Michael Turner - 4 Match Ban

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Michael Turner - 4 Match Ban

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:51 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 423124.stm

Sunderland defender Michael Turner given four-match ban

Sunderland defender Michael Turner has been handed a hefty four-match suspension after he was sent off against Manchester City on Saturday.

The 25-year-old was sent off in injury time of Sunderland's 4-3 defeat for catching City midfielder Gareth Barry with an elbow in an aerial challenge.

The Football Association added an extra game to the ban for wasting their time.

The FA has also asked Sunderland manager Steve Bruce to explain his comments after the game.

Bruce, who has until 31 December to respond to the FA's request, had asked referee Andre Mariner to look at Turner's red card again.

"I hope he [referee Andre Mariner] can have a look at it and he can see it was a shuddering challenge between two of the most honest professionals you are going to get.

"Michael Turner got higher. That is the only reason he has caught Gareth Barry.

"You have got to raise your elbows when you are jumping for a ball. I might as well tell my centre-half not to head it next week because he might get sent off.

"I hope the referee looks at it again. I doubt it, though."

The FA said Turner's appeal over the red card had had "no prospect of success" - hence its decision to add a game to the normal three-match suspension.

The ban rules Turner out of the three Premier League games against Everton, Sunderland and Bolton as well as the FA Cup tie against non-league Barrow.
Last edited by The Man In Blue on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: Michael Turner - 4 Match Ban

Postby Lee_Kinda » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Good - he nearly killed bazza!
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Sunderland defender Michael Turner has been handed a hefty four-match suspension after he was sent off against Manchester City on Saturday.
The 25-year-old was sent off in injury time of Sunderland's 4-3 defeat for catching City midfielder Gareth Barry with an elbow in an aerial challenge.
The Football Association added an extra game to the ban for wasting their time.
The FA has also asked Sunderland manager Steve Bruce to explain his comments after the game.
Bruce, who has until 31 December to respond to the FA's request, had asked referee Andre Mariner to look at Turner's red card again.
"I hope he [referee Andre Mariner] can have a look at it and he can see it was a shuddering challenge between two of the most honest professionals you are going to get.

"Michael Turner got higher. That is the only reason he has caught Gareth Barry.
"You have got to raise your elbows when you are jumping for a ball. I might as well tell my centre-half not to head it next week because he might get sent off.
"I hope the referee looks at it again. I doubt it, though."
The FA said Turner's appeal over the red card had had "no prospect of success" - hence its decision to add a game to the normal three-match suspension.
The ban rules Turner out of the three Premier League games against Everton, Sunderland and Bolton as well as the FA Cup tie against non-league Barrow.

old fat head will be going nuts now
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:57 pm

did anyone hear the elephant man after the game, saying the red card was "obscene"?

what a twat.
The Man In Blue

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:00 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:did anyone hear the elephant man after the game, saying the red card was "obscene"?

what a twat.

I understood what he meant and would feel a little aggrieved if it was one of ours. Turner never looked anywhere but the ball and was in the air before barry. It just looked like your average every day jump.
Wonderwall

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:did anyone hear the elephant man after the game, saying the red card was "obscene"?

what a twat.

I understood what he meant and would feel a little aggrieved if it was one of ours. Turner never looked anywhere but the ball and was in the air before barry. It just looked like your average every day jump.

theres a difference between saying something like "well, there was no intent there from turner so i feel it was a bit harsh", and labelling the decision to send turner off "obscene".

and he is still a twat.
The Man In Blue

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Very harsh in my opinion, looked bad when I was at the game, but looking at the replays, you could see he never looked at anything other than the ball and there was no intent in it. I've seen some fucking ridiculous appeals that haven't been given an extar game for being 'frivolous'. Would be fucking fuming if it was the other way around.

Having said all that, it happened to one of the elephant mans players, so fuck him.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Kladze » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Almost a none contact sport as it is .... not much further to go :(
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:35 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Very harsh in my opinion, looked bad when I was at the game, but looking at the replays, you could see he never looked at anything other than the ball and there was no intent in it. I've seen some fucking ridiculous appeals that haven't been given an extar game for being 'frivolous'. Would be fucking fuming if it was the other way around.

Having said all that, it happened to one of the elephant mans players, so fuck him.

Yeh I agree. 4 games seems totally over the top. Some of the shit that goes unnoticed or unpunished in the premiership every week and you get a Center Half being suspended for 4 games for going up and challenging for a header? I'd be livid if one of ours got 4 games for that.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby irblinx » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:36 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Very harsh in my opinion, looked bad when I was at the game, but looking at the replays, you could see he never looked at anything other than the ball and there was no intent in it. I've seen some fucking ridiculous appeals that haven't been given an extar game for being 'frivolous'. Would be fucking fuming if it was the other way around.

He lead with his elbow so it was a sending off, dangerous play, IMO but that's all. Still no need for Mr Potato Head to go off on one, he is gonna get hit for that I reckon, pretty much a personal attack on the ref if you listen to the whole interview
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby walmai » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Whenever I think about elbowing, I always remind myself that John Fashanu maimed Gary Mabbutt with his, so that he was effectively disfigured (months after recovering from the injury). And so I make Irblinx right. Yes, it mitigates the position to be able to show that the player was always looking at the ball, but it must be possible to make the challenge for the ball without swinging with force your elbow backwards even in the general direction of another player's face.

The extra game ban is fine by me. Steve Bruce after all is a nob.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Thought the red card was harsh, it wasn't intentional. To give him a 4 match ban now is ridiculous imho.

If anything the ref should have given a red to Nosworthy for his two footed studs up lunge at Kompany.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:22 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:Thought the red card was harsh, it wasn't intentional. To give him a 4 match ban now is ridiculous imho.

If anything the ref should have given a red to Nosworthy for his two footed studs up lunge at Kompany.

Agreed. Could have VERY easily broken Vinnie's ankle with that challenge, was definately a straight red.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:02 pm

there is an age old argument that you need to jump using the arms as leverage to gain height. Turner was up before Barry so I think Turner was hard done by. However, I feel it is also very easy to jump in someone direction and lead with your elbow without actually looking at them. Top footballs usually have very good peripheral vision.

Its a difficult call and the FA should have just upheld the ban and not given it an extra game. That was just for bruce as the FA like to dick on anyone that is outspoken against them.

I have always hated the fact that the read was against our team and 4 other teams are going to benefit from it! I wish there was a way for us to benefit from it, like Sunderland playing with 10 men against us for the next 4 games that we meet.
Wonderwall

Postby edge275 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:15 pm

4 match ban is very excessive. Some strange decisions going on this year.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Twobob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Really OTT for what is a foul but I'm sure it was nothing more than that

Bruce is a cock though - perhaps if he kept his fat gob shut they woudlnt have got this extra one?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Nickyboy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:21 pm

from my seat at the game the challeng about 10 mins earlier by catermole on barry looked a lot worse - it wasn't even shown on motd.

its hard to tell from the replays if there was any intent by turner, but i remember at the time me and the people around me were going rabid about it - i agree with the consensus that the 3 match ban should of been upheld and no need for the extra match added
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bluej » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Nickyboy wrote:from my seat at the game the challeng about 10 mins earlier by catermole on barry looked a lot worse - it wasn't even shown on motd.

its hard to tell from the replays if there was any intent by turner, but i remember at the time me and the people around me were going rabid about it - i agree with the consensus that the 3 match ban should of been upheld and no need for the extra match added

Yeah I agree with that. Funnily I didn't think there was much wrong with it until I saw the replays and it got worse the more times I watched it.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby ronk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 am

I don't think Bruce should feel particularly hard done by. His teams appeal everything, dive, cheat and get away with lots of unpunished stuff. Other teams get red cards all the time, we've had a few more questionable ones recently.

Turner led with the elbow, maybe it wasn't deliberate but it was at least careless. Barry was jumping straight(ish) and he was the guy at an angle. If it had happened in reverse we would have been talking about how Barry was stupid for getting himself sent off.

Personally, I think he did know. Turner isn't someone I'd be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. Proving intent is impossible, it's easy to elbow someone without looking at them. Especially if the intent is to put someone off with your elbow. It wasn't the only bad challenge of the game and sometimes refs give a little benefit it something happens once but really have no alternative if it happens again.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby dazby » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 am

I thought the elbow on Rocky was the harshest of all and deserved a red. The others were pale in comparison.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum