Who should Manchester City buy?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Who should Manchester City buy?

Postby Blueboylewis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:18 pm

I thought that this was actually a decent read and it gives Goal.coms opinion on who city should buy. Some interesting names mentioned and just have a look at the team at the bottom but they dropped Bellamy. Some of the names mentioned in here, we need to be going for. They will improve our team dramatically!

http://goal.com/en/news/2802/christmas- ... r-city-buy

Few clubs are as central to the upcoming January transfer window as Manchester City, and no team will generate as much rumour and counter-rumour either.

Almost as soon as Abu Dhabi United Group Investment and Development Limited took over the club on September 1, 2008, the club changed in its entirety in a manner which dwarfed even the spending spree sparked by Roman Abramovich’s arrival at Chelsea. Before the day was out, City had shattered the British transfer record, lavishing £32.5m towards Real Madrid for the services of Robinho.

Then came a chastening experience last January – their pursuit of Kaka, for a reported fee of £100 million – fell short; it was going to take more than simply wheelbarrows of cash to attract the world’s best to Eastlands. What was needed was proof that Manchester City could pursue top honours, be it the Premier League, a place in the Champions League, heck, even the much-derided League Cup would be the club’s first major honour since 1976.

And so City regrouped and replanned for the summer sales. In came Carlos Tevez (to much fanfare and one-upmanship towards their bitter rivals United), and Emmanuel Adebayor and Gareth Barry. And Roque Santa Cruz. And Kolo Toure. And Joleon Lescott.

By the time City and manager Mark Hughes had finished their spending spree, his squad had swelled to an unwieldy size. Nobody could doubt owner Sheikh Mansour was serious about his aim to make the club the biggest in the world, but there were certainly some question marks over how he and City were going about it.

Initially results were positive, five wins out of six, the other being a thrilling 4-3 defeat by Manchester United. But then Hughes’ side embarked on a seven-game drawing sequence, and by the time Spurs inflicted only the second defeat of City’s league season on them last week, moves were afoot to have Roberto Mancini installed as manager.

And so City arrive at the January window in a confused state: with a new manager, with players seemingly unhappy at Hughes’ departure (and others perhaps thrilled) and an owner with money burning a hole in his pocket. Sheikh Mansour’s transfer tab is likely to be the biggest across Europe next month, but will it bring the best?

Goalkeeper

This is an area that City can feel pretty pleased about. Shay Given, brought in during last winter’s transfer window from Newcastle, has been perhaps the best performing goalkeeper in the Premier League this season, and is largely blameless for the fact that City have conceded 27 goals – the most of any of the top eight clubs.

His back-up is Stuart Taylor, though only because Joe Hart is on loan – and impressing – at high-flying Birmingham City. It would be a major surprise if Mancini deems this a position he needs to strengthen, but Manchester City have built a reputation for surprises of late.

Defence

From the sublime to the ridiculous. City’s defence has been largely shambolic this season, with pricey acquisitions Toure and Lescott failing to form a robust partnership. On the flanks, Wayne Bridge has been touted as someone City may sell in the coming weeks, a move which would leave them short of cover.

And so the name-checking can begin. Giorgio Chiellini is reportedly unhappy with life at Juventus and highly rated by Mancini, who is likely to receive £20 million of backing from his new employers to get his man. Ivan Cordoba welcomed the link with his former Inter manager at the weekend, and could follow.

Others put forward as possible targets are Matthew Upson of West Ham, Palermo’s Simon Kjaer, and 23-year-old Cristian Ansaldi of Rubin Kazan. Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna) and Daniel Carrico (Sporting Lisbon) are two more youngsters said to be on Mancini’s wanted list.

City reportedly bid on Internazionale right-back Maicon last summer, and another attempt could cost as much as £35 million. The Brazilian is unlikely to trade Milan for Manchester, though, and Mancini might have to settle for Chiellini as his marquee signing, and possibly Cordoba, with Ansaldi, Azpilicueta or Carrico also brought in.

Midfield

It is not so much numbers or talent that City yearn for in midfield, but structure. Barry has proved an adept signing, but Stephen Ireland is some way short of last year’s stirring form and Nigel De Jong is as Hughes-ratified a signing as they come.

Expect rumours to continue linking Yaya Toure with a move to Eastlands, but it’s almost certainly not going to happen (this is Manchester City – nothing can be ruled out completely). More plausible is a move for Javier Mascherano, somewhat off colour at Liverpool of late. A mega-bucks move for the Argentine could convince the Reds to let go of their man, given the financial predicament they find themselves in.

With Mascherano on board, City could use him alongside Barry at the heart of the pitch and turn their attentions out wide. Benfica winger Angel Di Maria is sought after across Europe, but City are one of the few who would match his current club’s valuation of £35 million. Further forward, Franck Ribery has been touted as a target, but this again falls into the ‘unlikely’ category, though not because of the £65 million price tag.

Attack

This is where the fantasy football begins. Feel free to link Fernando Torres, Sergio Aguero and Thierry Henry with a move to Manchester City, it might even be true. Antonio Cassano, who Sampdoria would demand around £22 million for, is a more realistic capture, though not of the same headline-grabbing ilk as the other three names.

The fact remains that City are overloaded with strikers. Santa Cruz and Craig Bellamy worked with Hughes at Blackburn and then City, and can probably justifiably feel most under threat by his departure. Robinho remains a conundrum; if Mancini gets the Brazilian playing at something like his best, City could be playing Champions League football next season, but a move away is still highly possible.

Benjani remains on the payroll, a sure sign that City have too much money, and then there’s Adebayor and Tevez also in the mix. Jo will remain at Everton on loan until the end of the season, and probably won’t be coming back then either.

IN (6): Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Ivan Cordoba (Inter), Cristian Ansaldi (Rubin Kazan), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Angel Di Maria (Benfica), Antonio Cassano (Sampdoria).

OUT (3): Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy, Benjani

Preferred line-up (4-2-3-1)
Given;
Richards/Cordoba, Toure, Lescott, Chiellini/Bridge;
Barry, Mascherano
Tevez, Ireland, Robinho/Di Maria;
Cassano/Adebayor;

Steven Saunders, Goal.com
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Who should Manchester City buy?

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:25 pm

Buying Antonio Cassano would be like getting Elanos' more disruptive evil twin, trouble maker through and through
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Blueboylewis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:27 pm

craigmcfc wrote:Buying Antonio Cassano would be like getting Elanos' more disruptive evil twin, trouble maker through and through

haha, All i know Craig is that he is a decent player. I do not know much about his desruptivness or anything else. But if he is worse than Elano then god help us all!

I hope you have been improving on Fifa by the way because i am one day or so from kicking your ass! :)
Blueboylewis

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Blueboylewis wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:Buying Antonio Cassano would be like getting Elanos' more disruptive evil twin, trouble maker through and through

haha, All i know Craig is that he is a decent player. I do not know much about his desruptivness or anything else. But if he is worse than Elano then god help us all!

I hope you have been improving on Fifa by the way because i am one day or so from kicking your ass! :)

Yardy yar, dream on pal ;-) You gonna put your username in a thread when you've created it?
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blueboylewis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:43 pm

craigmcfc wrote:
Blueboylewis wrote:

Yardy yar, dream on pal ;-) You gonna put your username in a thread when you've created it?

Yeh we will see who the real king of fifa is :)

Yeh i will mate. You know that ps3 Username thread that i have created. I will put my name in there and update the first page soon so noone has to search through loads of names. I will get a few tournaments set up on fifa and so on so we can see who the mancityfans.net king of fifa is. I will definitely be on it tomorrow but not till near lunchtime or something.
Blueboylewis

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Sound. Not sure whether I'll be on it tomorrow or much this weekend with the City game and family parties etc, but I'll look out for you when I'm on there
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Return to The Maine Football forum