Shot Stoppers Given or Hart

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Shot Stoppers Given or Hart

Postby blues-clues » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:22 pm

I am a big fan of Shay Given but his reputation is deservedly based on his shot stoppong ability. Joe Hart has attracted a lot of attention this year and was in the Times "team of the season so far" this week. He has just made two fantastic saves against Chelsea. How do we handle the Joe Hart situation. Would love to keep him out on loan for another season. Given has won us multiple points this season but if the defence really tightens up I am not sure who would be better n the long term. Given or Hart??
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Re: Shot Stoppers Given or Hart

Postby Blue Toy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:23 pm

I hope we wait to see how Given's happiness under Mancini pans out before we make any rash decisions to sell Hart.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:39 pm

I think shot stopping is both their strong suits, but Given makes saves that he has no right to make through brilliant positioning coupled with great reflexes, Joe has the reflexes but no the positioning yet, especially off corners in my opinion.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:48 pm

HART WAS BRILLIANT TODAY...BRILLIANT.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:49 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I think shot stopping is both their strong suits, but Given makes saves that he has no right to make through brilliant positioning coupled with great reflexes, Joe has the reflexes but no the positioning yet, especially off corners in my opinion.

yeah thats the big diffrence between the 2, I just watched the full game with chelsea and joe hart for me was the man of the match. Joe hart has a big future with city but he is applying his trade in the premiership. Given will retire in 3 or 4 years and Joe will be perfect to be city's number 1 for longer than shay given has.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby david yearsley » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:06 pm

We need to keep Hart at all cost - he´s a future England No 1 and I´ve maintained that view for some time
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:03 pm

both were so fantastic today. How lucky are we?

related: if Given had been seriously injured today could we have recalled Hart from loan?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Lee_Kinda » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:08 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:both were so fantastic today. How lucky are we?

related: if Given had been seriously injured today could we have recalled Hart from loan?

cheers

related: I was shitting it when I thought Taylor might have come on.
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby JB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:18 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:HART WAS BRILLIANT TODAY...BRILLIANT.

Agree with you there Carl. I think there's a good chance he could play his way into the England squad.
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:28 pm

JB wrote:

Agree with you there Carl. I think there's a good chance he could play his way into the England squad.

Good I hope he does. Thats why we sent him out on loan. Hart is a brilliant goal keeper without doubt but as Mancini mentioned, Given in the best in the Prem and probably in the top 5 in the world. Given every day of the week for me.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Joe harts got 11 years on Shay holding on to him is our only problem not choosing which goalie.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Lee_Kinda wrote:

cheers

i was seriously shitting it...and thought to myself "our entire season is fucled beyond imagination if Shay is out for a few months or the year with a destroyed knee."

which prompted the question -- still unanswered -- can we recall Hart if Given gets injured?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:59 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Lee_Kinda wrote:

cheers

i was seriously shitting it...and thought to myself "our entire season is fucled beyond imagination if Shay is out for a few months or the year with a destroyed knee."

which prompted the question -- still unanswered -- can we recall Hart if Given gets injured?

cheers

I think we can't- I seem to recall a loan fee being involved, which would leave the decision on a recall in Birmingham's hands.

In regards to Taylor- I'd love to see Weaver back with us instead. He's on a temporary contract with Dundee, I think, so he may be gettable in January.

Hart should stay on loan for another season. He's already a first choice Prem keeper- just the wrong end of it for us. Also, he really needs to improve his distribution (not that Given's is brilliant, mind).
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:07 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Lee_Kinda wrote:

cheers

cheers

I think we can't- I seem to recall a loan fee being involved, which would leave the decision on a recall in Birmingham's hands.

In regards to Taylor- I'd love to see Weaver back with us instead. He's on a temporary contract with Dundee, I think, so he may be gettable in January.

Hart should stay on loan for another season. He's already a first choice Prem keeper- just the wrong end of it for us. Also, he really needs to improve his distribution (not that Given's is brilliant, mind).

ive watched weaver a few times and to be honest hes at his level, he just doesnt apply himself proprly on or off the pitch and ended up in the spl where he should stay...
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Got to keep him. I knew hed be in various teams of the seasons and i told rags to get him in their fantasy football teams. Another 'player of the season' seems to be bloody dunne!!

Well, at least Jo is shit ;-)
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby ronk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
JB wrote:

Good I hope he does. Thats why we sent him out on loan. Hart is a brilliant goal keeper without doubt but as Mancini mentioned, Given in the best in the Prem and probably in the top 5 in the world. Given every day of the week for me.

If Hart gets into the England squad in more than a passing way, we've lost him. At this point we may have to resign ourselves to accepting huge money for him.

We're going to have a lot of difficulty getting him to sign a contract extension while on loan (and while he doesn't want to be around). IIRC he signed a 4 year contract 1 year ago. Another year on loan might be an option but we'll probably have to name a price for him and hope no one comes in if we want to keep him.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Vhero » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:47 pm

ronk wrote:
Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
JB wrote:

If Hart gets into the England squad in more than a passing way, we've lost him. At this point we may have to resign ourselves to accepting huge money for him.

We're going to have a lot of difficulty getting him to sign a contract extension while on loan (and while he doesn't want to be around). IIRC he signed a 4 year contract 1 year ago. Another year on loan might be an option but we'll probably have to name a price for him and hope no one comes in if we want to keep him.

I think we should offload if we can to a smaller team with a clause where we get first refusal in the future.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:05 pm

I watched carefully Joe Hart's last performance against Chelski. No attitude for him to move directly to the ball when corners were beaten into his area. It's too late for him to change this big mistakes in the future!
Shay is of another cathegory, a regular top class golkeeper and I'm proud we hadn't tried in the past to sign Gianluigi Buffon, more expansive and oftten injuried than the Irish
!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum