Official Match Thread: City v Stoke

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Official Match Thread: City v Stoke

Postby markuse » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:58 pm

Good Times wrote:
edge275 wrote:Barry MOTM in my opinion. Just as I type also official MOTM.

Yeah, he's been huge for us today.

Yep, by far the best today. He was everywhere from our box to Stoke's
markuse
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby The Original Special One » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:58 pm

That clean sheet, even if a little unsteady at times, will have done our defence's confidence a power of good
And a much improved performance from Toure
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:58 pm

IN ALL FAIRNESS - AFTER THE TURMOIL WE HAVE HAD THIS PAST WEEK THIS IS AN EXCELLENT RESULT.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby ruralblue » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:58 pm

Chuffed to bits with that. Good game, good shape considering injuries and defensivly looked confident. Thank fuck he's off to a win and a clean sheet, long may it continue.

Well played City and good on you Mancini.

rural x
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Crossie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Very good, every player just seemed more confident and composed.

Perfect result, clean sheet, 2 goals, nothing too exciting, just a nice improvement.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Crossie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Very good, every player just seemed more confident and composed.

Perfect result, clean sheet, 2 goals, nothing too exciting, just a nice improvement.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Yesterdays Game... » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:59 pm

I like what I saw, full backs plaing in a much more organised manner obviously been told not to make mad sprints leave it to the midfield, Barry in undoubtebly his best game since we played Villa, Tevez just keeps shining and best of all we kept a clean sheet against them shit longballing mothefuckers!
[center]Image[/center]
Yesterdays Game...
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kompany

Postby avoidconfusion » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:00 pm

I am impressed. We didn't look very exciting in the first half but towards the end we did some very nice one-two combinations.
I haven't seen Robinho trying that much in a while, granted he was still not very good imho but still.

Bellamy looked really quiet when he came on to the point where I was getting worried. Thankfully, Huth fouled him, he should have gotten a penalty but the ref didn't give it and Bellers was back to his old self giving the ref grief! :)

I haven't seen us play this composed in a long long time. We already looked very much like an italian side I think and I think we already got a taste of Mancini's tactical ability, switching Petrov to the right and 1 minute later we score. Nice to have a manager who can change a game. :)
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby bobadji » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Professional performance today I think. Did the job well.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby The Original Special One » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Hard to pick out one player as MOTM; in the midfield and attack there were far too many misplaced passes, and poor crosses and shots.
But more important was that everybody was backing each other up, all over the shop.

Fluidity, and perfection will come in time.
Mancini has made a great start, given the train-wreck he had taken over.

He's put the train back on the tracks; next step is get the engine fine tuned and back in working order
The Original Special One

Postby edge275 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:02 pm

I also liked how Mancini is not afraid to change things and is constantly analysing the game to see if we can improve anywhere. We started off 4-4-2 and he realised it wasn't working and switched to 4-3-3 sharpish. Also great idea to play Robinho on the left side and Petrov on the right since crossing it to Tevez wouldn't have made much of an impact so coming inside and shooting was a much better option.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby JB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:02 pm

I will take a performance like that any day of the week. Pulis got desperate early and we handled the diving, cheating, ping-pong playing bastards really well, with no help from the ref. (Beattie and Fuller should have got yellow cards, the cheating pricks.)

Tevez MOTM for me but a great team perfomance.
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby avoidconfusion » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Yesterdays Game... wrote:I like what I saw, full backs plaing in a much more organised manner obviously been told not to make mad sprints leave it to the midfield, Barry in undoubtebly his best game since we played Villa, Tevez just keeps shining and best of all we kept a clean sheet against them shit longballing mothefuckers!

I like your signature picture!
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby feedthegreek » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:04 pm

just listened to it on gmr cheeseman was saying,
looks like mancini reacts to situations, like bringing on richards for more height in the box.
and none of our full backs storming off out of pos etc.
bringing on garrido to shore thigs up in midfield.
looks like weve got a tactician at last.
get in, great win clean sheet, versus a team who only know 1 way to play lumping balls into our box.
well impressed.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CitizenYank » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:04 pm

Best game I have seen us play in quite a while. Roberto seemed to have a plan and really communicated
with the players. Amazing play from Barry. Wow!! This has got to be his best performance all season.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby viking the Odd » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Pleasing result,feels just strange having kept a clean sheet for once, the defence looks better, as has been said before, the fullbacks kept to the game plan,and it helped.
Tevez motm for me.
viking the Odd
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Absolutely great result and a clean sheet to go with it. Shay's save from Tuncay was key. Also I think it's good that it wasn't a great exciting team performance to thrash Stoke so we have plenty still to improve on ....apart from the 3 points!

I love the comment that i'ts a masterstroke to move Petrov to the right bearing in mind the reaction last time that was tried. Made me laugh that one.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby The Original Special One » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:10 pm

feedthegreek wrote:just listened to it on gmr cheeseman was saying,
looks like mancini reacts to situations, like bringing on richards for more height in the box.
and none of our full backs storming off out of pos etc.
bringing on garrido to shore thigs up in midfield.
looks like weve got a tactician at last.
get in, great win clean sheet, versus a team who only know 1 way to play lumping balls into our box.
well impressed.

Agreed: tactical nous was something that Hughes lacked, big-time.

I knew Mancini as a cultured player, and am not at all surprised that he's identified our 'crazy horse' full backs as a major problem to sort out, but just wasn't sure whether it would upset our attacking and midfield balance.

There will probably still be a bit of tinkering to be done but he's clearling thinking on the fly.

I don't think he could have done better, to be fair, given the circumstances
10/10
The Original Special One

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:11 pm

The Original Special One wrote:
He's put the train back on the tracks; next step is get the engine fine tuned and back in working order

Lovely quote that. Chooo chooo indeed.

Great result, everyone has touched on how comfortable we looked and I can only second that. Lovin Petrov's crosses from the right flank with his left foot.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:11 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:I am impressed. We didn't look very exciting in the first half but towards the end we did some very nice one-two combinations.
I haven't seen Robinho trying that much in a while, granted he was still not very good imho but still.

Bellamy looked really quiet when he came on to the point where I was getting worried. Thankfully, Huth fouled him, he should have gotten a penalty but the ref didn't give it and Bellers was back to his old self giving the ref grief! :)

I haven't seen us play this composed in a long long time. We already looked very much like an italian side I think and I think we already got a taste of Mancini's tactical ability, switching Petrov to the right and 1 minute later we score. Nice to have a manager who can change a game. :)

I agree with all that. Thank god for a clean sheet. Overall I thought we looked a lot more solid at the back, although Toure still failed to win a single ball in the air and we still look susceptible from corners. We're need a center back in Jan.

Robinho did seem to be trying but I thought he was shocking! What the hell was going on with his first touch today? Good to see Bellers fired up and the crowd made a point loud and clear when he came on. Unlucky with his chance.

All in all, more than happy with a 2-0 win and most importantly a CLEAN SHEET!!!! WOO HOOO! Should be good for the defences confidence!
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum