what players will go now

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: what players will go now

Postby Blackadder2 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Interesting reading from the Fifa.com website, April 2006

When he arrived at Inter, at the age of 39, the financial situation was healthy, but the club, searching for an identity, had no real style of its own. Mancini succeeded Alberto Zaccheroni, who had resigned, becoming the 11th coach to take up the post at Inter Milan since the beginning of Moratti's presidency, and the seventh in the last five years.

In his first season, with a huge squad of 34 players to manage, he steered Inter to an Italian Cup victory, the Nerrazurri's first domestic trophy for 16 years. "It was very important for us to win this cup. After so many years of winning nothing, it gave both the players and the management a real boost," Mancini said.

Buoyed by this initial success, he reversed the previous Inter policy of signing big names who consistently failed to produce solid results. "A team consists of defenders who have to defend, midfielders who open up the game for the strikers, and forwards whose job it is to score goals. But sometimes the strikers can't score, and, in this case, they have to work for the team. We shouldn't be talking about individuals, we have to think about the team in general," emphasises Mancini, thereby putting an end to the policy of bringing in star players.

Inter have begun to recruit intelligently. The recipe is to buy team players: some are young and yet to mature fully, some are older and have sometimes been left out in the cold. In two years, for example, he has brought in four players from Real Madrid, with Solari, Walter Samuel, Luis Figo and Esteban Cambiasso all arriving since 2004. Mancini has also revived the career of Juan Sebastian Veron, who was talking of retiring from the game.

"Footballers are all alike"
The Inter squad under Mancini boasts no fewer than 15 South Americans, including captain Javier Zanetti. There are also Africans, among them the Nigerian Obafemi Martins, a Serb in Dejan Stankovic and a handful of Italians (five, to be precise). "As far as I'm concerned, they are all Inter players, and footballers are all alike," he said once after fielding an 11 without a single Italian player.

Mancini has nevertheless succeeded in creating a team out of this somewhat diverse group. For example, when striker Adriano went through a long lean spell, Mancini reaffirmed his confidence in him, stating: "He can raise his game when he has to". The result was that the Brazilian found the net in the home leg of the Champions League quarter-finals. When Christian Vieri left Inter to join AC Milan, Obafemi Martins took over the job, scoring goal after goal.

On occasion, Mancini lets loose his fiery temperament from the edge of the pitch, which has in the past led to conflict with referees. But he recovers himself very quickly, and is not prone to recrimination. Following a defeat, he said: "We played well. We shouldn't let one defeat demoralise us. It's what we achieve at the end of the season that counts."

He who dies with the most toys, wins.
Blackadder2
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:Bellamy, Ireland, SWP, Onuoha... pretty much everyone I like probably.

i don't believe that all those players will want to move on. You'll find one or two...and it might not even be those you'd suspect.

i'm most worried about Bellamy and Ireland tho...

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:20 pm

TomS wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:No player should want to leave City in the position we are currently no matter what their loyalty to Hughes might be.Whether Mancini gives all players a fair crack remains to be seen.Obvioulsy I hope he does . The big issue at present though isn't Robinho but the defence as we all know. We have been producing some great attacking displays but poor defending has got Hughes the sack.

Getting a top class defender in January will not be easy or will it just be Mancini will organise them better? Time will tell.

This one summs it (the whole story of the day) up for me.
To throw my hat into the ring, the main loyalty the player have today is not the manager, it is their account on the first of each month........

SPOT ON TOM!!

A PLAYER IS LOYAL TO HIS SALARY.
END OF.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Blueboylewis » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Garrido and Benjani. I cant see any more going.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby ashton287 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:53 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:I'm more worried about the ones who might want to go, the ones loyal to Hughes, after all a few followed him here, maybe they'd leave the richest club in the world on the verge of (yet another) new dawn.

Bellamy seems like an emotional chap to say the least, hopefully he and none of the other good players who work for the team will want to jump ship, or play for Hughes at another club. They'd be absolutely mad to obviously, but people are. With a bit of luck reason will dictate that they don't.

me and a mate joked about this before, literally the first thing we said after the mancini statement confirming it was "bellamy is gonna get on mancini's nerves" ha, mancini does appear to be very cultured and bellamy's had trouble's with alot of managers in the past and just looking at the two i cant see them having much to talk about. hopefully bellamy has finally realised that he's getting on and it's about time he started acting like a grown up and not ruining things for himself, the evidence is there to support the latter and he might just keep his head down, keep working hard and impress the manager and we wont have to worry about any "golfing incidents" and as for santa i'd be happy to see the back of him as we shouldn't of signed him in the first place
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Kladze » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:02 am

Socrates wrote:I would imagine that Leslie's inability to get the best out of Robinho might be a factor in his dismissal and that Mancini may well have been chosen as a coach he will respect.

Did it ever occur to you that Robinho just ISN'T THAT GOOD ?

Fuck it! I'm gonna logout for a few months again or some of the self-satisfied tripe you and yours post will drive me fucking crazy.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:09 am

Could mean if Robinho isn't world class pretty quickly Mancini could be under real pressure :)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby The Original Special One » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 am

Blackadder2 wrote:Interesting reading from the Fifa.com website, April 2006

Buoyed by this initial success, he reversed the previous Inter policy of signing big names who consistently failed to produce solid results. "A team consists of defenders who have to defend, midfielders who open up the game for the strikers, and forwards whose job it is to score goals. But sometimes the strikers can't score, and, in this case, they have to work for the team. We shouldn't be talking about individuals, we have to think about the team in general," emphasises Mancini, thereby putting an end to the policy of bringing in star players.

If he walks the walk, like he talks the talk, then we can look forward to our defence looking more like a Premier League defence in the near future, and not like the Dingly Dell Under 11 girls school team
The Original Special One

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:54 am

I would hope he gives everyone a clean slate. Robinho and Adebayor may flourish under the new manager, but if mancini has anything of the pragmatist about him he'll give Santa Cruz a good run in Jan and when Adebayor returns from angola ask him to up his game. If he doesn't, find a new club mate. Mancini, I'm sure, (I hope!) will know enough about the dynamics of English football not to try and impose his will too early on players that he knows are good players and can do a job for him, he'd be fucking mad. Only a twit like Souness does that.
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Mase » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:26 am

Maybe Robson will start getting played in his right position now though.
Also, Belamy left Rovers when Hughes was still the manager. Means nothing at all.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Socrates » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:09 am

The Original Special One wrote:
Blackadder2 wrote:Interesting reading from the Fifa.com website, April 2006

If he walks the walk, like he talks the talk, then we can look forward to our defence looking more like a Premier League defence in the near future, and not like the Dingly Dell Under 11 girls school team

Indeed. Bring on St Trinians...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Colin the King » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:28 am

There might be cause for concern in some respects but Ireland and Bellamy are both hard working professionals- as long as they're contracted to the club I have no doubt they'll put in the performances we expect from them. Let's not forget they were both exceptionally talented players under different managers- Benitez, Eriksson- they may get on better with Hughes than other coaches but that shouldn't and I wouldn't expect it to prevent them from playing a huge part in this, and future seasons.
Colin the King

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby xavi6 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:14 am

Socrates wrote:I would imagine that Leslie's inability to get the best out of Robinho might be a factor in his dismissal and that Mancini may well have been chosen as a coach he will respect.

What makes you think that Robinho will have any more respect for Mancini than he did Hughes?

Seeing as you're a man who deals in 'facts' then surely you must have one to back up this presumption.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby john68 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:46 am

Why should any of them want to leave?
They are all World beaters and now that Hughes has gone, they have no excuse if they don't actually beat the World.

I cannot wait for a reborn Joleon Lescott and a dominant Toure to IMMEDIATELY gel and guarantee all those clean sheets. Given could go on holiday, he won't be needed.

As Hughes was the only reason foR ALL our failures...and other teams are still dropping points all over the place...
we can look forward to being champions in a few months....
...All our problems are now sorted.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:25 am

I fear that we will have now seen the best of Craig Bellamy....don't think he'll agitate to leave (why would any of our incredibly paid players, at a great, growing club) want to leave just because their old manager has been replaced.

But i don't think all of them will respond to "the italian way". Bellamy being the one I fear for the most....I could be absolutely wrong and hope I am
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:31 am

ant london wrote:I fear that we will have now seen the best of Craig Bellamy....don't think he'll agitate to leave (why would any of our incredibly paid players, at a great, growing club) want to leave just because their old manager has been replaced.

But i don't think all of them will respond to "the italian way". Bellamy being the one I fear for the most....I could be absolutely wrong and hope I am

Yeh, I hope you're wrong as well Ant, because he has been phenomenal this season. His natural game is very well suited to the way we've been lining up. I guess it remains to be seen how Mancini sets his team and how the players Hughes assembled fit into this.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:18 am

Yeah mate, the reason I am concerned re Bellamy is that he's said time and again (as had the coaches) that they understood the fact that he knew his body and his needs (re training, rest, regularity of action) very well....and that the coaching staff were happy to be guided by that.

I am not aware of Inter having operated (under Mancini) any equivalent of the Milan Lab or having the kind of history of prolonging players' careers in the way that (say) Carlo Ancelotti does.

Craig has been sensational this year (yesterday being a prime example) and I will be gutted if that doesn't continue.

I am sure that the players were upset, frustrated and even furious at the decision last night. But the simple fact is, it is THEIR substandard performances, lapses in concentration and lack of effort/form/endeavour that cost Hughes his job.

So they ALL owe it to us, the fans, to knuckle down and turn this negative into a positive
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby ashton287 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:45 am

Kladze wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that Robinho just ISN'T THAT GOOD ?

Fuck it! I'm gonna logout for a few months again or some of the self-satisfied tripe you and yours post will drive me fucking crazy.

NOOOOO first we lose hughes and now YOU, i dont think i can handle the loss of another idiot.....i might explode with happiness
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Lacky » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:07 am

Benjani, Maybe Bellamy..I've read that' he was part of a revolt? after Mark Hughes got sacked.?
Lacky
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:55 am

john68 wrote:Why should any of them want to leave?
They are all World beaters and now that Hughes has gone, they have no excuse if they don't actually beat the World.

I cannot wait for a reborn Joleon Lescott and a dominant Toure to IMMEDIATELY gel and guarantee all those clean sheets. Given could go on holiday, he won't be needed.

As Hughes was the only reason foR ALL our failures...and other teams are still dropping points all over the place...
we can look forward to being champions in a few months....
...All our problems are now sorted.

god i love you old man, what ever happens to our club, yourself and i are always positive. must be that we are both very old and need our hot choc at bed time
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum