Mancini Game 2..Thoughts

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mancini Game 2..Thoughts

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:40 am

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:This forum is awesome when we're winning!

Some great comments lads. I don't get to see the matches alot of the time coz i'm in a hostel in Oz, so rely on you lot for the info an you're serving me well!

I just can't wait to get back in my seat at Eastlands, it really pains me not bein a part of it all.

Everyone is bery balanced in their views, we're doin really well but it is only 2 games. Feels great to be this positive bout the future of City. Not gettin into a debate about previous managers but I would like to say that the arrival of the new one seems to have done more than just freshed up the team, the tactics being changed mid-game etc are a joy to behold.

can't believe you took a break from poontang to post that.

gayer.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Crazy_Cabbie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:55 am

Great to have a manager who can actually change things round a bit and make substitutions which actually make an impact,

Can see now why Sir Alex was so furious at Mark Hughes' sacking!!!..
Crazy_Cabbie
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:14 am

We are now defending as a unit which helps, and again looked harder to beat.

Changes were made to the line-up and formation when needed, and the flexibility showed in this area has been refreshing as Mancini has had to adapt with the fit players he has. Two clean sheets were just what the doctor ordered and we can move on with confidence.

Good job so far, lets not get carried away too much as we have much bigger tests ahead. However if we do beat U****d over two legs, then I reserve the right to go completely overboard myself.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby dazby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:27 am

The two massive massive major things for me are:

1. The midfield are working their arses off creating options for the defenders to pass the ball.

When the defenders have the ball the midfield are working as a unit to create passing triangles to enable us to retain possession and pass the ball around. It's the work off the ball that is assisting the player with the ball. And as a result:

2. We are not hoofing. Ever.

Twice against wolves we lost the ball in dangerous positions but at no stage did it appear that hoofing was an option. The
players worked hard and retained the ball.

We now look like a top 4 team. I love it.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby M147WN » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:55 am

Bear60 wrote:I like the way he gets involved , right at the end he was telling everyone to get back, and the way he makes changes if things are not going right.

Thats a lovely sig mate!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby mcfc1632 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Saw this article on newsnow - sums a lot of my thoughts about the flexibility / tactics I 'think' I have seen from Mancini in the 2 games - yes I know I may be imagining it - it may be my wishful thinking - but I hope not;

Two victories against clubs that City should beat; more importantly two clean sheets for the maligned defense. Six points, five goals scored, Tevez on fire and huge optimism all around. And I'm going to talk about none of that...

Well sort of. What has struck me has been the tactics. Now normally when you hear talk about tactics what are being discussed are formations. The Premier League may be considered the best league in the world, but tactically there is very little evidence of sophistication.

You may recall Jose Mourinho talking about tactics when he moved to Inter. How within a game he had to change his tactics numerous times to counter the in game moves of the opposing manager. When at Chelsea Mourinho was notable for making specific nuanced moves depending on the circumstances of the game. And what was so striking was that you rarely saw that from other Premier League managers.

Yes this is a simplistic overview, but the sense is that in the Premier League a team formation is sent out. At half time changes may occur, maybe the odd substitution or the occasional formation change. However, much more likely is that the same formation that started the game also ends the game and the biggest change is a like for like substitution that brings on fresh legs.

Contrast this with Mancini. Against Stoke Petrov starts on the left and honestly I'm still not sure of the exact formation, other than Barry and de Jong anchoring, as there is a lot of movement and switching of roles. But quickly it is seen by Mancini that Petrov isn't working on the left. No waiting until half time instead a move is made immediately to switch the Bulgarian to the right. The result? A 2-0 lead at half time with the first goal scored by an unmarked Petrov coming in from the right.

Similarly against Wolves, alas a game I did not see, reports are of Bellamy being moved early in the game to play closer to Tevez with the resulting comfortable win.

I like this; a lot. I have no idea if Mancini is the long term answer for the club but we have seen in two games more tactical situation awareness than you normally see in an entire Premier League weekend.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:06 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Similarly against Wolves, alas a game I did not see, reports are of Bellamy being moved early in the game to play closer to Tevez with the resulting comfortable win.

I like this; a lot. I have no idea if Mancini is the long term answer for the club but we have seen in two games more tactical situation awareness than you normally see in an entire Premier League weekend.

It was said the next day in one report that Wolves were actually worse than he thought, that he gave them too much respect. Consequently by us playing 5 in midfield they were just lumping it forward and putting us under pressure, and we were in effect nullifying one of our midfield players. So as soon as he saw this he put Bellers up front with Carlos and the whole game changed, taking pressure to them. Add to that of course that the 'lesser' team will always go hell for leather for the first period, until they start getting knackered, so by the end we were stringing 36 passes together without a challenge!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum