What will our amazing PR machine produce now?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What will our amazing PR machine produce now?

Postby Socrates » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:23 pm

lythamblue wrote:
Socrates wrote:[ Sorry but Lytham is just feeling foolish because he pontificated regularly and at great length about the owners backing whoever the incumbent was for a minimum of three years. Like I kept saying again and again though, they would look at least as bad if they continued to back a clearly failing management team!

Firstly, that was not what I said ...... I said they were prepared to give 'the manager' a 3 year run to achieve targets because continuity was a major issue. Certainly to the end of the season and continuing provided we were competive. If we had not achieved champs League by end of year 3 ..... he was a gonner.

Finally, and most importantly, this was not just something I gleemed from 'The Press' . Check your PM's later and I will explain further why I fully believed this to be the case.

You will then understand where my current surprise comes from.

I always knew you had good sources Mark but I think they have felt the need to accelerate their targets (hence the accelerated spending), I believe due to the UEFA threat which is real no matter what some ostriches like to believe. I think they meant it when they said it but have been made to look bad because the targets changed, part by necessity part because of opportunity, and because they hadn't foreseen how quickly it would become obvious that Hughes wasn't going to succeed. We know Hughes can organise a team defensively from his past exploits but he doesn't seem able to organisea team todefend even adequately when required to play attacking football. There was no sign that he could put that right so they felt compelled to find someone that could.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Socrates » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:26 pm

john68 wrote:Socs,
Let me make it plain from the start, personally I have no major deal with the sacking of Hughes for his performance.
I have no issue with the employment of mancini. Time itself will tell if these decisions are correct and at present we can merely accept this as a done deal. Too many new managers have come and gone and too many failed, for me to wind my neck out emotionally about events.

Now to the point. We now know as fact that the targets for this season were changed at some point earlier in the year to "around 70pts" (Cook said 70, Hughes said "around" 70). We have currently played 17 games (2 games short of halfway). We currently have 29pts (6pts short of halfway). Two games to play...at home...two wins...and that target is EXACTLY ON SCHEDULE.
I make no judgement as to whether the team under Hughes would win those games.
You make a judgement on whether Hughes could have made the correct number of points needed to to the required target. The fact is, as above, he was 2 wins short, with 2 games to play. What the future might have held is only your opinion and speculation. Your consideration must be that we would have a worse 2nd half of season that 1st....and your speculation that Hughes would be unable to solve the defensive problems.

The evidence was that Hughes cannot solve the defensive problems. 11 points from 10 games with both two key talents looking disillusioned... Sorry but the odds against us getting to 70 points were huge. We may now make an adjusted target of 67. Let's hope so.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:44 pm

http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28920

We're in full motion now with the great PR.

Robbi, great timing lad!!
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum