Mancini Debut....Thoughts?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mancini Debut....Thoughts?

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:21 pm

The Original Special One wrote:
Manx Blue wrote:I thought his use of defensive players (Garrido, Richards etc) was very good. With injuries he had a look at players and see what they could do for the coming weeks with Toure away and the injuries mounting up...very astute

of course his next job will be making sure they do so consistently but our defence, and the defensive responsibilities of all our players, can only improve with Mancini at the helm

Yes I was very happy with our defence today, especially Komp who got everything in the air but also as a unit they looked solid and they even improved when Micah came on. The substitutions were spot on and ensured that we kept a clean sheet. All in all I think Manc handled his 1st match very well and he has given me a lot of confidence in the days to come.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Bluez » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:27 pm

edge275 wrote:
shawzy wrote:Well Well.What did you think of our new man at the helm then?
Personally i thought he got it spot on for his debut.The main thing was to stop the goals conceded and at last we got a clean sheet.
The defense looked great today.Was we really understrength with injuries?
Subs...I thought bringin Silvia off for Micah and switchin Zabba to the left was a masterstroke..Mancini could see the threat of Etherington and stopped any threat.
Overall I thought we looked brilliant and solid today..We got the clean sheet and 3 points against a very tough,dirty Stoke team.We cant always pley fancy dan football but were effective and did our job as a team.
I noticed Mancini gets very involved with the game.Alot more than Hughes.I also like the unity with him and Brian Kidd.Did anyone notice the amount of paperwork being shown to players before they came on as subs.Seemed all very proff and tactical.
Very very pleased with everything i seen.
What are your thoughts on the match then lads?

Agree with everything there mate.

On a side note do you know how you can tell a licker from a mile off? They refer to Mancini as Mankini.

Search for mankini and see the lickers in full ;)

On another side note, do you know how you can spot a complete prick? He mentions a pointless issue trying to further split the board at a time everyone is trying to get behind the team.

Get over it
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby failsworthblue » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:27 pm

A very good start.

Stoke did not show half as much as I expected and was amazed that Delap never got a show.

Thought the tatics were spot on , we got in front and there was no need to go "gung-ho" in the second half, we controlled the game well.

One big plus for me was Barry , I have been his biggest critic in recent weeks but he was excellent today, he either recovered from a niggling injury or playing for a manager who knows what he is doing!
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Can't really ask anymore from his 1st game in charge. Good formation, always on line giving advice, used the subs very well and came away with a very good 3 points.

Let's see how we get on at Wolves on Monday to appreciate if the good work today is to continue.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby edge275 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Bluez wrote:
edge275 wrote:
Personally i thought he got it spot on for his debut.The main thing was to stop the goals conceded and at last we got a clean sheet.
Subs...I thought bringin Silvia off for Micah and switchin Zabba to the left was a masterstroke..Mancini could see the threat of Etherington and stopped any threat.
Overall I thought we looked brilliant and solid today..We got the clean sheet and 3 points against a very tough,dirty Stoke team.We cant always pley fancy dan football but were effective and did our job as a team.
I noticed Mancini gets very involved with the game.Alot more than Hughes.I also like the unity with him and Brian Kidd.Did anyone notice the amount of paperwork being shown to players before they came on as subs.Seemed all very proff and tactical.

On a side note do you know how you can tell a licker from a mile off? They refer to Mancini as Mankini.

On another side note, do you know how you can spot a complete prick? He mentions a pointless issue trying to further split the board at a time everyone is trying to get behind the team.

Get over it

I think it's you lickers that need to get over it. Your prince has gone.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Bluez » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:37 pm

edge275 wrote:
Bluez wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Get over it

And you need to keep going on about it because??

How do you think this is helping the idea that everyone gets behind the new manager?

Prettty much everyone who advocated Hughes being given more time is getting behind Mancini as they want the best for the club, so what you think you are achieving by trying to still separate the two sets of fans is beyond me.

Bluez

Postby edge275 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Bluez wrote:
edge275 wrote:
Bluez wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Get over it

And you need to keep going on about it because??

How do you think this is helping the idea that everyone gets behind the new manager?

Prettty much everyone who advocated Hughes being given more time is getting behind Mancini as they want the best for the club, so what you think you are achieving by trying to still separate the two sets of fans is beyond me.

You make this sound like a really big issue. Are you seriously offended by being called a licker? How old are you? 40+? And you're offended by being called a licker, give me a break.

Let's draw a line under this and carry on with the actual topic.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Vhero » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:42 pm

edge275 wrote:

Yeah like THAT'S gonna heppen.. You forget what board your on sometimes mate i'm sure of it :) This board NEVER stays on topic EVER.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Bluez » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:44 pm

edge275 wrote:You make this sound like a really big issue. Are you seriously offended by being called a licker? How old are you? 40+? And you're offended by being called a licker, give me a break.

Drawing a line under it is the best thing you have said. Calling me 40+? now that is seriously offensive ;-)

Bluez

Postby King Kev » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:45 pm

A clean sheet with a makeshift defence! I'm over the fucling moon with his first game in charge!

Long may it continue!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Defensively looking a lot more solid and a CLEAN SHEET! Very happy with that.

Offensively we were a touch sloppy with passing on occasion and not looking the attacking powerhouse we have in many other games this season. I guess there is a balance to be found and that will take a little time.

But considering he's only had a week with the team, its a great start. Lets make it 3 more points on Monday.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby shawzy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:02 pm

King Kev wrote:A clean sheet with a makeshift defence! I'm over the fucling moon with his first game in charge!

Long may it continue!

Spot on Lee.We looked great as a unit today..Really impressed with the players.I was happy to see Bellers talkin and listening to the gaffers advice before he came on the pitch 2...Didnt look like Bellers was unhappy at the club to me.
Oh were on SS1 at 8.25.Game of the day :-$
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Defence looked 100x better, but the way we passed the ball around at the back but created fucl all reminded me of Sven and nearly put me to sleep. Hopefully we'll start to see some more attacking intent once everyone has got used to each other and worked out the new tactics
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Can I just ask, did anyone see there first corner and we set up zonally. The lads did not look sure at all and if they'd have played it short to their LB, he would have had a clear run into the box. It worked out right and we cleared but better teams/players would've been all over that!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Quality stuff a job well done by Roberto today, it wasn't working the first 20 minutes so he shook things up about and a few moments later we had the lead. We completly locked them out at the back and never looked shakey when defending set-pieces, a top performance from all parts of the pitch goalkeeper, defence, midfield and attack. We really looked like a team unit today, very impressed.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wooders » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:15 pm

clean sheet with a defensive unit that have played together for the first time, substitutions that weren't bemusing, not needing a 7 ft striker on the pitch to score goals....

Yeah I was happy with it.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby zuricity » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:20 pm

You lot can crap on as much as you like about Tactics and game plans .

For me Mancini won the game when he walked out with that blue and white scarf around his neck !

I bet all the girls just love it !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Grob » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Organisation that I havnt seen for a while.

The defence worked much better due to the mix at the center. Kompany was tackling hard, aerially strong and putting his foot through it when it was needed. Toure played off him, fed the ball to the midfield on the deck and read the game. The right mix. We stick with Vince and another one for me. Mancini tried to sign Vinnie when he was at Inter, i could see why today.

The full backs played as full backs. Little bombing on, the defenders defended and the attckers attacked. Novel. The fact that we didnt have a full back out of position everytime we lost the ball helped limit them when they were in possession. From open play stoke were hopeless bar one slip up from sylvinho. That had much to do with the defensive shape.

In attack we played with a true wideman in petrov so the shape worked. It was easy to spread the play. The system was 4-4-2 ish with Ireland dropping off to make 4-4-1-1 in the second half.

What impressed me was how we changed style a few times in the game. We started trying to pass our way through. We then moved the front 4 into different positions and broke through the channels. Then we brought on Richards and competed in the aerial battle. Then we brought on Craig and he stretched them. Then we went back to football and played the game out. High tempo stuff and stoke couldnt keep up. Without sylvinhos error for the Tuncay effort we never looked in trouble and for the first time in a while, once the first goal went in i knew we would hang on and see the game though.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Goaters 103 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:25 pm

We looked more obdurate and for want of a better word/s, harder to beat.

Kept our shape better, and picked our moments to go bombing forward in the game. Two goals at home and a clean sheet, seeing the game our comfortably when holding a lead at home - something that has seemed to be a problem in the past.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby frannylee » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:38 pm

There seemed to be a new feeling amongst the players today - confidence

They knew what they were supposed to be doing and where on the pitch they were suposed to be doing it

Mancini and Kidd had a plan A and a plan B (and in all probability plans C through to Z as well)
It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have.
frannylee
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Have a guess ??!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum