Let's give Mancini 11 Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Let's give Mancini 11 Games

Postby Typical City » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:31 am

Just been looking at the fixtures and the first thing that jumps out is how unlucky Hughes actually was. RM will have the two legged semi which is ultimately winable especially given the rumoured team United will put out. A cup tie against struggling lower league oposition, which should be a gimme and league fixtures against Stoke, Wolves, Blackburn, Everton, Stoke, Portsmouth, Hull and Bolton. Looking at that run of fixtures there is a real possibility we can win them all - leaving us in a position of a major final, passage into the next round of the FA and easily top 4. I think even Hughes would have had a lot of wins out of those fixtures but lets see what RM does with them and how he shapes the team before we make our judgement. By then we will have an idea where he is taking us with regard tactics, selection and desire (also a window of signings) and his ability to win these 'lesser' matches that many of MH could only draw.
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Re: Let's give Mancini 11 Games

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 am

Seems fair. More than RSC got!
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 am

Yeah dead unlucky was Hughes, given over £200m to spend and a horrendous run of fixtures against the likes of titans like Wigan, Fulham, Birmingham, Burnley, Hull and Bolton
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Typical City » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:48 am

Goaters 103 wrote:Yeah dead unlucky was Hughes, given over £200m to spend and a horrendous run of fixtures against the likes of titans like Wigan, Fulham, Birmingham, Burnley, Hull and Bolton

Why pick on half a sentence of the post and make a such a wanky comment about it? Why not just reply to the main subject matter?
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:51 am

We'll never know what Hughes would've done but it's unimportant now. Mancini has a defence which is desperately weak in the air so he may need a bit of luck against teams like Stoke & Everton. Boro have Wheater who's very good at set pieces & just the sort of bloke who used to massacre Dunney & co in previous years cup debacles. We've already let the rags piss on us in the air once so none of these games are forgone conclusions in my book.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Typical City » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:57 am

Ted Hughes wrote:We'll never know what Hughes would've done but it's unimportant now. Mancini has a defence which is desperately weak in the air so he may need a bit of luck against teams like Stoke & Everton. Boro have Wheater who's very good at set pieces & just the sort of bloke who used to massacre Dunney & co in previous years cup debacles. We've already let the rags piss on us in the air once so none of these games are forgone conclusions in my book.

Don't agree with that - Mica, Ned, Kolo and Bridge are all decent in the air and on the floor - their inability to play together under the previous regime was the problem - hence the title and main content of the post - fair point about Hughes but it wasn't what I wanted to stress in the OP.
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:05 am

Typical City wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:We'll never know what Hughes would've done but it's unimportant now. Mancini has a defence which is desperately weak in the air so he may need a bit of luck against teams like Stoke & Everton. Boro have Wheater who's very good at set pieces & just the sort of bloke who used to massacre Dunney & co in previous years cup debacles. We've already let the rags piss on us in the air once so none of these games are forgone conclusions in my book.

Don't agree with that - Mica, Ned, Kolo and Bridge are all decent in the air and on the floor - their inability to play together under the previous regime was the problem - hence the title and main content of the post - fair point about Hughes but it wasn't what I wanted to stress in the OP.

Imo Ned Kolo & Bridge are useless in the air. Also none will be playing.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:06 am

Generous,Hughes got 11 seconds.

;-)
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Typical City » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:48 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Typical City wrote:

It RM believes that (useless in the air) {I don't} then we'll see after the 11 games encapsulating the Jan window.
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby CitizenYank » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 am

11 fixtures, well I guess if the Sheik expects 70 points by the end of the season. And it's not like were the only
team to sack managers at will (Scolari didn't even get to mid season with Chelsea.)

In defense of the new ownership, Hughes wasn't their pick for manager.
But if we sack Mancini at the end of the season for being on the edge of the Big 4.
We should burn Cook and co. in Effigy!!!

Hindsight is 20/20.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby john68 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:03 am

I question the statement that Hughes wasn't their pick for manager. When they took over, they had a choice and THEY madeTHEIR decision to have Hughes as THEIR manager. AT THAT POINT, HE WAS THEIR CHOICE.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby CitizenYank » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:23 am

john68 wrote:I question the statement that Hughes wasn't their pick for manager. When they took over, they had a choice and THEY madeTHEIR decision to have Hughes as THEIR manager. AT THAT POINT, HE WAS THEIR CHOICE.

Fair enough. That's a very good point. But you have to admit, that considering the fact Hughes had been hired a month
or so before the sale, sacking him would have been public relations suicide. Cook probably figured, he'll at least if he fails, I will have an excuse to cover my ass. For me, COOK IS THE PROBLEM!!!
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:44 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Generous,Hughes got 11 seconds.

;-)

really? It sometimes seemed that some people were going to give him 11 years to make any progress.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:52 am

john68 wrote:I question the statement that Hughes wasn't their pick for manager. When they took over, they had a choice and THEY madeTHEIR decision to have Hughes as THEIR manager. AT THAT POINT, HE WAS THEIR CHOICE.

And had they replaced him it would have cost £9M. I realise we all think that's a drop in the ocean, but you don't get to having £500bn by throwing away money you don't have to.

Edit:Better point, then it was Hughes decision to overhaul the squad? Then at that point, the gelling argument fails to carry water, his choice, live or die by it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:03 am

Typical City wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:Yeah dead unlucky was Hughes, given over £200m to spend and a horrendous run of fixtures against the likes of titans like Wigan, Fulham, Birmingham, Burnley, Hull and Bolton

Why pick on half a sentence of the post and make a such a wanky comment about it? Why not just reply to the main subject matter?

I believe your own "wanky comment" in the first place prompted the response.

To suggest City have a run of fixtures that they could win them all is rather a little fanciful too given how the season has panned out.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby zuricity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:26 am

Let's take each game one at a time eh ?

I would like to see city not concede a goal on saturday. We know we can score at will.

If Man Cini does that for Man City this saturday, I would say we have made improvements.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby saulman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:55 am

Typical City wrote:Just been looking at the fixtures and the first thing that jumps out is how unlucky Hughes actually was. RM will have the two legged semi which is ultimately winable especially given the rumoured team U***d will put out. A cup tie against struggling lower league oposition, which should be a gimme and league fixtures against Stoke, Wolves, Blackburn, Everton, Stoke, Portsmouth, Hull and Bolton. Looking at that run of fixtures there is a real possibility we can win them all - leaving us in a position of a major final, passage into the next round of the FA and easily top 4. I think even Hughes would have had a lot of wins out of those fixtures but lets see what RM does with them and how he shapes the team before we make our judgement. By then we will have an idea where he is taking us with regard tactics, selection and desire (also a window of signings) and his ability to win these 'lesser' matches that many of MH could only draw.

As the majority of those games are against shite opposition, I would have predicted a lot of goals conceded and a large number of draws or losses.

Earlier in the season we embarked on a similar run of easy games and everyone predicted good times. How wrong we were.

New manager syndrome and the honeymoon period SHOULD see us over this spell quite comfortably. We already had the players to deal with seams like these. Let's just hope Mancini is up to the job of playing them correctly.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Crossie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:16 am

Why 11 games? why not 12?

This is the shittest thread of the week, and thats going some.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:23 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Typical City wrote:

I agree with that.

Crossie - typicalcity said 11 games because they should all be winnable looking at the oppo. But the easy answer to this thread is that Hughes seemed to draw all the winnable games home or away, which is why he is now enjoying a relaxing Xmas with a glass of wine or 2.

Expect some defensive reinforcements next week. Personally I believe Upson CAN do a better job than the current crop, and both he and Cahill will be sold if their clubs see the lure of £££££££££££s.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:45 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Generous,Hughes got 11 seconds.

;-)

really? It sometimes seemed that some people were going to give him 11 years to make any progress.

All i wanted was another 11 weeks.

Just see after xmas and the Cup final if we got there.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum