Mancini Not Popular In England?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mancini Not Popular In England?

Postby King Kev » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Just read this on timesonline, it was the first I heard about him not being popular here, Can anybody shed any light on this?

ROBERTO MANCINI helped diffuse a little of the controversy surrounding his appointment as Manchester City manager by presiding over victory in his first game, then paying tribute to his predecessor, Mark Hughes.

After seeing his side defeat Stoke to gain ground on the teams above them, Mancini said he understood why Hughes’ dismissal had caused angst and denied rumours there had been a fall-out in training between himself and Craig Bellamy, one of Hughes’ main allies.

“Bellamy’s my friend,” said Mancini, who had dropped the striker from City’s line-up in favour of Robinho but brought on Bellamy in the second half after the Brazilian performed pitifully. “I spoke to him [Bellamy]. There are no problems. I think all the players are happy,” Mancini said. “I spoke to [Bellamy] because we have two games in three days and I need the players at 100 per cent.”

Addressing the sacking of Hughes, Mancini said: “Mark was a fantastic player in England and for Wales. He’s popular. I’m not popular in England. I’m popular in Italy. But it doesn’t matter.” Having heard City supporters sing his name towards the end of a hard-earned victory at Eastlands, with Carlos Tevez and Martin Petrov scoring, Mancini added: “I’m happy for the fans but I can answer to the fans only through my work. I love the crowd in England and the players responded to my message. Everyone is happy.”
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Mancini Not Popular In England?

Postby Vhero » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't think he meant he's not popular just not well known.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ronk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Not popular != unpopular

(the reverse is not true though).
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:38 pm

He's right, I didn't like the way his scarf was wrapped :-0
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Swales4ever » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Vhero wrote:I don't think he meant he's not popular just not well known.

it is.
Given the current awfull attitude of media, even if his comittment should be 100 % to onfield tactical works also considering the busy schedule, I would strongly reccomend him to hire one amongst the plenty of first class language teacher for foreigners, to follow him during working day and training him on moment by moment basis same as he does with players on the field.
Perahaps his poor language is better that Ancelotti and Superman Capello, but City situation is peculiar.

I did myself when started working in London, even if had already spent summers in England when studying and worked much.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby shawzy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:He's right, I didn't like the way his scarf was wrapped :-0

I can bet it causes a fashion trend with the fans..Watch out for it :-$
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:45 pm

shawzy wrote:

Mmmmmm, football scarfs.................It'll never catch on ;-)

PS. 2 birds behind me were too busy drooling over Mancio than watch the game!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby walmai » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:10 pm

He's popular enough with my missus!

I took that to mean that he's not well known too.

I should also say that this guff about the 'dishonour' of Hughes' sacking is daft as well. So, a very rich club decides to make a change? So what? Its a cut-throat business and Hughes will get the pay-off and be back in the Premiership before too long. And I say that from the position of actually thinking Hughes is a decent enough bloke and coach.

The best bit of the story is how Mancini has already flatly contradicted that berk Cook in your boardroom, about Liverpool. Cook comes across as the most un-City-like bloke. To me at least.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Lee_Kinda » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:16 pm

walmai wrote:

I should also say that this guff about the 'dishonour' of Hughes' sacking is daft as well. So, a very rich club decides to make a change? So what? Its a cut-throat business and Hughes will get the pay-off and be back in the Premiership before too long. And I say that from the position of actually thinking Hughes is a decent enough bloke and coach.

The best bit of the story is how Mancini has already flatly contradicted that berk Cook in your boardroom, about Liverpool. Cook comes across as the most un-City-like bloke. To me at least.

Would you mind hughes at west ham?
I think zola will be top and at times you play some great football, but your place in the league isn't great.

Thoughts?
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john68 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:19 pm

Walmai,
I am interested in one sentence of your post...."Cook comes across as the most un-City like bloke".

You pop in here quite often and know us quite well. That sentence implies that threre is a "City like" quality that exists. As a blue, I know how I would like the World to see my club...but you, as an outsider...what do you see as that city quality?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:35 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
shawzy wrote:

Hehe, he's always been a hit with the ladies :) As for the scarf, I don't remember about his days as Fiorentina and Lazio manager but he always had it around his neck when managing Inter Milan, glad he kept up the "tradition" here.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:26 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
shawzy wrote:

Hehe, he's always been a hit with the ladies :) As for the scarf, I don't remember about his days as Fiorentina and Lazio manager but he always had it around his neck when managing Inter Milan, glad he kept up the "tradition" here.

he had them in Lazio as well. I can remember it. Suprised you don't to be honest as I would've expected it to piss Roma supporters big time!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:32 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
shawzy wrote:

he had them in Lazio as well. I can remember it. Suprised you don't to be honest as I would've expected it to piss Roma supporters big time!
We were pissed enough at him for his past as a Lazio player already so there was no way he could piss us off more with the scarf. Well, not me at least. But in the years when he was at Inter the rivality between Roma and Inter became fiercer (although given the number of transfers between the two clubs you wouldn't guess it, but for the fans it has) so I clearly remember him always having the Inter scarf.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby walmai » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 am

john68 wrote:Walmai,
I am interested in one sentence of your post...."Cook comes across as the most un-City like bloke".

You pop in here quite often and know us quite well. That sentence implies that threre is a "City like" quality that exists. As a blue, I know how I would like the World to see my club...but you, as an outsider...what do you see as that city quality?

That's me on the spot now!

My main City supporting mate is not in fact a Manc - but an Ulsterman (STH nonetheless) - but I've met enough of you through the years to have built up some kind of profile.

I think Manc's in general know how to hold themselves, know how to put themselves across properly and can also have a laugh with other people without coming over too self-important (like fans of other clubs on the outskirts of your fine city, if I can put it like that - Bolton are some of the most arrogant tossers I have ever met). I don't see that Gary Cook has much time for the standard fan, to be honest; he comes across as a number-cruncher who knows precious little about what actually makes a grown man (woman) spend large portions of his/her hard-earned supporting their team. And frankly, even from the outside, he appears to be talking shit most of the time.

City are similar to certain other Northern clubs (Sunderland is one obvious choice, as is Sheff Weds) in my estimation - they are generally known to be staunch, despite also being long-suffering. Cook, on the other hand, probably didn't support a club before he got the job at COMS.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby walmai » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:56 am

Lee_Kinda wrote:
walmai wrote:

Would you mind hughes at west ham?
I think zola will be top and at times you play some great football, but your place in the league isn't great.

Thoughts?

Hughes would do well at West Ham; we're a predominantly British squad and he would get the best out of Cole, Parker, Noble, Collison etc. He's a sound, solid Prem-league manager.

Zola is a rookie who, on occasion so far this term, has cost us points because of tactical naivety. We could struggle all season, in truth and I'd sooner have a more obvious battler in the dug-out.

Having said that, when his passing game gets going, it is good to watch. The question therefore is whether we can pass our way out of the bottom three, or uncharacteristically kick our way out of it...
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Socrates » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:28 pm

walmai wrote:

My main City supporting mate is not in fact a Manc - but an Ulsterman (STH nonetheless) - but I've met enough of you through the years to have built up some kind of profile.

I think Manc's in general know how to hold themselves, know how to put themselves across properly and can also have a laugh with other people without coming over too self-important (like fans of other clubs on the outskirts of your fine city, if I can put it like that - Bolton are some of the most arrogant tossers I have ever met). I don't see that Gary Cook has much time for the standard fan, to be honest; he comes across as a number-cruncher who knows precious little about what actually makes a grown man (woman) spend large portions of his/her hard-earned supporting their team. And frankly, even from the outside, he appears to be talking shit most of the time.

City are similar to certain other Northern clubs (Sunderland is one obvious choice, as is Sheff Weds) in my estimation - they are generally known to be staunch, despite also being long-suffering. Cook, on the other hand, probably didn't support a club before he got the job at COMS.

He supported Birmingham. One of his first foot-in-mouth embarrassing moments was when he called for an end to promotion and relegation from the Prem, and a smaller league, even though he said he knew that would mean his own club Birmingham would never be in it.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Socrates wrote:
walmai wrote:

He supported Birmingham. One of his first foot-in-mouth embarrassing moments was when he called for an end to promotion and relegation from the Prem, and a smaller league, even though he said he knew that would mean his own club Birmingham would never be in it.

I DONT WANT TO TURN THIS INTO A COOK OUT THREAD BUT FUCK ME , I REMEMBER THAT ONE..........IT MADE MY BLOOD BOIL AT THE TIME.
THANKFULLY IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Slim » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:28 pm

I think he will be extremely popular amongst neutrals, unfortunately with bags of cash people tend to hate easier and if he starts splashing the cash around it will be easy for morons to take potshots.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum