Mancini Game 2..Thoughts

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mancini Game 2..Thoughts

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Don't want to sound like knob but I told you so!

In reality early days but he has already identified our weaknesses on the pitch and we seem to have eradicated silly tactical errors that lead to goals conceded before.

That was by the way very much the kind of performance that won him titles in Inter. I was always impressed the way they kept their nerve and just waited for those openings. And when they come they were lethal. It seems that's us now.

NQDP,How can you say told you so?

The guy has won this first two games but it is really really really early days if my memory serves me correct didnt Hughes win the first four of the season?
Mancini has made a very good start but im certainly gonna be sucking his dick after two games.

Say i told you so in five years when weve won countless pots and he has become ''our Arsene Wenger''.

:-)
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:21 pm

bobadji wrote:One negative point, I really don't think he knows where he can slot Ireland in at the moment, reminds me of Gerrard for England a little bit.

Did the commentary mention a bit of a hamstring problem for Stevie? He was looking lost out there and he was quickly taken off , excellent decision.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blackadder » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Very impressed with the substitution of Stevie for Garrido. Was Superman injured? Perhaps. But he slotted Garrido into left back and sent Zaba into the centre with De Jong.

From there the team played as a classical Italian counter-attacking side. Superb.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx
Blackadder
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Agueroooooooooooo

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:24 pm

bobadji wrote:One negative point, I really don't think he knows where he can slot Ireland in at the moment, reminds me of Gerrard for England a little bit.

He will not have that problem when everyone is fit. If Ireland doesnt fit in, he doesnt fit - because you know that Gerrard is a class player full stop - can you say that about Ireland?

I doubt he will be picking Ireland if he turns in performances like tonight on too many more occasions. What I did like is that he dragged him and made the team better - wheras in the past, Les would have dragged a player and changed the formation which would have caused us to concede a goal and shit it for the last 20 mins.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:27 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:

In reality early days but he has already identified our weaknesses on the pitch and we seem to have eradicated silly tactical errors that lead to goals conceded before.

That was by the way very much the kind of performance that won him titles in Inter. I was always impressed the way they kept their nerve and just waited for those openings. And when they come they were lethal. It seems that's us now.

The guy has won this first two games but it is really really really early days if my memory serves me correct didnt Hughes win the first four of the season?
Mancini has made a very good start but im certainly gonna be sucking his dick after two games.

Say i told you so in five years when weve won countless pots and he has become ''our Arsene Wenger''.

like I said, early days but those two wins are definitely worth, if not full blowjob, at least little rimming with the tip of the tongue.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Did the commentary mention a bit of a hamstring problem for Stevie? He was looking lost out there and he was quickly taken off , excellent decision.

Injury or not, he was well due off the pitch, stuck out like a sore thumb unfortunately did stevie. Not covered himself in glory tonight, either in the centre early on, or out wide after Mancini quite rightly changed it early doors.

Good performance from our new manager tonight, I am quietly very impressed with many things I saw tonight.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Patrick » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Its looking great - two clean sheets and a +5 GD BUT it was just stoke and wolves - I didnt make my mind up on hughes for 18 months and I chuckle a little that so many who hated hughes now see the new messiah after a week

God I hope they are right
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:35 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

like I said, early days but those two wins are definitely worth, if not full blowjob, at least little rimming with the tip of the tongue.

He deserves a carrot cake and a nice cup of tea plus a back rub.

Keep up the good work.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Is it an omen: Arsene/Arsenal, Mancini/Mancity ???

All I can say so far is, Hail King Roberto of Manchester !!
He's been spot on with his formation, his subs and most importantly the way he changes the game when the need arises. And I was also very impressed seeing him in the 94th minutes still giving instructions to the defence to secure the clean sheet,

Last edited by Dubaimancityfan on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby colonel_muck » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm

we went forward really well at times tonight but the main positive is the defence we won almost every header back there. what a performance people will look at this game and say 'its only wolves' but two or three weeks ago our team would have conceded goals for sure. well done roberto!
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Grob » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Mancini isnt scared to change things around if things are starting to go against us. The last fella waited untill we conceeded to make a change and then it was usually like for like.

Tactically sound and listening to the players comments hes working very hard with them on this.

2 wins, 5 goals, 2 clean sheets. Good times.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby frannylee » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Early days, but the initial signs are good. Mancini seems to have the tactical awareness that our previous gaffer was missing. Mancini also never sits back and thinks ''job done'' until the final whistle blows (just look at todays game - 3-0 up and 5 minutes to go and yet he is still shouting from the touchline for players to track back / watch their positioning etc )

Confident, composed and creative is how the team looks at present (albeit still with one or two patchy areas around the defence )

We are also looking deadly on the counter attack - we never used to look shabby in this area, but today we looked razor-sharp. If Bellamy had had his shooting boots on it could have been 5-0 quite easily

But 3-0 (albeit against Wolves) was a good result for a team that was playing its 2nd game in 3 days and for a match taking place on a Monday evening in freezing cold conditions

Cautiously optimistic probably sums things up for me at present
It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have.
frannylee
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Have a guess ??!!

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:07 am

Liking his tactical changes very much and positional discipline is looking professional once more from our defenders and midfielders.

Like with all our managers I will only pass real comments on their ability after a full season in charge.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:53 am

i think you mean you are NOT gonna be sucking his dick. i know yr not some libertine and you value yourself more than that.

Related: even my wife commented that City "looked less crazy. Before it seemed like anything could happen at any time and you wouldn't be surprised if you scored or they did. But now it seems a lot more calm and professional."

pretty much couldn't say it any better than that.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:18 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

i think you mean you are NOT gonna be sucking his dick. i know yr not some libertine and you value yourself more than that.

Related: even my wife commented that City "looked less crazy. Before it seemed like anything could happen at any time and you wouldn't be surprised if you scored or they did. But now it seems a lot more calm and professional."

pretty much couldn't say it any better than that.

cheers

Whoops my bad.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby M147WN » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:47 am

Lickers:-)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 am

Just got back and i'm very impressed again, never looked like concedeing and were yet again quality on the counter aswell with our all round attacking play. The final score could have easily been 5-0 and it's the most combfy i've seen us on the road in a long time.

I think we're on to a winner here boys.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Colin the King » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:56 am

I'm not one to get carried away, but on the evidence of the first two games, we have a cracking manager on our hands. Adaptability is crucial to success and it's something so many managers don't have- but as soon as Mancini identifies a problem, he's onto it and deals with it effectively. To change our shape from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 was perhaps just common sense- but it's the speed with which he did it. No indecision at all.

Substituting Ireland for Garrido was just the perfect move at the time. Zabaleta was struggling a little on the left, and with a goal lead we needed to keep things tight in the centre. Ireland was having a poor game, so bringing on Gaz killed two birds with one stone, and as it happened, he scored a beauty for good measure.

Giving our players clear and detailed instructions on the sideline is another big plus for me. The players' concentration and unity has improved tenfold in the last couple of games and I'm sure his constant communication is the biggest factor there. Our defenders look strong and confident for the first time in ages, our midfield is composed and has the best of both aspects- creative and destructive- and in attack we've got Tevez and Bellamy in exceptional form.

I thought tonight there was a perfect balance to the side, and the game plan was spot on- Wolves started off so energetically, there's no way it could have been sustained for 90 minutes so we kept things tight, dealt with their attacks and took the fizz out of the game by passing the ball around them in the early stages, and then as they tired- which was inevitable- we started to pounce and break at speed. Some of the football in the second half was first class, had Tevez scored from that one-touch move, it would surely have won goal of the season. So for me that's been the key word so far- balance. Strong in defence, threatening in attack.

I can't wait to see how the season develops- we have some cracking games to look forward to. Bring them on!
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Lee_R » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:28 am

Mick McCarthy - 'Well.. they brought that Italian in ant they.. n that argie lad scoring all them goals?.. I dont know.'
Lee_R

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:14 am

This forum is awesome when we're winning!

Some great comments lads. I don't get to see the matches alot of the time coz i'm in a hostel in Oz, so rely on you lot for the info an you're serving me well!

I just can't wait to get back in my seat at Eastlands, it really pains me not bein a part of it all.

Everyone is bery balanced in their views, we're doin really well but it is only 2 games. Feels great to be this positive bout the future of City. Not gettin into a debate about previous managers but I would like to say that the arrival of the new one seems to have done more than just freshed up the team, the tactics being changed mid-game etc are a joy to behold.
MARKMAKAVELI

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum