What will our amazing PR machine produce now?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What will our amazing PR machine produce now?

Postby Slim » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Wonderwall wrote:did anyone predict the rags being dicked over by Fulham by 3 goals? NO YOU DIDNT

I did....I'm awesome.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:did anyone predict the rags being dicked over by Fulham by 3 goals? NO YOU DIDNT

I did....I'm awesome.

you two are headed here shortly i believe...

viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby lythamblue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:14 pm

viking the Odd wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
MARKMAKAVELI wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:That's the biggest worry for me now; that whatever they say may not be true. I trusted these blokes but the sacking of Hughes, right or wrong, proves that anything they say can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yeah I feel that I was naive now but I believed the chairman and everything he said. Now there is nothing separating us from Chelsea for example, we're just another money bags club who will hire/sack managers whenever we fancy.

Really thought we were gonna be different.

Exactly my feeling. I've totally lost faith in the administration, and think it will take a long time for me to regain the excitement I've felt as a City supporter over the past 18 months.

Mr Blue, I feel the same way, what can we believe,and what can't we believe, won't be surprised if they try to get Tony Blair in to win us around, I think thats how stupid they must think we are.

Yep, I'm sorry to say it but I have to join the dubious doubters in this respect.

What was all this about patience, building a dynasty for the future, creating credibility, keeping the sole of the club, importance of the academy etc? Aso,we were told we are going to lose the "typical city mentality" ...... well this is the most 'typical City' behaviour I have ever seen. Nothing has changed apart from the fact that the owners have a few quid.

I'm, not debating the decision on this thread ..... I'm just also concerned as to what we can and can't believe in the future.

Are we just a well oiled PR machine? Are we just another Chelski .... but not yet as good as them on the pitch?
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Socrates » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:28 pm

lythamblue wrote:
viking the Odd wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
MARKMAKAVELI wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:That's the biggest worry for me now; that whatever they say may not be true. I trusted these blokes but the sacking of Hughes, right or wrong, proves that anything they say can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yeah I feel that I was naive now but I believed the chairman and everything he said. Now there is nothing separating us from Chelsea for example, we're just another money bags club who will hire/sack managers whenever we fancy.

Really thought we were gonna be different.

Exactly my feeling. I've totally lost faith in the administration, and think it will take a long time for me to regain the excitement I've felt as a City supporter over the past 18 months.

Mr Blue, I feel the same way, what can we believe,and what can't we believe, won't be surprised if they try to get Tony Blair in to win us around, I think thats how stupid they must think we are.

Yep, I'm sorry to say it but I have to join the dubious doubters in this respect.

What was all this about patience, building a dynasty for the future, creating credibility, keeping the sole of the club, importance of the academy etc? Aso,we were told we are going to lose the "typical city mentality" ...... well this is the most 'typical City' behaviour I have ever seen. Nothing has changed apart from the fact that the owners have a few quid.

I'm, not debating the decision on this thread ..... I'm just also concerned as to what we can and can't believe in the future.

Are we just a well oiled PR machine? Are we just another Chelski .... but not yet as good as them on the pitch?

But as I kept pointing out to you Mark mate, Hughes wasn't their appointment, they were allowed to change him without any of the above becoming untrue. They have simply realised that you have to have the right man in charge BEFORE you can have that stability. They wanted to trust in a proven winner, same as the rags did 20 years ago...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby lythamblue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Then they should have got rid of him right at the start then!

Not go through 18 months of all this 'stability, removing the typical city label, building for the future rubbish.

I share the thought of others on here with regards to their excellent PR machine. It's no longer about Man City, it's all about Abu Dhabi. Splash the cash, build it quick and let the exterior look great hoping that everyone goes by first impressions alone.

How will you feel if you suddenly realise all the promises made about how important the Academy is and our Social responsibilites .... was also just a PR excercise?
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:02 pm

lythamblue wrote:Then they should have got rid of him right at the start then!

Not go through 18 months of all this 'stability, removing the typical city label, building for the future rubbish.

I share the thought of others on here with regards to their excellent PR machine. It's no longer about Man City, it's all about Abu Dhabi. Splash the cash, build it quick and let the exterior look great hoping that everyone goes by first impressions alone.

How will you feel if you suddenly realise all the promises made about how important the Academy is and our Social responsibilites .... was also just a PR excercise?

They decided it only fair to have a good look at him first. what the hell is wrong with that? And your description ofAbu Dhabi is inaccurate, you do know it isn't Dubai don't you?
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Blackadder2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:10 pm

What will our amazing PR machine do now?

He who dies with the most toys, wins.
Blackadder2
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe

Postby lythamblue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:19 pm

Socrates wrote:
lythamblue wrote:Then they should have got rid of him right at the start then!

They decided it only fair to have a good look at him first. what the hell is wrong with that? And your description ofAbu Dhabi is inaccurate, you do know it isn't Dubai don't you?

He was either their man or he wasn't ..... you can't argue it both ways!!!

I am quite familiar with Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I marvelled at the wonderful hotel built on Fas Island with the GP track running under it when I saw it on TV. Only to find out when I tried to book in to it, that it was actually just an exterior shell with nothing built inside it yet!! Never mind ..... to the rest of the World it looked good and that's all that matters eh!

Please understand why, yesterday ...... I had that certain deja vu feeling.
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:34 pm

dazby wrote:What exactly is everyone's problem with the dismissal? I don't get it. They wanted him to go, and even gave him a match to say goodbye. Nothing wrong with it for mine.

I agree Dazby. I feel a bit left out in the last 24 hours because most of the posts on the board are talking about Hughes being harshly treated. Personally I don't understand it. What is particularly bad about it? They decided to sack him, they secured a replacement, they called him into the office, and told him he was being dismissed.

Anyway, there are plenty of shitty things that happen in football. A few months ago there was a manager who was sacked by text.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Blackadder2 wrote:What will our amazing PR machine do now?

Top picture... especially because it looks as though a ball is about to hit him on the back of the head....
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john68 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 pm

A number of years ago a football club based just outside Manchester ceased to be a football club. It even took those two words off their official logo. Their fans became customers and were/are treated as such. They became a business and their CEO actually made the foolowing statement at a dinner in the Midland Hotel in Manchester..."THE PLAYING OF FOOTBALL IS ALMOST INCIDENTAL TO THE BUSINESS OF MANCHESTER UNITED".

Only recently, Manchester City FC played a game in Abu Dhabi. The game was advertised in the Emirate as "OUR COUNTRY VERSUS OUR CLUB...Disconcerting statement that...I was always under the illusion that though they were the owners, they acknowledged that it was a club of the people...OUR CLUB! So whose fuckin club is it.

From the very start of the Arab ownwership of our club, we were told that they were going to build OUR club into a World football power. That they name of CITY would be the central brand name and once the brand was built, the name would be used as a logo for services such as banking, credit, and manufacturing.

SHOULD WE BE SUPRISED AT WHAT IS HAPPENING TO OUR/THEIR CLUB?

WHOSE CLUB?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby lythamblue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:17 pm

john68 wrote:
Only recently, Manchester City FC played a game in Abu Dhabi. The game was advertised in the Emirate as "OUR COUNTRY VERSUS OUR CLUB...Disconcerting statement that...I was always under the illusion that though they were the owners, they acknowledged that it was a club of the people...OUR CLUB! So whose fuckin club is it.

WHOSE CLUB?

So .... I'm glad I wasn't the only one that pricked up my ears when I heard that then?

John, it is now quite clear we are merely an extension of the AD Tourist Board. We therefore need big publicity and that comes with big names. However, we have to get the 'locals 'to support our grandiose plans (after all they do live there) and we can do that by claiming we will support the local community, protect their schools and academies, be ware of their history and evolve change patiently, etc etc,

Hmmm ..... the only positive is that their aims for AD are similar to what we want for MCFC and we will probably never have to fear relegation again. However, how they attempt to do this may not be how was originally promised.

This brings me to now wondering about the conclusion of the plan. Once we are successful, what will happen then ...... because they won't need the 'locals' anymore. They normally disappear into the suburbs anyway becaue it's too expensive now.

In summary, I agree that my above comments are probably taking it all too far ..... but I have defended these guys motives and promises to every rag I have encountered. For the first time I know feel as though the doubters may have a point .... and they are all too pleased to say 'I told you so'!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby King Kev » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:36 pm

lythamblue wrote:
john68 wrote:

WHOSE CLUB?

So .... I'm glad I wasn't the only one that pricked up my ears when I heard that then?

John, it is now quite clear we are merely an extension of the AD Tourist Board. We therefore need big publicity and that comes with big names. However, we have to get the 'locals 'to support our grandiose plans (after all they do live there) and we can do that by claiming we will support the local community, protect their schools and academies, be ware of their history and evolve change patiently, etc etc,

Hmmm ..... the only positive is that their aims for AD are similar to what we want for MCFC and we will probably never have to fear relegation again. However, how they attempt to do this may not be how was originally promised.

This brings me to now wondering about the conclusion of the plan. Once we are successful, what will happen then ...... because they won't need the 'locals' anymore. They normally disappear into the suburbs anyway becaue it's too expensive now.

In summary, I agree that my above comments are probably taking it all too far ..... but I have defended these guys motives and promises to every rag I have encountered. For the first time I know feel as though the doubters may have a point .... and they are all too pleased to say 'I told you so'!

This isn't news. We knew when we were taken over that we would be used to highten awareness of Abu Dhabi. Most of us agreed at the time that we were getting a very good deal, and I still do.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby irblinx » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:01 pm

john68 wrote:Only recently, Manchester City FC played a game in Abu Dhabi. The game was advertised in the Emirate as "OUR COUNTRY VERSUS OUR CLUB...Disconcerting statement that...I was always under the illusion that though they were the owners, they acknowledged that it was a club of the people...OUR CLUB! So whose fuckin club is it.

WHOSE CLUB?

Now you know that I love you dearly John but honestly there are times that you talk utter shite!

For the record the game was billed as Our Country versus Our CITY, you know, a clever play on words whilst showing a sense of endearment to the club that is now owned by one of the Emiratee. No hidden meanings, no grand plan to change the world order, just an attempt to further endear Man City to the locals and turn them all in to City fans too.

They have invested more money in one year in charge than any one of us have over our lives (even you John and as we know that is a long time and a hell of a lot of balti pies) and shown a real commitment to fulfilling our dreams and lifting City out of mediocrity. They have also been very respectful of our traditions, laid on some brilliant initiatives for the fans and conducted themselves in a dignified fashion. Realistically you surely can't deny that they deserve a say in who manages their investment going forward and if they feel that Hughes wasn't the right person for the job then why shouldn't they do something about it?
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:18 pm

honestly the noise about how disrespectful, dishonest or untruthful our ownership/chairman are...is in a word: insane.

How much have they invested in City to start building a top top fuclin football club again with City? Hundreds of millions.

How on earth someone could side with poor little Mark Hughes being hard done because he wasn't given a fair shake in comparison to what our owners are pouring into the club and their longterm goals are is completely provincial and honestly it's the thing i find most "Typical City" about this entire situation of swapping Hughes out for Mancini.

Some of the paranoid and frustrated reactions in this thread are completely small-minded.

Onwards and upwards. He didn't get it fuclin done people...you know it in your hearts so let's move on! Getting romantic now won't change history.

Sorry.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby lythamblue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:21 pm

King Kev wrote:
lythamblue wrote:
john68 wrote:

WHOSE CLUB?

This isn't news. We knew when we were taken over that we would be used to highten awareness of Abu Dhabi. Most of us agreed at the time that we were getting a very good deal, and I still do.

You seem to have missed the point ..... probably because you haven't considered beyond the next 10 games or so, never mind the next 10 years. If all you care about is winning the Carling Cup in February then you will probably ignore what I am going to say next .... but I will write it anyway.

Our owners have changed against their initial statements and principles all too easily. Therefore, you have to wonder whether they really do care about the Academy, social responsibilities, club history, fans etc, as they have also previously statemented.

As someone, who has been quite heavily involved in acquisitions, PR, getting people on side etc, I have seen many similar scenario's. Are we just being fed PR in order to keep us onside for as long as they need us to be?

How would you react if the Academy was conked on the head because 'it took to long ..... or didn't meet the pre set targets"?
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:21 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:honestly the noise about how disrespectful, dishonest or untruthful our ownership/chairman are...is in a word: insane.

How much have they invested in City to start building a top top fuclin football club again with City? Hundreds of millions.

How on earth someone could side with poor little Mark Hughes being hard done because he wasn't given a fair shake in comparison to what our owners are pouring into the club and their longterm goals are is completely provincial and honestly it's the thing i find most "Typical City" about this entire situation of swapping Hughes out for Mancini.

Some of the paranoid and frustrated reactions in this thread are completely small-minded.

Onwards and upwards. He didn't get it fuclin done people...you know it in your hearts so let's move on! Getting romantic now won't change history.

Sorry.

I think you will find an answer to this post on at least 20 threads, so I wont bother to say the same stuff over and over again.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Socrates » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:23 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:honestly the noise about how disrespectful, dishonest or untruthful our ownership/chairman are...is in a word: insane.

Sorry.

best post I've read in years...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby bluej » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:23 pm

Sorry.

Its not the fact that he was sacked - it was HOW he was sacked that has people annoyed. As is evident over about 30 threads.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Socrates wrote:

Sorry.

best post I've read in years...

oh lord please forgive them for they not know what they do
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum