9 goals conceded in a week.

How? You know all them games we drew, right? Yeah them ones. The ones we didn't lose. That's right. Now how can a draw possibly become worse? A defeat? Correct! Now about badly could a run of draws go? Yayyyy, that's right, a run of defeats!

We'll no longer be hard to beat. That's what I'm getting at. Mancini is not the man. I could've won what he did at Inter and I've got no legs.

Well with regards the very same draws, well had we been able to defend even at League 1 level, we would have won most of them - thats what fucking grates when you have a £200m first team awash with extreme talent and ability and a manager who is completely incapable of organising them into an effective unit.

Given all the talent at the manchester city manager's disposal, if we do achieve what realistically this squad of players are capable of, I can see many looking back over history and saying "I could've achieved what "insert manager name here" did at City.

I always said this about Hughes, which was the saddest indictment of his tenure - the owners provide the very best players in the world - all a manchester city manager has to do is provide the tactics and the motivation. Its not a big ask really - its the best job in football currently.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Toure was told and he was gash.

What do the italien blues think of it ?

we dont have time to rebuild a squad AGAIN. Peter reid, tony book.....................
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Patrick » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Skysports.com takes a look at Roberto Mancini's career to date after he replaced Mark Hughes as Manchester City manager.

1964: Born on November 27, Jesi, Italy.

1981: Makes debut for Bologna as 17-year-old and goes on to score nine goals in 30 matches in 1981/82 season.

1982: Signs for Sampdoria and begins 15-year love affair with the club. Scores four goals in 22 matches in his first season.

1985: Helps Samp to Coppa Italia triumph.

1988: Wins second Coppa Italia.

1989: Wins third Coppa Italia.

1989/90: Reaches double figures for first time in his career, scoring 11 goals in 31 games, but is on the losing side as Barcelona beat Samp 2-0 in European Cup Winners' Cup final in Gothenburg.

1991: Sampdoria win Scudetto for first time in club's history, with Mancini hitting 12 goals and forging impressive partnership with 19-goal striker Gianluca Vialli.

1992: Suffers disappointment as Samp lose 1-0 to Barcelona at Wembley in European Cup final.

1994: Wins fourth Coppa Italia with Samp.

Best haul

1996/97: Scores 15 goals in 33 Serie A games, equalling his best haul, before signing for Lazio.

1998: Helps Lazio win Coppa Italia.

1999: Wins second European title of his career as Lazio defeat Real Mallorca 2-1 in Birmingham, England.

1999/2000: Fails to score in 20 matches as Lazio win Scudetto and Coppa Italia and announces playing retirement after career which saw him represent Italy 36 times. Joins Lazio's coaching staff as Sven-Goran Eriksson's number two.

2001: January - Eriksson resigns and Mancini follows against wishes of Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti. Decides to make playing comeback with Leicester City in English Premiership and makes five appearances.

March 7 - Italian Football Federation president Gianni Petrucci allows Mancini to become Fiorentina coach despite not being in position of Serie A coaching badge.

June 13 - Earns first coaching honour as Fiorentina beat Parma 2-1 over two legs of Coppa Italia final.

2002: January 11 - Resigns with Fiorentina second-bottom of Serie A.

May 9 - Appointed Lazio coach.

2003: June - Lazio finish fourth in Serie A and qualify for the Champions League, despite severe financial difficulties which cast a shadow over the club's fine form on the pitch.

Coppa Italia
2004: May - Wins Coppa Italia, defeating Juventus 4-2 on aggregate over two legs.

July 7 - Takes over as coach of Inter Milan.
2004/2005: Leads Inter to Coppa Italia and Italian Supercup glory.

2005/2006: Again leads Inter to Coppa Italia and Italian Supercup success. Inter also awarded Scudetto after Juventus and AC Milan are stripped of points due to match-fixing scandal.

2006/2007 - Guides Inter to successful defence of Serie A title.

2008: March 11 - Announces he plans to leave Inter at end of season at post-match press conference following his side's Champions League exit at hands of Liverpool.

March 12 - Reverses his decision to leave Inter.

May 18 - Guides Inter to third consecutive Scudetto with 2-0 win over Parma.

May 24 - Mancini's Inter go down 2-1 to Roma in Coppa Italia final.

Meeting
May 27 - Mancini holds meeting with president Massimo Moratti after which his agent Giorgio de Giorgis claims club and coach have parted ways.

May 29 - Sacked as Inter coach.

September 9 - Named Serie A's top coach for the previous season, despite being sacked and replaced by Jose Mourinho at the San Siro.

2009: February 9 - Not considered a candidate to replace Luiz Felipe Scolari at Chelsea, according to his agent Giorgio De Giorgis.

May 31 - Mancini's agent says the Italian has not been approached by Sunderland.

July 4 - Mancini admits he is attracted by the Barclays Premier League.

September 28 - Mancini says he is prepared to bide his time as he is linked with League Two side Notts County.

December 19 - Manchester City confirm the departure of Mark Hughes, with Mancini immediately installed as his successor.
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 pm

still need to be convinced by mancini, hopefully he will prove me wrong.

if we had changed for a top class proven manager then ok, but we have acted to quickly in this case i think.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
KinkyKinkladze wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
KinkyKinkladze wrote:Best of lucky for Mancini, but we'll struggle this year, form wise go backwards (!) and he'll be gone in similar circumstances to Hughes.

All the best to Sparky. Even with the dissapointing run of recent form, I always believed in him.

How?

So long as he sets out a clear direction, and installs a defensive coach who can just get us organised, then its hard to see how we can go backwards from 9 goals conceded in a week.

How? You know all them games we drew, right? Yeah them ones. The ones we didn't lose. That's right. Now how can a draw possibly become worse? A defeat? Correct! Now about badly could a run of draws go? Yayyyy, that's right, a run of defeats!

We'll no longer be hard to beat. That's what I'm getting at. Mancini is not the man. I could've won what he did at Inter and I've got no legs.

Well with regards the very same draws, well had we been able to defend even at League 1 level, we would have won most of them - thats what fucking grates when you have a £200m first team awash with extreme talent and ability and a manager who is completely incapable of organising them into an effective unit.

Given all the talent at the manchester city manager's disposal, if we do achieve what realistically this squad of players are capable of, I can see many looking back over history and saying "I could've achieved what "insert manager name here" did at City.

I always said this about Hughes, which was the saddest indictment of his tenure - the owners provide the very best players in the world - all a manchester city manager has to do is provide the tactics and the motivation. Its not a big ask really - its the best job in football currently.

I dissagree, but meh, that's fair enough really. Nice to read a thought-out opinion on this though and not have to wade through the masses of shite being put forward as fact by some certain people.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Is this a joke? I was watching the game on bar and I'm on with me mobile. Official site seems to be down.

it's true mate, cue Blur Song 2 - WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I was thinking of settling on three pints but I reckon I'm going to take cab home and enjoy few ales to celebrate this.

have one on me brother :O)

a part timer and someone 400 miles away gloating that we've sacked our manager. again. in the most absurd circumstances I've ever seen. I feel sick.

gloating? Stop being such fucking knob. I think this move is best for the club in long term.

And in absurdity level this is nothing compared to Sven sacking. Can't remember you going berserk then.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Socrates wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Is this a joke? I was watching the game on bar and I'm on with me mobile. Official site seems to be down.

I was thinking of settling on three pints but I reckon I'm going to take cab home and enjoy few ales to celebrate this.

a part timer and someone 400 miles away gloating that we've sacked our manager. again. in the most absurd circumstances I've ever seen. I feel sick.

honestly tho how could you have expected a different reaction from either of them?

I was touched by his clap out of the fans at the end. Always a class act for us and sad he didn't get the job done.

Onwards and upwards I hope.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby leopoldo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Best of luck Roberto! Hopefully you will bring some class and tactical nous to the hotseat. Something the club and players desperately crave. How about bringing back a bloke called Jim Cassell now the Welsh mafia has gone?
leopoldo
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Socrates wrote:
Socrates wrote:

gloating? Stop being such fucking knob. I think this move is best for the club in long term.

And in absurdity level this is nothing compared to Sven sacking. Can't remember you going berserk then.

1) Celebrating with a few extra ales is gloating.
2) I was disgusted by the Sven sacking - that's archived.
3) don't call me a "fucking knob".
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby MHiggi » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:22 pm

I've had complete faith in the owners up until now, so I''m happy to trust their judgment about Mancini since I know very little about him. I have to say though that I'm surprised and disappointed with the way it's been handled today - it's going to bring us some very bad press.

Hopefully Roberto will be able to use the that to his advantage in the short term and then be with us for a long time to come. The Manchester City rollercoaster continues.
MHiggi
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Socrates » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Socrates wrote:
Socrates wrote:

I'm sure it's a lot more than 400 miles to Helsinki! Geographically ignorant as well as downright rude about me. I was a full timer when you were still in nappies sunshine and would LOVE to go to more games and can't wait until my health is good enough to start going more regularly. Now toddle off and come back when your balls drop. Thanks.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Blue Blood » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Welcome Roberto!

I wish you the best of luck!

Sort out the defense and you'll be an instant city legend!

Also...

Bring back Rolly, i miss him... and his scarf.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Original Dub » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Ok.

New Dawn, same support.

This could be the best thing to happen this board in the last few years.

All for one, one for all....

Finally!
Original Dub

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Socrates wrote:I was a full timer when you were still in nappies sunshine and would LOVE to go to more games and can't wait until my health is good enough to start going more regularly. Now toddle off and come back when your balls drop. Thanks.

I'm 24. You'd kill to have my balls.
And you're a part timer - have been for years mate - while i've been full time since 1996. live in London and still am.
let's face facts: I'll be there to welcome Mancini just as I was there to say goodbye to Hughes - 2 things you'd love to say.
Also, as emotive as your health may seem - if you can make it to Thailand, surely you can make it to Eastlands?
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Original Dub wrote:Ok.

New Dawn, same support.

This could be the best thing to happen this board in the last few years.

All for one, one for all....

Finally!

The king is dead, long live the king!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby bobadji » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Brian Kidd will be an excellent appointment. Mark my words.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Bluez » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Surely the big question is...how long should he get to improve things before he is considered not good enough?
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:33 pm

bobadji wrote:Brian Kidd will be an excellent appointment. Mark my words.

I agree that we need someone who has a clue about the premiership,
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum